Fully Charged? Not sure if this is fully charging my AAA's. I have some Eneloops and some Powerex AAA 1000mAh. When charge these batteries in my Panasonic KX-TG7645M handsets, I get about 17 days standby.
When I charged these in BC-700 using refresh mode, then put them in a handset, battery only show 2 of 3 bars charge. And can be charged further by the handset cradle charger for a few hours. (Takes 7 hours to full charge in handset from dead.)
Not sure how long they would last with this 2 bar charge from the BC-700. Not as long a bar charge from the handset cradle I think. These handsets stay on 3 bar for quite a few days.
The phone does not over charge. It will say fully charged and stop charging.
I just got this charger and this was only a test.
Any thoughts?
asked by doc on April 14, 2013
Sort: Most Helpful first | Newest first | Oldest first
Showing 1-8 of 8 answers
A
votes
doc,
The charger in the Panasonic handset is dumb. It simply assumes that newly replaced batteries must be empty and need to be recharged for 7 hours before use. You should allow it to do that (since you cannot stop it anyway). Then you can leave your handset off the charger, and see how long do those batteries last.
NLee the Engineer answered on April 17, 2013

A
votes
The phone does not charge them again for 7. Only about 2 hours. They had 2 bars of three. It seems as if the phone knows when they are full. Would't that make it a semi-smart charger? Since it stops charging when they are full?
Actually the first time I charged 2 Sanyo's in the 700 using discharge, the phone only showed one bar of three. So I did a discharge/charge. Then it showed 2. Then I charged them in the phone. And it charged them for about 2 hours.
I don't think the phone assumes anything when I change batteries. I can change batteries and it shows full for the phone charged ones, and when I put in the BC700 charged batts, it shows 2 bars. I just did a bunch of swapping.
Now I will leave the BC charged batts in and see how long they last. I know a lot depends on phone usage, but I rarely use the phone. I never put the phone back on the charger until they are dead.
doc answered on April 17, 2013

A
votes
Hmm. I put the Eneloops that were charged in the BC700 in the phone. They showed 2 bars of three. Now 45min later they show one bar.

A
votes
doc,
Since you have a BC-700, it will be real easy for you to verify it for yourself.

1. Take a set of batteries that was fully charged using BC-700, run the Discharge/Refresh operation on it. Record the capacity numbers at the end of the FIRST discharge cycle.

2. Put the same set of batteries into your handset, let it charge for a full 7 hour (or until the handset says full). Remove the batteries and run the same Discharge/Refresh operation. Record the capacity numbers again.

Do the new numbers come out larger? If so, then you can conclude that your BC-700 is not charging you batteries to the fullest. If not, then it is the handset that is confused.
NLee the Engineer answered on April 17, 2013

A
votes
I tried another set of Eneloop AAA that was BC 700 charged last week. Put those in the phone and 1/3 bars. So I just dropped them back in the BC to check. One said full. The other is charging for about an hour so far. When that one is charged, I will try them in the phone.
EDIT: It charged for 1hr 15m. Put them in the phone and shows one bar.
Would that refresh mode give a similiar reading a the charge/test mode? I did a charge/test on 4 AAA Eneloops about a week ago. I don't remember what the numbers were. They were around 750.
Trying the refresh as you suggested. Thx!

A
votes
I missed what it said during the refresh. It said full. I put them in a phone and it showed 1 of 3 bars.
On charge/test the lowest was 796.
What does this BC700 determine that the batts are full? Voltage?
I wonder if I would get similiar results if I exchange this or I got a different model.
I didn't get this device to charge phone batts. Just happens to be my first tests.
doc answered on April 19, 2013

A
votes
doc,
When your BC-700 says 'Full' at the end of a Refresh operation, you can press DISPLAY button to review the battery charging status, namely:
Current (mA) / Voltage (V) / Capacity (mAh) / Time (h)

In particular, pay attention to Voltage and Capacity. A fully charged NiMH should show about 1.40V or higher. The capacity of Sanyo eneloop AAA cell should be around 800mA.

In your case, you said the lowest capacity reading after Charge/Test is 796mAh, which is completely normal. So I believe there's nothing wrong with both your charger and batteries. It must be your handset that is confused.
NLee the Engineer answered on April 19, 2013

A
votes
Got 14 days from the BC charged Eneloops. I think I could have got a few days more if I charged them in the phone after charging the the BC-700.
Getting an itch to try a PowerEx MH-C9000. Seen your review. I really want a backlit display.
doc answered on May 1, 2013
‹ Previous   1   Next ›