Automotive Holiday Deals Books Gift Guide Books Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_plcc_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Beauty Gifts Gifts Under $50 Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Gift Card Offer bf15 bf15 bf15 $30 Off Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Black Friday Deals Shop Now DOTD

on May 23, 2012
First off, I am a huge fan of Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood. It is the first anime in about 10 years or so that i've watched more than once. The characters' emotions and developement felt very real to me, and I love the mix of humor and seriousness that makes you both laugh and cry throughout the story. I also happen to love the english voice actors, even though I realize there are huge sub vs dub camps out there. I personally tend to try to watch the English versions if the voice actors do it justice, and I think they largely succeed in this particular anime. But enough about that.

This dvd/bluray combo, especially at the roughly 13 dollars price, was worth it for me. I know some are upset about having to buy both, but i've paid 13 dollars for just a dvd before, so a 2-for-1 deal for what I got was good for me. I primarily buy bluray now but still enjoy having dvd or digital copies for use with my computer player.

I enjoyed all 4 of the OVA's, having never seen them before. Each one averaged about 15 minutes in length (the total for all 4 was about an hour). The first one, The Blind Alchemist, was a relatively serious OVA that deals with the Elric brothers investigating a report of a possible successful human transmutation. It had the usual funny Al/Ed faces and antics in a few spots, but overall it had a rather grave tone, similar to Shou Tucker episodes.

The second OVA, Simple People, focused on the Elrics visiting Winry for repairs. It explains Winry's fondness for earrings. Riza Hawkeye has cameo appearances as well, and a rather poignant scene at the end. I really enjoyed this one, it had me laughing out loud at parts, and was a lighthearted break after the first OVA.

The third OVA, The Chronicle of Teacher, was another lighthearted and funny episode. As the title suggests, it features Izumi "Teacher" Curtis, Ed and Al's infamous teacher and one of my favorite minor characters of the series. It chronicles the month she spent 'training' out near Fort Briggs when she was 18. Without spoiling it, the end of the episode cracked me up.

The fourth OVA, Yet Another Man's Battlefield, was definately my favorite of the serious OVAs. It is the backstory of how Mustang and Hughes met in military bootcamp, and also shows some scenes of them in the Ishvalan War. I loved seeing Hughes again, and this episode almost had me teary a few times with the serious subject matter involved with the war. I loved it and it felt very real.

The bonus material of this dvd was the Four Panel Comic Theater. It is a collection of 16 comic short cartoons, found under the extras. Playing all of them took about 30 minutes. As their name suggests, they imitate a 4 panel comic cartoon strip. At the beginning of each one, the curtain lifts and a chibi style character from the show introduces it, a bit like an episode of Saturday Night Live. Following that are 4 short mini skit-style gags drawn with overly exaggerated animation. The humor was hit and miss sometimes for me, but overall they were cute and made me chuckle. They roughly follow the chronology of the Brotherhood anime so far as the characters featured in each episode and do a good job of poking fun at many scenes from the series. They are definately worth a watch.

Overall, i'm glad I bought this to add to my Brotherhood collection. I think any fan of the series would enjoy it, and the backstories flesh out the main series well. Enjoy!
on May 22, 2012
For the inexpensive price, this DVD/Blu-Ray is well worth it. It contain 4 OVA's (all entertaining in their own special way) and 16 funny mini episodes presented in a comic-strip format parodying the series as a whole. This is a standard release, no commentary, only extras are the 16 mini episodes. The ovas all together run about 1 full hour. Buy this if you're a fan its a great deal.
on March 23, 2012
I DID NOT BUY THE BOX SET. However, since I saw there was so few reviews, I decided to write one, since I have seen the OVAs that are on the set.

OVA 1: The Blind Alchemist
Ed and Al hear of a blind alchemist named Judau who had supposedly performed successful human transmutation. Is it possible that human transmutation can be used to bring back the dead?

OVA 2: Simple People
A short story about Ed and his many trips to Risembool for arm repairs.

OVA 3: The Chronicle of Teacher
A story about Ed and Al's teacher, Izumi Curtis, and her training near Briggs.

OVA 4: Yet Another Man's Battlefield
A look into back at an 18 year-old Roy Mustang and his time at bootcamp.

Unfortunately, I don't know anything about the Comic Theater. However, I really enjoyed all four of the OVAs. However, they are side stories, and are not essential to understanding the basic plot of Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood. Hope I helped!
66 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
In Japan, "Fullmetal Alchemist" (Hagane no Renkinjutushi) has been a popular long running anime and manga series created by mangaka Hiromu Arakawa. The original manga series was serialized in Square Enix's "Shonen Gangan" since 2001, while the 51-episode TV series created by BONES was shown on television in 2004 and was followed by a film to conclude the series.

