5.0 out of 5 stars FULLTONE GRINDS ....Oh Yea Baby!!!
Published on March 6, 2008 by D. Vergilis

3.0 out of 5 stars Great Tone! Cheap Switch/Design
I first heard of Fulltone through professional musicians. This pedal is every bit as advertised for tone.

Published 16 months ago by Tommy

5.0 out of 5 stars FULLTONE GRINDS ....Oh Yea Baby!!!, March 6, 2008
This review is from: Fulltone GT-500 Distortion and Overdrive Booster
I have been playing guitar for some 20 years or more and it's the simple things that get my attention as far as gear goes, keeping my attention is a hard thing to do with gear. Face it; we all do the same things, nice new pedals, great looking guitars, or amps that we can't live without. Wow...It's called G.A.S. (Gear Acquisition Syndrome). In the end we keep the things that work and the rest of the "stuff" gets sold on eBay (for a loss in most cases). Fulltone pedals have become the "attention holders" for me now. I have 3 on my pedal board (OCD, GT-500, and the Octafuzz) along with some MXR time based effects. The GT-500 is the most versatile distortion pedal that I have used period. The thing is built like a tank, has simple controls and it is really 2 pedals in one. The clean boost side has tone controls to fine tune if needed and a Drive control that will add a slight amount of grind for great 60's and 70's rhythm tones. The volume is for output and output is has, with lots of throttle so look out, it will seriously drive a tube amp into OD. The Distortion side has volume and drive controls. Just set the drive up past 1 o'clock and it grinds wicked. There are 2 unique things on this pedal that I love: 1. the mids frequency control for the distortion side (it's an inductor like in a WAH pedal, scooped Mids anyone?). 2. The switch that allows you to choose the order of the pedals, booster into distortion (Very High Gain!!) or distortion into booster (Very Loud!!). Wicked tone from fat warm distorted Fender amp to the distinct shrill grinding of a Marshall or overdriven Vox. It's all in there, just need to find your tone. It costs more than most pedals but it's really 2 pedals in one so look at it that way. It's the last one I plan on buying. Try it, then keep it...

5.0 out of 5 stars A great box!, December 20, 2010
This review is from: Fulltone GT-500 Distortion and Overdrive Booster
Like most guitarists that I know, buying/trying gear is a way of life. Along the way, I've messed around with probably hundreds of effects pedals. After many years, there are only a few that have hung around. This is one of them. In fact, I've continued using just a very few OD/distortions, all of them being by Fulltone. This one is my go-to Swiss army knife. Not only makes a variety of sounds, but I find all of them very usable from one end of the range to the other. Really not hard to dial in for me, just have to listen carefully to what the movement of the knobs will do. I like the basic flavors provided by the left side, which is a cleanish to overdrive, and the right which starts at OD and moves out to distortion. Especially interesting is the right side mid control which is actually for a wah pedal. Way more effective, in this application anyway, than a standard mid control. Together, you can mix up a bunch of very musical textures, the toggle that switches the order of the two sides also being very useful. Just a great all-aroung tool. A beautifully laid out package & certainly built to last under even heavy use. I expect it will be around long after I'm gone as well, which is kind of cool to think about, too.

3.0 out of 5 stars Great Tone! Cheap Switch/Design, March 19, 2013
This review is from: Fulltone GT-500 Distortion and Overdrive Booster

However, the switches and bypass design are not real swift. They pop when engaging the channels, particularly the distortion channel - and it is LOUD! Pedals should not do that. I also tested out a used pedal in the music store; the distortion switch on that one only occasionally engaged. While the used pedal could have had a history of abuse, I speculate the switches are simply cheap and the design is not true bypass. I can hear all sorts if noise when I play with the other settings on the pedal, as well. I moved pedal in my chain order, to no avail.

This was the last thing I expected out of a Fulltone. Right now I'm just trying to turn it on/off while there's lots of noise going on stage.

I like the pedal's tone, but the device is quickly becoming expendable. I'm downgrading my rating to 3 stars. Give it a C.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great pedal., December 30, 2008
T. Jones (Cedar Rapids Area, Iowa USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Fulltone GT-500 Distortion and Overdrive Booster
I'll start with my intent behind the purchase of this pedal. I have a Carvin X100 (tube)amp that I wanted to push the clean channel to gain a bit of crunch out of. Unfortunately the Clean channel that I have will only lend itself to speaker break-up, but remains clean for the most part.

The GT-500 was my fix for this, attempting to overdrive the initial gain stages of the clean channel to push them beyond the safe headroom designed into the amp. This pedal definitely works. So, mission accomplished.

The overdrive is a nice, warm, balanced overdrive that leans a bit toward fuzz. The distortion is also a little fuzz like, but definitely sounds appealing to my ear. There is a Rat that will be leaving my pedal board soon, due to the similar sound, but less noisy distortion of this pedal.

This is a great sounding boost/overdrive/distortion pedal with enough tweakabilty to provide many different tones, while allowing the tone of your amplifier to come through.

Great pedal!

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice pedal, January 12, 2014
This review is from: Fulltone GT-500 Distortion and Overdrive Booster
This pedal is very versatile and has a looot of gain. It has a wide range of sounds, use it as a boost / overdrive and high gain distortion.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it, for my specific application, December 27, 2013
This review is from: Fulltone GT-500 Distortion and Overdrive Booster
I front a Rock/Country band, play an American Telecaster Deluxe Thinline (mostly rhythm), and was looking for a pedal (or two) that would give me some slight crunch during verses and a boost in the choruses. I found this pedal, tried it out, and after dialing it in to where I wanted it after about 30 minutes of experimenting, I love it.
I have it set to <Distortion into Boost> (a cool feature to where you can opt to put the boost before the distortion or the other way around. I also have a Boss Blues Driver BEFORE this GT-500 in the chain... so I'm using the Boss Blues Driver as my slight crunch... the distortion side of the GT-500 as my full on rock distortion, and the left side of the GT-500 as my either 1) Clean boost 2) Blues Driver Boost 3) distortion boost or finally 4) Blues Driver + Distortion boost for some serious punch.
This pedal is VERY hot when it comes to gain and volume. It'll push your amp (I'm playing on a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe).
I would definitely recommend this pedal for the above applications... I also like the mid control on the distortion side...I boost it a bit and it cuts through the band mix nicely.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best for the price, December 11, 2012
This review is from: Fulltone GT-500 Distortion and Overdrive Booster
If you are planning to spend $300 or more just test this one out at your local music store, give it a try, this thing to me is amazing, 15 years playng and this is for the price the best, you have the quality and feeling of a much expensive one.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice Pedal!, January 1, 2013
This review is from: Fulltone GT-500 Distortion and Overdrive Booster
This is a nice distortion pedal. It isn't as good as the Fulltone OCD unit, but still a very nice distortion. I love Fulltone products, and this one doesn't disappoint. I gave it 4 stars, because I own the OCD, and it's not quite there, but still a good addition to your rig.

Fulltone GT-500 Distortion and Overdrive Booster