5.0 out of 5 stars I want to watch this performed!, November 23, 2011
This review is from: Funeral Potatoes (Kindle Edition)
Ever been on a bus or a restaurant or subway and overheard a conversation that was so instantly engaging that you simply couldn't be torn away from it? "Funeral Potatoes" was that conversation for me.

This play captured my imagination from the title and never let me go. Ms Callaghan's mastery of emotive context and dialogue is so effective and brilliant that I don't even want to use the word "realistic" here. The fact is that you can so easily imagine the two main characters - if any of us are fortunate to either be or know people as wonderful as they are - having this exact series of conversations.

One day, we may all find ourselves in a similar situation as the main character, and, gods willing, we will be able to face it with the temerity and humor as these characters.

A lovely play, and if you ever perform it, please let me know, because I'll happily be in the audience if I can at all make it.

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent!, December 17, 2011
Karin Meier (Bellevue, WA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Funeral Potatoes (Kindle Edition)
This very clean and spare dialog drilled straight to my heart. I felt rather than read each scene, with such a presence of the theater that I was a bit surprised to find myself at home when the play ended. Looking forward to more from this writer.

5.0 out of 5 stars You'll be back for several helpings of Potatoes, November 29, 2011
This review is from: Funeral Potatoes (Kindle Edition)
This short play by Kiri Callaghan is breathtaking. The story of two best friends - Kismet and Vera - dealing with the unthinkable is an emotional ride: Kismet is only 22, and she has only a month left to live. The subject matter is dark, but it's handled with beauty and precision.

Funeral Potatoes is quiet and understated, but more than anything it has heart to spare. It feels like the result of deep personal experience and self-exploration by Callaghan, and that kind of storytelling is always the most compelling for me.

This is an easy 5-star rating; the smooth-flowing dialog provided several laughs, and a few times, caused the onset of tears. This is a quick 20-30 minute read that's a steal at a mere 99 cents. You'll be back for seconds and thirds, I guarantee it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great, but too brief, July 23, 2013
This review is from: Funeral Potatoes (Kindle Edition)
This play had excellent, organic dialogue and the symbol of funeral potatoes was well-done. I liked the inclusion of the recipe at the end. I feel like the treatment was a bit rushed, though it was probably written to fit a time slot. I'd like to see and expanded version of this play.

5.0 out of 5 stars Extremely well written, December 26, 2012
This review is from: Funeral Potatoes (Kindle Edition)
Many short stories of loss are heavy handed and melodramatic, trying to force maximum feeling in minimum words. Funeral Potatoes captures the bond between two friends and the deep sense of loss while remaining authentic and realistic. I didn't roll my eyes at an overabundance of schmaltz, I cried in sympathy and pain for the main characters.

4.0 out of 5 stars What a sad story., May 20, 2012
Wanda "Wandah Panda" (Pretoria, South Africa) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Funeral Potatoes (Kindle Edition)
This is an extremely short read. It is all about death and how and what you make of it at the age of 22. The simplicity had me gripped and the humour had me smiling. This is my first ever review of a play, and I must say, the stage directions really does add something to the play. I enjoyed the experience more than I did the book itself. It is not bad, quite the contrary, it is simply a bit dark for my taste. I give this play a 4 * review. One star is for the unique experience and the awesome author introduction and bio.

5.0 out of 5 stars A powerful depiction of true friendship, May 19, 2012
This review is from: Funeral Potatoes (Kindle Edition)
When I think of true friendship in life, I think of that bond that can exist between you and your closest friends - the "You'd do anything for them, be there by their side, through laughter and tears" type of love two people with an undeniably deep connection share.

Funeral Potatoes captures that bond, and that love, perfectly. While set against a brooding topic such as anticipation of death and what it means, Kiri Callaghan's writing made me burst out with laughter, well up with tears, and ache in my heart. It hit so close to home that I could instantly relate from the first few lines - the sign of well written and thoughtful prose. By the end of the play, I was sad, but fulfilled. I knew the story truly had a happy ending - one I hope we all can share when that day comes.

If you'd like a light read, but one that will make you laugh while tugging at your heart strings, Funeral Potatoes should be on your list.

Also - Don't forget to try out the recipes in the back too - actual funeral potatoes *are* that delicious! Who knew? :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent play, May 5, 2012
This review is from: Funeral Potatoes (Kindle Edition)
I saw this play performed last night and it was fantastic so I bought a copy for Kindle on the way home.

Short, smart witty dialog offering glimpses into the life of two ladies

Funeral Potatoes