The popularity of "Fullmetal Alchemist" has led to many novels, OVA's, drama CD's, soundtracks and video games and a lot of these releases have been distributed in various countries and its popularity is a testament of how people have come to love the series which has won many awards in Japan including being voted for the #1 most popular anime series of all time.

Despite it's popularity, the series could have gone on longer but because the anime series was created when the manga was only several years old, the anime series only lasted 51-episodes and there were differences between what the director featured on the anime series and what Arakawa had in the manga.

So, in 2009, a new series titled "Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood" (Hagane no Renkinjutsushi: Furumetaru Arukemisuto) was created by BONES and this time around, the series would follow the manga much more closely. A total of 64 episodes were made, including a film and also 4 OVA's. With the series and film being released by FUNimation Entertainment in the United States on Blu-ray and DVD, now the four OVA's will be available on Blu-ray and DVD in May 2012.

To make sure that there is a difference between this series aside from the storyline differences compared to the original, the staff is different this time around as well as the character designs. The director for "Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood" would feature the following production team: Yasuhiro Irie (who worked on RahXephon", "Cowboy Bebop", "Macross Plus", "Gunparade March"), series composition by Hiroshi Ohnogi ("Eureka Seven", "Area 88, "Aquarion", "RahXephon", "RIN", "Skullman"), music by Akira Senju ("Red Garden", "Mobile Suit Victory Gundam", "Silent Service"), character designs by Hiroki Kanno ("Angelic Layer", "Eureka Seven", "Ninja Scroll", "RahXephon") and art design by Takeshi Satou ("Mobile Suit Gundam 00″, "Ghost Slayers Ayashi", "Please Twins!").

"Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood - OVA Collection" features the following four episodes (each episode is about 15 minutes each) on one Blu-ray disc. Here is a basic summary of each episode:

OVA EPISODE 1 - The Blind Alchemist - Edward and Al visit a blind alchemist who was rumored to have pulled off a perfect human transmutation.
OVA EPISODE 2 - Simple People - With Edward constantly breaking his automail during battle and having Winry fix them, the Elric brothers decide to give Winry a present each time she does have to fix them.
OVA EPISODE 3 - The Chronicle of Teacher - The history of Izumi Hartnet and her training and first encounter with Sig.
OVA EPISODE 4 - Yet Another Man's Battlefield - The story of how Roy and Hughes met each other back in military boot camp.

"Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood - OVA Collection" is presented in 1080p High Definition and because this is an OVA, productions on OVA's are much better than their television counterpart. Backgrounds are much more detailed, colors are vibrant and for the most part, the series looks fantastic on Blu-ray. I didn't see any compression artifacts and even during scenes with a lot of red or amber, I didn't see any banding issues.

"Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood - OVA Collection" is presented in English Dolby TrueHD 5.1 and in Japanese Dolby TrueHD 2.0. Overall, the 5.1 lossless soundtrack sounds very good and there is a good amount of surround usage and its much more immersive than its Japanese lossless counterpart.

The Japanese lossless soundtrack is still good, especially if you have a receiver in which you can change the setting to stereo on all channels. I do prefer the Japanese lossless soundtrack in terms of acting. For example, the scene where Edward is screaming in pain after performing the transmutation is incredibly acted by Romi Paku, Vic Mignona did a good job but I felt Romi was much more emotional and you can hear that pain in his voice. But the English lossless of course, has a much better sound overall. So, it all comes down to preference.

Subtitles are in English.

"Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood - OVA Collection" comes with the following special features:

FULLMETAL FOUR-PANEL COMIC THEATER - (40:30) A collection of 16 fun and hilarious four-panel comic short stories which are essentially parodies of scenes from the "Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood" TV series.
TRAILERS - FUNimation Entertainment trailers

"Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood - OVA Collection" comes with both the Blu-ray and DVD edition of the OVA's.

"Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood OVA Collection" is a fun collection of short OVA episodes and with both the TV series and film being released by FUNimation Entertainment on Blu-ray and DVD, at least it gives fans more episodes to watch.

Prior to watching these OVA episodes, I was curious if they were going to be crazy like the previous series, "Fullmetal Alchemist" and its OVA's. But essentially what we have with these OVA episodes are actually storylines that reveal the past of other characters.

Primarily for the third and fourth episodes feature the history of characters. We learn how Izumi (Edward and Al's teacher) and Sig met and what she was doing before they met. And also a fascinating episode involving Roy Mustang and Maes Hughes. Two very good friends who were not as close when they first met.

But the other two episodes are just as entertaining but "The Blind Alchemist" definitely had some surprises as Ed and Al encounter another person who tried to use human transmutation, while "Simple People" actually show the emotions that Winry has towards Edward, but also a little of what Risa may have towards Roy.

