Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PME Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

on March 3, 2003
Well, I guess I can try to review this book from the only perspective I read it from: that of a student. I had to read it for my CFP class on Insurance, and, as an introduction to most forms of insurance, it explains the forms in a very methodical and systematic way; it was very easy to follow and tough to get completely lost.
Honestly, I was never really fascinated with insurance. My life-licensing class was 24 hours of classroom time spread out over one weekend, so maybe that has created some insurance-related intellectual scars. The sections on Life Insurance and the basic components of any insurance contract and the whole insurance process were already familiar to me, so I found those sections incredibly uninteresting. The other forms of insurance were much more interesting and gave me a great foundation for other insurance studies I've done since.
The prose of the book, too, flows extremely well. In fact, I usually just lightly read passages explaining computations and formulas because I come back later to review them in-depth; however, while reading this book, I actually felt I fully understood most of the computations even while I read (which almost never happens because most formula-explaining reads much like Kant's "Metaphysics of Morals").
Just one closing point... I guess you'd have to be either Insurance Commissioner or a professor of insurance to be really interested in this material, but the authors write in a way that allows even the average CFP or insurance student to come away from the book with a good sense of how insurance works and where it fits into an individual's financial plan.
on January 14, 2016
This reference is a great source for personally understanding insurance. The original purpose for this book was to understand negligence in potential tort situations. Now, I'm reviewing my home, auto and other relevant insurance policies as well as understanding liabilities surrounding me.
on January 17, 2007
I thought it would be a sleeper,but quite the contrary..I wish I would have read this book 20 years ago.
on November 15, 2007
My insurance class was unanimous in their disappointment with this textbook. Why?

1) VERBOSE - Takes twice as long to explain a concept as the concise authors in the Kaplan or Bisys book series. Also recommended is Principles of Risk Mgt. and Insurance by George Rejda ([...] I found out about these alternates mid-semester after it was too late to switch - don't get stuck like I did.
2) NO ONLINE QUIZZES OR POWERPOINT SUMMARY SLIDES - Kaplan, Bisys and George Rejda offer these helpful study aids.
3) POOR FORMATTING - definitions are not bolded, italicized or presented as bullet points; sample problems are incorporated within long paragraphs, rather than separated out; margins are razor thin on the top and sides, allowing no room for notes.
4) BIASED - The authors generously sprinkle the text with their obvious bias favoring the insurance industry, especially regarding health care coverage. New approaches to health care and access are characterized as "attacks" (p.369 & 382) and "crusades" (p.382); "Patients rarely object to more testing because it might do them some good, even if it is not cost effective for society as a whole." (p.367); and "the debate over availability and affordability is a thinly veiled demand for cross-subsidies in the insurance market." (p.114). That's just the tip of the iceberg.

If it was possible to give this book zero stars, I would. Whatever you do, don't buy the book new - it's so poorly written that my entire class is offloading theirs at the end of the fall 2007 semester, so it will be on Amazon soon.
on January 8, 2015
The book is boring...very very boring. Seller is great. Very good price.
on January 23, 2016
fine book
on January 15, 2014
I still have thie book. I made this purchase over 5 years ago and I find myself going through the pages for insighful information. A book to have among your shelve.
on August 28, 2013
The book looks like brand new on the inside. I need it for a class, so I'm not that excited about the contents. But I paid a fraction of the price for a new book, and don't have to put up with some else's highlighting, etc.
on May 16, 2011
The purchase, delivery, value and cost from Amazon was exceptional as always. The book itself leaves much to be desired, there are few examples to apply to what is needed in 2011. There are a few but they are in the footnotes! Authors have tons of good information but it gets lost in the magnitude of boring text.
on September 22, 2013
Very little light markings on the book (slightly annoying but it was as advertized). Arrived promptly (earlier than anticipated). Pleasure doing bidness.