5.0 out of 5 stars I love my Alzo Full Spectrum Light Bulbs!
I am a painter of the 'visual art' variety. I use these bulbs in my artist lamps and they are wonderful. Gone are the days of painting at night then discovering in the light of day that my colors are all wrong! Also they are great for lighting my paintings for photographing them. These bulbs are really pretty tough...I knocked a lamp over and the bulb did not break,whew!
Published on December 4, 2009 by Carol Gallion

3.0 out of 5 stars Great light but too loud; 27 watt version was better for me
Published on April 21, 2011 by Alex

5.0 out of 5 stars I love my Alzo Full Spectrum Light Bulbs!, December 4, 2009
Carol Gallion (Summerfield, FL United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Full Spectrum Light Bulb - ALZO 45 Watt Compact Fluorescent CFL - 5500K- 120V - ALZO Joyous Light Daylight Pure White Light - 2800 Lumens (Tools & Home Improvement)

5.0 out of 5 stars This is the Light you have been searching for!, February 6, 2010
This light is beautiful! Reading under its light is an amazing experience. My text is clear, soft and very easy on the eyes. Its beautiful pure white light is made clear when you place it next to other so called white and full spectrum lights. Next to this they all have a yellow tone to one extent or another. It took me 10 expensive light purchases before I found this. Save your money and buy this one first then you can compare it to others and be ready to be shocked.

I like this tone so much that I have removed the long florescent tubes in my kitchen and changed the base to accept standard light bulbs so I can use this instead. Over time I will replace every light in my house with this exact light. At night if you lay under the light and close your eyes, you can almost trick your mind into thinking its soft sunlight... Simply wonderful for those that live in 25C temps every day.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best full-spectrum bulb I've found, August 1, 2011
I often don't get as much sunlight as I should due to screwy sleep patterns. Full spectrum lights are very helpful in this regard, so I can get "sunlight" even in the middle of the night.

The 5500K ALZO bulbs are the closest thing I've found to actual sunlight. I've seen reviews with proper colorimeter readings and such, but not having access to such gear, my basic test is to compare the color to natural sunlight through a window on a sunny day. The color these bulbs put out is quite close to that. I've also tried some photographic tests, calibrated with a gray card, and these bulbs produce the best results of the full spectrum bulbs I've tried.

The main downside with the 45W bulbs is that they are quite large, particularly being quite long at 7". You may need a larger harp, or a larger shade, or to relocate a standing lamp so the bulb can stick out but not be in your field of view. And for some lamps and most overhead fixtures, 45W bulbs won't fit at all. It's a limitation of the technology, of course, so any manufacturer's 45W CFL is going to be similarly sized. Due to the size issue, I only have one of these, at my desk, and a few 23W and 27W full spectrum bulbs elsewhere; it was easier and cheaper to use multiple smaller CFLs in most cases.

Keep in mind that your brain expects light to get yellower as it dims, part of the reason that "normal" bulbs are usually 2700 - 3000K and thus much more yellow. While these look like natural sunlight on a sunny day, at night the pure white light feels a bit sterile and clinical at first. I've come to prefer this as the dominant lighting at my desk (especially since my laptop LCD is 6500K), but I like to mix full spectrum bulbs in with smaller "normal" bulbs for overhead lighting, and even then only in rooms that I spend a lot of time in.

In short, these are about the best thing you'll find if you need sunlight indoors for whatever reason: sleep problems, mood disorders, photography, or just a preference for pure white light. Just keep the size of the bulb in mind...

5.0 out of 5 stars Mighty Bright, Mighty Big Bulb, Good for Photography, February 5, 2011
I bought the ALZO 45-Watt Photo CFL Full Spectrum Light Bulb to start my own poor-man's DIY photography lighting set-up. Before purchase, I read all the specs and liked the 5500 Kelvin rating. I also read all of the customer reviews and paid special attention to comments referring to its size. Everyone who says this light bulb is big is correct, and I've uploaded some pictures to prove it. It's significantly longer and wider than the bulbs you'll find at Walmart or Home Depot, and the particular bulb I own has a wide base that flares out abruptly which prevents it from fitting in a standard clamp light reflector, which, incidentally, prevents it from making proper contact inside the light socket. So for now I'm using the clamp lights without reflectors until I can find something suitable. Bear that in mind, since it may also prevent it from working with or fitting some standard light fixtures, as is clearly stated in the product description.

