4.0 out of 5 stars A must have for Ol skool gangsta funk/rap lovers!
Published on June 7, 2003 by ez cash

2.0 out of 5 stars WTF?? (Rating: 5 out of 10- -2.5 stars)
Published on September 21, 2008 by Chandler

4.0 out of 5 stars A must have for Ol skool gangsta funk/rap lovers!, June 7, 2003
ez cash (Scottsdale, AZ United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Funk Upon a Rhyme (Audio CD)
When I first heard this in 94', it blew my mind. The only reason it got 4 stars is because of his "crying voice" on #5. Totally different: from the inside tape cover, to the pimpish Parliament Funkadelic theme that he portray's on it; it's great! With a lot of samples from George Clinton and the production of Ruthless Records with an appearance by Above The Law(best of all time!) on #9 Aftermath, this album got the FUNKIEST GANGSTA BEATS OF ALL TIME! On a few songs, he also brings out emotions in you of death and dispair. (It's a good thing!) And the song that gets across the hardest point as well as the funniest is #14 where Kokane and COOOOOOLD 187um straight clown on Dre and Snoop!
A hard to find, but MUST HAVE for anybody who listens to any kind of funk or gangsta rap.

5.0 out of 5 stars FUNK UPON A RHYME, February 19, 2005
D-locc$ta (925CCC,KILLA CALI) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Funk Upon a Rhyme (Audio CD)
WHEN IT COMEZ TA OLD SCHOOL FUNK...KOKANE PAVED THA MUTHAF*CKIN WAY,NO DOUBT-THIS ALBUM IS A FONK MILESTONE U GOTTA BLAZE THA GANJ 2...CLASICC FIVE STAR OG LA SOUND-IF U HAVE THIS ALBUM U MUST HAVE "UNCLE SAM'S CURSE" BY ABOVE THE LAW-WARNING-LISTENING MAY BECOME ADDICTING

5.0 out of 5 stars An absolute must for the discerning west coast rap lover, May 25, 2005
This review is from: Funk Upon a Rhyme (Audio CD)
When I first purchased this album I was 13 or 14, and listening to this when I am 24 years old it is still fantastic. My acquiessence to tag this album the Best Album ever (for the west coast) is done with little hesitation. Perhaps MC Eiht's We Come Strapped comes a close second. In this album we see the artist weave a tapestry of intricate tight sound and odd yet melodic vocals. The lyrics are solid, and outside the fact that kokane is consumed by the anger towards Dre, still enjoy this album. THis album is g-funk, but with a George Clintonesque p-funk twist. Over all I still listen to this album frequently, and is a stunning coup de'teatre that is second to none in terms of west coast rap. The first 5 or 6 songs serve as an apparatus to get you to "My Day is Coming" and after that every song is absolutely excellent or perfect. The second half of this album interweaves the eloquence of philosophy (lyrics and socio-economic circumstance) and the precision of mathematics (intricate sound and beats). This is an album that bespeaks greatness in what I call the renaissance (and best era east and west coast) of rap.

2.0 out of 5 stars WTF?? (Rating: 5 out of 10- -2.5 stars), September 21, 2008
Chandler "Infamous" (Atlanta (College Park), Georgia) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Funk Upon a Rhyme (Audio CD)
That is exactly what came to mind when I first heard Kokane's Funk Upon A Rhyme. The album itself is very weird and unusual in sort of a way, that it is hard to explain what it sounds like. Kokane has always been a good rapper, as he has made great appearances on Above The Law's Uncle Sam's Curse & Black Mafia Life, two wonderful albums. Here his voice is so screechy and whiny that his vocals are damn near indecipherable. I literally cannot tell what he is saying on many of the songs (and whats with all the shouting?). Songs like "Ridin' On The Funk" and "I Need Representation" validates my statement. The production here doesn't make it any better. I love me some G-Funk beats, but I don't know what the hell is this? It seems like the producers (Cold 187um and Kokane) heavily used the synthesizer to much that the beats sound completely overproduced. Almost every song here suffers from that problem. "Funkinmuffin" further proves to me that west coast and reggae do not mix.

Despite all the wildness on this album, there has to be some goodness here (if that wasn't the case, it would be a lower score). I have to admit the bouncy "From The Funk To The Back" featuring Dirty Red is a standout. "Slow Burinin' 22.5 Degrees Fahrenheit" is one of the few songs that he has made when he is normal. And the guest appearances are good as well. Tha Alkaholiks' members E-Swift and J-Ro appear on "I Need Representation". "Aftermath" is another standout, thanks to Above The Law. At the end of the album, Cold 187um and Kokane disses members of Death Row Records. Ah, good ol' label politics, because Cold 187um disses Dr. Dre (more than likely because of the feud with Eazy-E), and I'm not sure if he's dissing Snoop Dogg though (he says a lot of things about Snoop, but says "peace" to him at the end of his long verse). Kokane disses Snoop and Kurupt as well (funny thing is he ends up working with them four years later).

This album is great for people who are looking to experience something different. I think this is far off the map for me, no matter how many people say about it's creativity. There are a few good normal/decent tracks, but it's followed by two weird ones afterward. Fourteen tracks of it, and it gets kind of...well you know...I just couldn't handle all of it. With it being out of print, I'd say not to make this a priority purchase. I guess there is a reason why Jerry Long calls himself Kokane. He had to be high off of it to record something like this. Screw an addiction, this may cause a headache. Peace.

