1 Review

3.0 out of 5 stars Okay, but not really worth 29$, October 2, 2008
This review is from: Fundamentals of Creative Design (Paperback)
This should be "The fundamentals of basic design" instead. The information is very basic, which you should know if you haven't, but otherwise, well, basic. The book scratches the surfaces of little things here and here, bits about colors, bit about layout, bits about typography, etc.

The book layout also confuses me quite a bit as the sections separations aren't quite clear (would be better if the section's title is also available in stead of just the section number, because in the table of content they don't indicate the number for each section). I also hate the what they call "spot varnish" which seems to be applied quite randomly. Take page 28 & 29 for example, I don't think having a hidden grid on a spread about grids and layouts is a good idea. Which one should I look at? Way too distracting.

And lastly, I find the examples inspirational. Not sure about other people, but for me they are just not "great" enough.

In short, I don't hate this book (still learn from it something I haven't known yet) but I don't think it's worth my money. If I could choose again, I wouldn't have chosen to buy this and must be watchful over Ambrose and Harris books. Why? Because some information tends to be repeated in other books (I've looked through a few of them in my school library, particular the "Basics Design" series, The Production Manual: A Graphic Design Handbook (Advanced Level), The Layout Book (Advanced Level)).

Fundamentals of Creative Design
Fundamentals of Creative Design by Paul Harris (Paperback - November 1, 2003)
Used & New from: $4.09