As far as light quality is concerned, I'm pretty ecstatic. These things are bright. What also appeals to me is the very slight hint of blue they produce. It's a pleasant change to the standard "yellow" color of most light bulbs, and it seems to help make objects look more crisp and sharp. The pictures I've taken using these bulbs are bright and clear. Granted they're probably not as powerful as professional-grade bulbs, but they'll do in a pinch if you're on a tight budget. I find their light is also easier on the eyes than I anticipated, so I would also recommend them for general use.

A number of reviewers have complained about the higher-pitched "hum" the bulbs emit. Since I'm only using them for photography, it doesn't bother me at all. Even then, the sound is pretty faint in my opinion, and I tend to keep things quiet. Still, since it presents a problem for some, I would suggest taking that into account if you need absolute quiet or if you find constant buzzing sounds annoying.

One other thing I like about these bulbs is their light weight. Sure, they're a little heavier than a 26-watt standard "yellow" bulb, but they seem to weigh less than a GE 3-way bulb you'll find at Walmart. Perhaps that has to do with the mechanics of the 3-way bulb, but for now find it fascinating.

So to recap,
PROS:
- Bright, white light with a slightly bluish tinge that makes details appear more sharp
- Easy on the eyes (subject to opinion)
- Light weight (though still heavier than a standard 26-watt bulb)

CONS:
- Too wide and/or long for a number of standard light fixtures. The abrupt flare of the base prevents it from working (making a proper electric connection) with some fixtures/light assemblies.
- Constant buzzing sound (though for me this is not a problem at all, even for general everyday use)
- Slightly bluish tinge (I like it, but I think a couple of reviewers have complained about it)

Bottom line: Highly recommended

4.0 out of 5 stars Great bulb, like to see it shrunk., November 22, 2011
I've had this bulb for several months now. I've been growing culinary herbs under it as I found the natural light from my window wasn't up to the task, especially in the dark months. My setup is a tall desk lamp with a metal reflector shade with the herbs surrounding the lamp in small pots.

As many have commented the bulb is very large, too large, and only for this do I deduct a star. The light is pleasing and good to read by and I've had no problem with any hum or buzz from my bulb as of yet.

I wish they had a smaller bulb that my ceiling fixtures could accommodate tho.

Update:
Well the bulb just up and burned out on me today, 2-25-11. I checked my account and I've had it about 2 weeks shy of a year. The bulb has been on most of the time since early last March so I figure it has some where in the neigborhood of 8000 hours of use under it's belt, which is 2000 short of the posted average lifespan. I'm tempted to deduct a star but it is only an "average" lifespan not a guarantee. I'll probably order two this time so I have one in reserve. Hope my herbs are OK on the widow sill for a week.

3.0 out of 5 stars Great light but too loud; 27 watt version was better for me, April 21, 2011
Wonderful white light. I tried these 45 watt bulbs as well as the Alzo 27-watt bulb. However it turns out that the only room I can use the 45 watt one in is the kitchen (where the annoying buzzing noise is drowned out by the fridge compressor running). For the rest of the house I will need to go with the 27-watt bulb since it does not have an audible buzz. Also the 45 watt is a monster; the 27-watt is smaller and fits better into lighting fixtures.

3.0 out of 5 stars PHOTO = No No, December 31, 2012
Photographer's and Videographers read:

I purchased these cfl's as an upgrade to default 23w 5500k, 82 cri, major green spike bulbs. I noticed, rather obviously when against a white/grey wall, these bulbs still have the "eerie" green cast they claim to not have. Let's put this into perspective.

I ordered these 45w full spectrum's from Alzo, expecting minimal green color spike. When compared to all readily-available box-store cfl's, yes they are better. When it comes to photo/video, when rendering in post production having too much green makes for bad final results. Why? Because the camera often compensates on Blue/Amber (for kelvin temps, white balance.) Rarely does green or magenta ever come into effect in outdoor photography, via the WB +/- Shift bracketing you can opt to do in camera, that is. It's always Red (Amber) and Blue (Cyan.)

Now, you've heard why I don't like these bulbs, for photography. Let me enlighten you on what intensity of dislike I have. It's not hate, it's just spite, for their false advertising. Don't be a sucker.

In camera, meaning White Balance / Kelvin Temperature / WB Shift +/-, Alzo Digital lights require 4900-5100 in-camera-reality, for a 5500k label. Also, they have a major green spike. Why do I say major? Well, a camera can WB Bracket inbetween different White Balances. Such as Daylight + Amber (Red) for more warmth in daytime. You can add up to 9 colors, moving 9 up on red is basically like going from Daylight to Cloudy. (More red compensates for more blue from no direct sun.)