Lyrics: B-
Production: C-
Guest Appearances: B
Musical Vibes: F

Top 5 Tracks:
1. From The Funk To The Back (featuring Dirty Redd)
2. Aftermath (featuring Above The Law)
3. Don't Bite The Phunk (featuring Cold 187um)
4. Slow Burnin' 22.5 Degrees Fahrenheit
5. All Bark No Bite (featuring E-Swift and J-Ro)

5.0 out of 5 stars Rap at It's best..., January 16, 2009
D. Blair (Chigasaki, Kanagawa Japan) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Funk Upon a Rhyme (Audio CD)
I just have to say that I completely disagree with the other review. I know what he's trying to say but I just have to say that this is absolutely a 5 star album. To label it weird is perhaps correct in some respects but I don't think it's in a bad way at all. The beats are not only unique but great. There is something very special about this album for me. There is no repetition and the concept is perfect. Funk. Pure, unadulterated, mindless funk. It is a classic that will live on until the day I die. Anyone that wants to experience the best that rap can truly offer should pick up this album. Anyone that is looking for something out of the norm with fluid rhymes and off the hook production, look no further, Funk Upon A Rhyme is here!

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't Bite The Phunk!, December 25, 2005
This review is from: Funk Upon a Rhyme (Audio CD)
My reasons to tag this album the Best Kokane album is done with little hesitation. Perhaps MC Eiht's We Come Strapped comes a close to Funk Upon A Rhyme . In this album we see the artist weave a tapestry of intricate tight sound and odd yet melodic vocals. The lyrics are solid, and outside the fact that kokane is consumed by the anger towards Dre, still enjoy this album. This album is G-funk, but with a George Clintonesque P-funk twist. Over all I still listen to this album frequently, and is a stunning coup de'teatre that is second to none in terms of west coast rap. The first 5 or 6 songs serve as an apparatus to get you to "My Day is Coming" and after that every song is absolutely excellent or perfect. The second half of this album interweaves the eloquence of philosophy (lyrics and socio-economic circumstance) and the precision of mathematics (intricate sound and beats). This is an album that bespeaks greatness in what I call the renaissance of rap. On the Death Row diss track "Don't Bite the Phunk", locc'd out Pimp'sta Kokane & the 187-Master Cold 187um have to take on punks Dr. Dre, Snoop Doggy Dogg & Kurupt, which Mr.Kane & Big Hutch go Insane in the Brain! Death Row acts that it was the only gangsta rap label, but hey, yo Dre! Stick to producing because, Mr.Kane likes his Chronic mixed with some PCP! Snoop Doggy Doggy Dogg has been getting it up his a$$ by his CEO Suge Knight, which Big Dogg Blue has no clue what Mr.Kane & Big Hutch gonna do! Kurupt the Dogg Pound Crip, can't take the likes of G's from Compton, Long Beach, South Central, Watts, Carson and even Pomona, CA! So wut would that wannabe locc do if Mr.Kane is gonna do, so call Big Hutch "Kurupt"! Funk Upon A Rhyme is a G-funk classic which features artists Tha Alkaholics, Dirty Red, KMG & Cold 187um, the production is done by DJ Yella.

Mr.Kane's Funkiest are songs *2(featuring Dirty Red), 3, 4, *5, 6, 7, 8(featuring Tha Alkaholics), 9, *10(featuring Above The Law), 11, 12, 14 & *15(featuring Cold 187um).

5.0 out of 5 stars 22.5 Degrees, January 24, 2005
This review is from: Funk Upon a Rhyme (Audio CD)
This album is just a straight classic! I got this because I had heard the song "Nasty" by Kokane (where I found out that he is the best BOTH at rapping AND singing hooks), so I purchased the record. The record is great, both funny, fly and deep as hell with tracks that really makes you think. It is rare and expensive, actuelly the most expensive album I've got, but it was worth every penny, get it ya'll!

Be on the lookout for Kokane's new record "Take It Back To Da Clap", coming out around March...produced by Fingazz you know...

5.0 out of 5 stars "Well Allriiight", June 30, 2005
Drunkenstein (Detroit, MI (Murda Mitt)) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Funk Upon a Rhyme (Audio CD)
I was 17 when i got this album and and to this day it still give me goosebumps. Just "RAW". only one sample mixed in all that funk (bet u cant find it)so that made it great to listen to while skudded. If i was to sell my copy, I'd sell it for bout $150.00 i think im one of the only cats in Detroit who still the original. I might buy a second one just in case somebody get hip to it and get me for it.....LOL

4.0 out of 5 stars DOPE, July 25, 2012
This review is from: Funk Upon a Rhyme (Audio CD)
Man it's 2012 and I slept on this. I never would have thought this dude could hold his own on a whole album. I was wrong. Remember watching slow burnin (the video) but I never copped this album. So this definately bumps in the whip and for anybody that thinks they might like it. You probably will. It's dope.

5.0 out of 5 stars Funk em..... Funk em...well all riiiggghhtt, October 6, 2008
A Brooks (Sheboygan, WI United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Funk Upon a Rhyme (Audio CD)
One of the most creative, inovative, rap albums that ever came out in the 9tees. A must own for the rap fanatic. Every track a classic.

Funk Upon a Rhyme
Funk Upon a Rhyme by Kokane (Audio CD - 1994)
Rate and Discover Movies