Published on December 18, 2011 by P. K. Bowen

3.0 out of 5 stars ... wish there was more electrical information ...
...wish there was more electrical information, as an EE I wanted more
Published 23 days ago by CHRISTIAN M GARRETT

4.0 out of 5 stars Used the 3rd edition for three years (since release), and generally like it, December 18, 2011
P. K. Bowen (Whitehall, MI USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Fundamentals of Materials Science and Engineering: An Integrated Approach (Hardcover)
When I began my undergraduate studies in Materials Science and Engineering, this was the book that was required. It's since been a great companion through (almost) all of my undergraduate courses, and is an extremely handy reference as a graduate student. I also had the pleasure of TAing for a section of our Intro. to Materials course this term, and I have some observations about this text. I hope that the publishers and authors work on some of the issues below in the fifth edition (since the fourth doesn't seem to have changed much/any from what I have seen so far).

PROS
1. Great text and figures: the text is highly readable and does a good job of placing nuances of certain equations and figures in plain sight (e.g. the conditional definition of "a" is clearly visible near the fracture toughness equation, etc.).
2. Great introductory/refresher level in ALL areas: the authors avoid giving "special treatment" to their pet subjects like many authors do in other undergraduate texts.
3. Good binding, construction, and paper. (Although this particular "pro" might be a "con" to some, see point #5.)

CONS
4. Problems can use a little bit of actual thought before the fifth edition instead of simply rearranging them (again): one of the largest problems with this text is the overuse of tiny figures in the homework. This makes life miserable as a student (trust me, I remember this clearly), and, amazingly, even MORE hellish as a TA and grader. Do the publishers honestly think that students will turn in scanned/printed figures with homework? Of course not! In the 21st century, I would think that there would be a clever way to make access to figures easier, like including them on the (otherwise pretty useless) CD. This pretty much my only problem with this text.

OTHER THOUGHTS
5. The cost for a new edition of this is well worth it for an undergraduate materials science student or graduate student preparing for a qualifier. HOWEVER, this is NOT the target audience in real life. Instead, this text is bought and sold quite frequently by mechanical engineers and biomedical engineers who have no interest in hanging onto a book that is worth a month's rent. Could the publishers consider a paperback (or other lower-cost) edition for those folks who don't actually care to hang onto this text?

5.0 out of 5 stars my teacher sucked, December 18, 2013
this textbook saved my life for my materials science class. If you have a bad teacher who doesn't even go through example problems and just reads off years old slides that are somewhat relevant to the topic, this textbook will cover everything you need to know

5.0 out of 5 stars good deal, December 23, 2013
Bought for my sophomore son as the bookstore run by B&N is a pure profit machine. This used textbook was about $80 below their used text.

4.0 out of 5 stars It is what it is and it does what it is supposed to do, November 23, 2013
I don't have much to compare it to as a materials book. However, it seems to explain concepts fundamental to materials science in an understandable format.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lehigh mat 33 book, October 5, 2013
Item was new, hard cover as described, shipped quickly when I needed it for class. Happy I got a better deal on it too than the bookstore.

4.0 out of 5 stars This is one of the better text books I've had, October 8, 2014
This is one of the better text books I've had. It's easy to follow and helped a lot with the course considering my professor didn't know how to answer questions.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, September 4, 2014
It's the book I was looking for at a good price. Condition was as advertised.

3.0 out of 5 stars ... wish there was more electrical information ..., January 6, 2015
...wish there was more electrical information, as an EE I wanted more

3.0 out of 5 stars Good book, but no online code, September 17, 2012
I bought the text because it was required for my class. If you need the online code, buy it elsewhere, aka a college bookstore. I didn't need one, so I was able to save some money. Saved 80 bucks. Not bad.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, September 28, 2014
Freaken awesome just in time arrived during my class

Fundamentals of Materials Science and Engineering: An Integrated Approach
Fundamentals of Materials Science and Engineering: An Integrated Approach by William D. Callister (Hardcover - May 22, 2012)
$185.80