Alzo Digital 45w CFL's have anywhere from 5-6 WB Brackets of green. Technically, this means it has 45-66% MORE geeen in it's spectrum of light it pushes on a subject. In Adobe Lightroom 4, you need to compensate with Magenta by +22, under the White Balance meter (which actually requires 4900-5100)

So, in summery for all you photo/video guys... Don't buy these. Don't be a fool. They have major false advertising. Find a bulb with Tri-phospher coating or a coating with more admitted Magenta in it's cast. Magenta soaks into red/yellow tones of skin better than an ugly green color cast. Green is in NO hair, skin, and rarely makeup. This means, when you compensate with Green's opposite, Magenta, the photo becomes washed out and fuzzy. If you want any excessive colors, stick with excessive Blue or Amber (Red.) Unless you're taking photos of plants, don't buy bulbs that emit a green cast!

Where can you buy amber/magenta, also known as higher quality phospher bulbs? Well I've done my research and compared several. BlueMax is alright, but the repurpose Longstar CFL's, by putting a BlueMax sticker over them. If you want bulbs with +2 in-camera WB Shift green (Yes, they still have green, but ONLY visible when you over-saturate and image to an extreme.) Instead of +5-6 WB Shift Green, you should look into Longstar 23w or 55w bulbs. In comparison with Alzo digital here, the green spike is significantly less than half on Longstar (or BlueMax) and you can buy the 23w for $3-5 on some websites. (I'm not paid by either company, I'm just sick and tired of false advertising, even CRI's lie and NO ONE has the balls to post spectrum statistics from a light meter or machine.)

Tips: Also, for T8 and T5, look into GE cinema lamps, BlueMax lamps, and there is more more I "think" it is a phillips lamp that is 98 CRI but it's 24" instead of 48".

More tips: When buying CFLs, higher quality phospher (inner white coating) helps protect the integrity of a full spectrum light. Tri-Phospher or rare earth phosphers are best. Higher quality phosphers decrease luminosity (light output) but have less and less Green Cast (caused by Mercury vapor inside the glass lamps.) So if you're comparing two lights blindly online... DO NOT choose the one with higher lumen output... Why??? Because it's most likely got cheaper phosphers, so more light (green, mercury vapor based light) leaks out. Don't settle for a few lumens!!

DON'T FALL FOR FALSE MARKETING TACTITCS!
Do your research :-)

Hope this helps fellow artists maintain their quality and integrity.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice side-effect, December 9, 2009
I bought this light because I needed something very bright to replace a halogen. At first I was disappointed to see that it was not as bright as I had hoped. But then I realised that the different spectrum somehow made up for it. I did not miss the brightness, because I could "see better" with this different spectrum.
I did not expect this effect at all. It is nice.

3.0 out of 5 stars Bright, White but not very Homey, February 24, 2010
This is a bright light! But in a living room? Not for our family. The light is too cold and sterile. It gives a stark feeling to the space. I wanted a feeling like warm sunlight, which is what I was assuming I would get with a full-spectrum bulb, but for that you really need some yellow to balance it, I guess.

Now, we also bought a 4-pack of the 27 watt bulbs by the same manufacturer and we like them better. They are not quite as bright and with other bulbs in the room, they balance out to have a very nice light. I bought this to help combat seasonal affective disorder. I live in the northern states and we haven't seen the sun for a long time. I will try this bulb in the garage where bright light is really needed when you are looking for something. No need to send it back. It is a good bulb, but better for photography applications than household ones. Be aware that you may need a larger harp if you intend on using this with a lampshade and it probably won't fit inside most overhead glass fixtures. This is a very large bulb. It did come on instantly--no wait or hum.

4.0 out of 5 stars Bright, but noisy, October 22, 2011
This bulb lives up to the stats it has listed. It is quite bright, and the light it casts is pretty close to daylight. It's certainly a lot "whiter" than your normal 2300k CFL bulbs. The downside is that, as others have mentioned, there's a quiet buzz produced by the light. It's not a big deal unless you're in a very quiet room or right next to it, but I can certainly see how it would bother some people. Due to both the brightness and the noise, it may be best put in a lamp on the other side of the room from where you normally sit.

Rate and Discover Movies