While "Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood" (the TV series) is based on the manga series, these OVA's are standalone and are not based on the manga.

As mentioned, I wondered if there would be any craziness featured on the FA:B OVA series like the original series OVA release which dabbled with super-deformed characters. And sure enough, fans will get a taste of that craziness with the 16 Four-Panel Comic Theater presented in the special features of the Blu-ray and DVD release.

Overall, "Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood - OVA Collection" has a good balance of humorous and serious episodes but for the most part, with the series completed and the film having been released in the US, this is essentially the final release for "Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood" on Blu-ray and DVD for now. And if you are a fan and have watched every TV episode and the movie, then more than likely, you will enjoy this Blu-ray and DVD release of these OVA episodes.

on December 1, 2013
Well worth getting - not just for the four side stories, but especially for the Fullmetal 4-Panel Comic (4-Koma) Theater shorts! To hear Travis Willingham do a goofy, rapping Colonel Mustang is definitely an awesome highlight.
on September 20, 2014
I got this for about $10, and it was so incredibly worth the money.
If you're a fan of FMA, then this is a no brainer - you need this collection. Listen to all of the happy reviewers! The funny shorts are cute with one or two that really outshine the rest (oh, snap, snap! spark, spark!), but the real treasure is the four extra episodes.
The Blind Alchemist was one of those filler episodes. I understood why they cut it, but it had that same feeling we had from the original series where they were adventuring more and fighting like crazy less. Don't get me wrong - Brotherhood had it right, but sometimes I wish we could have slowed down. If you remember the episode with Majhal from the original, it's reminiscent of it, but this episode is done a thousand times better, in my opinion. Worth watching, but the episode would have been more powerful to me if the end dialogue was just: "Yeah..." and Ed would end it there. Otherwise, it came off a bit cheesy to me. That'll make sense when you watch it; I promise.
Simple People was worth the watch. It's funny, cute, and light-hearted. I'm not a huge fan of Winry myself, but she really came through in this episode. And I'd watch anything with Riza Hawkeye in it, so that didn't fail to promise. Great episode that was a bit slow for the series, so that's why it was probably hacked.
The Chronicle of Teacher is exactly what you think it is. It's a great episode, but it doesn't belong in the series. It's best when served like this as a bonus. And let me just say - the scene after the credits was one of the funniest things I have ever seen. Not gonna say more. It's an amazing episode - love it to death.
Yet Another Man's Battlefield is perfect. I can't even talk about it. I'm even angry that they cut it from Brotherhood. This episode is one of my favorites from the entire series, maybe my number one. This is the one you need to see. As I'm a diehard fan of both Roy Mustang and Maes Hughes, this episode detailing their friendship was more than great - it blew me away. It's powerful.
Other than the episodes themselves, the shipping was earlier than expected and the box was unharmed. My only nitpick on the cover is Hohenheim's presence. I love Hohenheim, but... why is he there? He didn't make an appearance in any of the extra episodes, and he was barely in the comic theatre. Whatever. He's cool. It ends at that. Though a bit confusing, it's obviously not a problem that should prevent anyone from buying this set.
Since I bought this, I've watched it again and again. More than the main series, too! Mostly because it's an easy watch like a movie with no strings attached, and I get to see all of my favorite characters in action again.
I spent just over $10 for this, and it was worth every penny. I don't know if I've ever gotten a better value!
on June 13, 2013
Be it "Brotherhood", the original series or the movies, this is, in my opinion, the best anime ever. It has no equal and this is another installment in that top flight lineage. Any FMA fan will like these, I know I do.
on April 26, 2013
nice complement to the series, doesn't really add anything new, but still cute to watch. Izumi will always be a favorite so more of her story is a good thing.
on May 23, 2012
Just finished watching this i have to say it a great addition to the Fullmetal alchemist Collection. There are four stories at about 12 minute each. The stories are well written and three give a history and nuance to the characters, from Roy's and Hughes first meeting and days in the Ishval war to the earrings that Ed held for Winry during the time skip. one word of advice when watching third episode there is a extra short in the credits.

The Comic Theater is a great special feature which comprised of the four panel omakes that were in the back of the original manga animated with the english voice actors reprising their roles they are about 2 minutes each and there are 16 of them.
on December 14, 2013
I think the Brotherhood series is the best of the FMA series, and have watched all episodes numerous times.
If you are a big fan of the series, you will love this disc.
It's got short storylines involving different characters from the series and gives a better insight into what makes the characters who they are.
It also has a ton of the cartoon type animated comedy shorts. They're all done in the simple animation style like the ending credits from later epsiodes of the series.

If you like FMA Brotherhood, you'll be very happy with this.