5.0 out of 5 stars Law Enforcement Bible

3.0 out of 5 stars Might have been the bible once, but is outdated now
Published on September 8, 2011 by Global nomad

5.0 out of 5 stars Law Enforcement Bible, March 15, 2009
This review is from: Fundamentals of Criminal Investigation (Hardcover)
This text is a must for any criminal justice student or law enforcement officer. The book covers all aspects of the art of investigation. Only through real world experience will an investigator become an expert in this field, however this book lays a very solid foundation and contains many sound, tried and proven criminal investigative techniques. I have been a law enforcement agent for twenty years and this is one of the cornerstones in my personal library of law books.
The seventh edition contains approximately 900 pages, but is a very interesting read. I have probably read most of it, including some chapters multiple times. The information inside the chapters is clearly written, easy to understand and no nonsense. This book should be required reading in every police academy in the country.

3.0 out of 5 stars Might have been the bible once, but is outdated now, September 8, 2011
This review is from: Fundamentals of Criminal Investigation (Hardcover)
First, allow me to emphasize the seminal place in law enforcement literature that this book deserves. It truly was a landmark book, and in many respects deserves to be read today. Many aspects of law enforcment, such as investigative strategies and mindsets, remain unchanged. So do basics like search patterns, the role of the investigator's notebook, and interviewing strategies.

However...

The book loses focus once it gives advice on the use of 35mm cameras and typewriters. Here it is hopelessly outdated. While the cop doesn't change, the tools at his/her disposal certainly do. I had hoped that this book would have kept pace, but sadly it did not. I think there are other more current books on basic investigative techniques available that unfortunately put this book back up on the hallowed shelves and out of the everyday toolbox. Sorry.. I had such high hopes for this, but in the end I ended up selling it back.

5.0 out of 5 stars O'Hara's Fundamentals of Criminal Investigation, June 15, 2009
This review is from: Fundamentals of Criminal Investigation (Hardcover)
I recently gave my first copy of this book to a relative who just graduated college with a CJ degree. The first copy of this book assisted me in promoting three times in my law enforcement career. The information contained within the cover of this book is more than just theory. When put to practice the info is right on. The first copy of the book didn't have too much info on electronic/IT type investigations but the new edition has info on this subject.
I would highly recommend this book for a new investigator as well as a seasoned investigator as there is info to help the new and refresh the seasoned. I'm retired now but I still pull it off the shelf for reference.

4.0 out of 5 stars This is the guidline of investigations, January 16, 2007
This review is from: Fundamentals of Criminal Investigation (Hardcover)
Anyone in law enforcement knows this book - and hates the fact they should read it!

This is one of those necessary evils...something you have to read, but wish you didn't. the information is solid, stands the test of time, and it is one ofthe best and most comprehensive investigation books avaiable.

Make sure you get the study guide also!

1.0 out of 5 stars Book is out of date last print was 2003, April 17, 2014
This review is from: Fundamentals of Criminal Investigation (Hardcover)
The book arrived in pristine condition from Goodwill industries. I have returned this book due to the FACT IT IS OUT OF DATE AND THE LAST PUBLICATION WAS IN 2003. IF YOU ARE LOOKING FOR A BOOK THAT IS MORE RECENT i WOULD NOT SUGGEST THIS BOOK.

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding...the best text on the topic, January 18, 2014
Dr.L. (Virginia Beach, VA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Fundamentals of Criminal Investigation (Hardcover)
I teach criminal investigation at a small Liberal Arts college and I am always looking for a good text for my class; I think I found it. The O'Haras have come up with not only a decent textbook, but a wonderful resource guide for criminal investigation. It's a keeper for my students even after the class is over. The book covers all of the essentials without being so academically obscure as so many textbooks tend to be. Rather than being a vehicle to showoff some kind of intellectual arrogance, we have authors who know their stuff and simply and concisely explain the concepts and terminology. It treats me and my students as equals in its content, it doesn't talk down and it's not filled with fluff. In short, this is one outstanding text; worth the price for student, professor and professional in the field. Thanks O'Haras!

5.0 out of 5 stars Criminal Investigation, January 8, 2013
This review is from: Fundamentals of Criminal Investigation (Hardcover)
A "must have" for any Investigator, got this as a gift for someone going into the field, have my copy in my library!

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy to understand, yet comprehensive, January 1, 2001
By A Customer
The Fundamentals of Criminal Investigation by Charles E.O'Hara provides a particuarly informative and comprehensive insight into the specific areas of criminal investigation. The author includes detailed explanations and supports his theories with the use of factual information and case studies. As I am currently studying law, I have been searching for a text which provides me with detailed information and everything I need to know. This book certainly has it all. This is must-have for those studying criminal investigation.

4.0 out of 5 stars Easy reading, November 20, 2007
This review is from: Fundamentals of Criminal Investigation (Hardcover)
Although a long book, it was very easy to read. It was an interesting read also.

3.0 out of 5 stars Book Review, November 17, 2007
This review is from: Fundamentals of Criminal Investigation (Hardcover)
The book was easy reading however, some of the chapters were way too long and dry and could have been shortened. I tend to lose credibility in a book when I see a typo, and there were quite a few throughout the book.

Fundamentals of Criminal Investigation
Fundamentals of Criminal Investigation by Charles E. O'Hara (Hardcover - February 1, 2003)
Used & New from: $26.94