5.0 out of 5 stars This book is freaking awesome
Published on December 23, 2012 by Navandi

2.0 out of 5 stars Good problems, that's about it
It has great problems but that is all it really has going for it. Quite a few equations where variables are not documented. All learning from the book needs to be done through examples as the actual text portion I feel is worthless. If you learn well from just examples then it is a great book. But if you enjoy reading concepts then this book is terrible...
Published on February 22, 2012 by Jack

5.0 out of 5 stars This book is freaking awesome, December 23, 2012
This review is from: Fundamentals of Engineering Thermodynamics, 7th Edition (Hardcover)
My EG thermo professor and I could not communicate very well so I ended up learning from the book, and I can tell you that this book is incredibly well written. I did really well in the course (Many of my peers failed) and I credit my success to the authors. After taking that class and learning this book my problem soling skills have improved by leaps and bounds, I surprise myself sometimes. In summary READ THIS BOOK, even if you have a good professor, it will help you become a better engineer.

2.0 out of 5 stars Good problems, that's about it, February 22, 2012

While I consider myself an environmentally concerned person this book shoves the authors opinions constantly on you. Most writers have trouble keeping their opinions out of texts and it's understandable as we are only human but these authors don't even try.

*When I am paying per page keep your politics out of it.*

Also the book cover is coming off and I purchased this brand new. It was built poorly. Not good engineering :D

I hope professors look elsewhere for a book.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good book, but some issues., August 9, 2013
Keep in mind that this isn't my major but I needed this book for a required course....

This book has a nice layout. Formulas are easy to find in text and examples are given throughout the chapters. It has a lot of tables on the back few pages (you need them for most problems) and they are given in both SI and English units. Each chapter has a lot of problems so you can practice and learn everything.

But not everything is great. some of the problems are so long and complicated that it can be very difficult to solve with the given examples. Other times it just seems like it's a one step problem which can be easily over-thought and made more difficult. Sometimes the problems are solved by a computer system so you have no steps on how to solve. In order to fully and quickly learn from the problems, I suggest you try to work out the problems then either ask your professor/TA for the worked out solutions to check your work. Since most problems are worked out the same, if you know how to do a few you'll be able to complete the rest. This book has some printing issues, the ink they use (or the paper) is very strange. The main issue is that the ink smudges if you rest your arm over the text and the pages are very thin.

Overall I would recommend this book as you do learn quite a bit from it and it will prepare you for future courses. Just be careful not to smudge any of the tables or you'll be screwed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Superior writing and organization, May 31, 2013
This text is extremely well narrated and organized, with the highly structured presentation and layout making this a landmark for technical writers. It's got the best stepwise solution format of examples I've seen in any book. The book serves the fields of thermodynamics and therefore engineering really well. Here you'll find the control volume form of the energy equation quite easy to grasp. (I've got the 4th edition. As an aside Cengel's book, although decent, is mere average compared to Moran and Shapiro.)

4.0 out of 5 stars Some problem answer options....maybe?, June 20, 2014
I have read several comments concerning the absence of problem solutions in reference to this book. It maybe because there are so many options to choose from to solve various problems. I suspect that the cost of extending the book size with answers in the back is not justifiable to keep the price down. A CD would have been nice but they didn't feel this way.

I have a B.S. ME degree and have practice my engineering craft for quite some time. I am preparing for Grad-school and further to a Doctorate. An idea I am working with is an App, PocketCAS-Pro, math solver for iPad. I am reading and learning its capabilities and mu current challenge is to determine how to input complex equation coding into the application. The draw back is that it goes from problem entry to solution...haven't found a means to display full solutions yet. I believe the App Script function may hold the key to my extended problem solving dilemma.

In conclusion, I recommend using a math solver for problems in the book that will calculate and plot.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Book to Learn Fundamentals From, June 25, 2013
We had to purchase this book for a Thermodynamics 1 course I took. We only used the first 6 chapters in class, but I grew curious and started to read the other chapters.

I will start by giving you the pros and cons of this book:

PROS:
* Clear layout
* Tables in the rear of the book are organized and have a clean layout & use different colors to differentiate units (SI first then English units)
* Mini examples during the reading to help you understand concepts
* Section problems to use newly acquired skills
* At the end of each chapter, there is a section that gives you the most important equations in that chapter
* Front of the textbook has conversions by subtype (Force, Pressure, Energy, etc...) and in both units
* The book offers problems in both SI and English Units
* Aesthetically pleasing
* It offers Thermodynamics as a science for different types of engineers (Biomed, Environ, etc...) thus aiding them see what it could be useful for & giving us traditional engineering majors a look at how to apply Thermodynamics outside of our realm of expertise

CONS:
* The chapters can get long. Like 40-50+ pages long in some cases
* Computer methods sometimes occur in the book between concepts. I think it should be reserved at the end of the chapter; not everyone uses those methods
* No solutions at the end of the book or in the index
* No companion solutions manual
* I found that while the textbook reads well, it can sometimes gloss over important concepts so I used the Thermodynamics for Dummies book as a reference
* Physically large and heavy (more akin to a tome than a standard textbook)
* The person who mentioned it isn't build durably is correct: Mine is starting to show moderate damage in the back cover near the spine.

A traditional Thermodynamics class stops short of Exergy (Chapter 7).
Chapter 1 is basically a review in Physics/Chemistry: conversions, units, etc...
Chapter 2 offers insight into thermometers (types and uses) as well as barometers and their governing equations
Chapter 3 begins the 1st Law of Thermodynamics
Chapter 4 Begins to talk about non-steady state as well as nozzles, turbines, etc...
Chapter 5 starts entropy
Chapter 6 Irreversibilities generated internally in a system (i.e. more entropy)
Chapter 7 (Not used in my class, but read it anyways) Exergy (it goes into using it for economic purposes)

Overall, I would say this book is nice. It gives plenty of reason to use it and I will use it long into my career as a reference book. However, it is pretty obvious that it could benefit from a solutions manual or some answers in a special index. In addition, a companion manual would aid the reader and finally, the Dummies book also shows you how it could have been better streamlined.

I understand Thermodynamics is a complicated course, but this book's verbosity can really bog down someone trying to read it and short of drilling through problems, there isn't a way to understand the concepts in-depth and as I said, sadly it has no solutions manual.

Thank you for reading and good luck! :)

5.0 out of 5 stars ..., January 4, 2013
A great book. It has many example problems that help understand the topics covered. Therefore it is easy to follow. And the practice problems are relevant

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent fundamental starting point, November 2, 2011
This book is concisely written, the examples are clearly laid out, and there are minimal tangential points. Really a helpful starting point for any mechanical engineer.

3.0 out of 5 stars the bad part is that some of the answer in the ..., February 1, 2015
it was an ok book. the only down side to this book is that it does not have the answer at the back of the book. this means that you need to go online for the companion site to see if your answers are correct. the bad part is that some of the answer in the companion site are not always correct.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Book, January 28, 2014
My school uses it for both Thermo I and II. For the price you cant beat that.
Would recommend for sure.

Fundamentals of Engineering Thermodynamics, 7th Edition
Fundamentals of Engineering Thermodynamics, 7th Edition by Margaret B. Bailey (Hardcover - December 7, 2010)
$219.35