"An astonishing wealth of information is collected together in both parts of the book - a remarkable achievement for only two authors!" (Angewandte Chemie International Edition
, February 2008)
"Comprehensive, clear, well-written and well-illustrated are a few of the terms that I must use to describe this monumental work. In addition, copious use of appropriately sized diagrams and tables are used as well as plethora of references." (Journal of Hazardous Materials, April 2008)
"..it is extremely informative about heterogeneous catalysis..." (Angewandte Chemie International Edition, January 2008)
"This is a fine introduction to, and reference for, industrial catalysis." (The Catalyst, September 2007)
From the Back Cover
THE DEFINITIVE ACCOUNT OF INDUSTRIAL CATALYTIC PROCESSES
Fundamentals of Industrial Catalytic Processes, Second Edition is a comprehensive combination handbook and textbook that presents the definitive, up-to-date account of important catalyst, reactor, and process technologies for important catalytic processes practiced in a wide range of industries, including the chemical, petroleum, electric utility, food, transportation, and emission-control industries. Integrating science fundamentals necessary to the design and practice of these processes, the book addresses important basic principles of heterogeneous, homogenous, enzymatic, and polymer catalysis.
This book consists of two sections treating fundamentals and practice. The first section addresses basic principles underlying the science of catalytic reactions; catalyst materials, properties, preparation, and characterization; reaction engineering; and catalyst deactivation. The second section provides substantial data on process chemistries, reaction kinetics and mechanisms, catalyst chemistry/design, reactor/process design, and catalyst deactivation for important catalytic processes practiced commercially.
Other features include:
- Over 150 tables and 350 figures (including a color inset) providing detailed activity/rate data; descriptions of catalysts, materials, reactors, and experimental/instrumental methods; reaction networks and mechanistic sequences; comparisons of catalyst and process technologies; summaries of catalyst and chemical production; reactor schematics and process flow diagrams; and photos of process catalysts, equipment, and plants
- Stoichiometric equations, enthalpies, rate and equilibrium constants, and operating conditions for important catalytic reactions, as well as important equations for catalyst and reactor design
- End-of-chapter exercises, including thought-provoking questions and practical design problems; example calculations in most chapters
- Case studies with detailed descriptions of reaction chemistry and of catalyst, reactor, and process technologies for more than thirty of the most important commercial processes
- Descriptions of the chemistry, composition, and structure of commercial catalysts and enzymes; lists of catalyst suppliers and a chapter on catalysts used in fuel cells
- Authors' perspectives and projections (based on more than sixty-five years of combined experience) regarding anticipated future developments of catalyst, reactor, and process technologies
- A glossary of terms and a table of nomenclature to facilitate reader comprehension
Containing accessible, everyday-useful information on the fundamentals and practice of catalysis, Fundamentals of Industrial Catalytic Processes, Second Edition is an essential resource for students, faculty, researchers, scientists, engineers, and managers working with catalysts or catalytic processes.