5.0 out of 5 stars Awsome Movie about a Legendary Drag Racer
Published on May 3, 2001 by Bruce Cissell

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting..........
I saw this movie in 1974 or '75 at a theater on a Friday night. I was about 5 or 6 years old and never forgot it. Glad I found it.
Published on April 27, 2002

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Awsome Movie about a Legendary Drag Racer, May 3, 2001
Bruce Cissell (Orlando, Florida) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Funny Car Summer [VHS] (VHS Tape)
I first saw this movie/documentary about "THE FIREMAN" Jim Dunn at a Drive-in Movie in the early 80's. This movie follows this Legendary Drag Racer around the country during 1970 when he domenated the Funnycar class with his innovative rear engine direct drive 1970 Plymouth Barracuda. This type of setup was several decades ahead of it's time and now the main stay of all Top Fuel Dragster's today. This film also contains footage of then very young Mike Dunn drag racing his bicycle in parking lots and he even dropped a cute as he eliminated the competition. Mike Dunn drives a Top Fuel Dragster today and his dad Jim Dunn is still an Owner/Crew Chief of a Top Fuel Funnycar Team. Jim Dunn is probably one of the most over looked Legends in Drag Racing today. If you want a film that documents this Legendary Drag Racer in his hay day then you'll want this movie.

4.0 out of 5 stars Awesome Christmas Gift from Mom, December 30, 2002
This review is from: Funny Car Summer (DVD)
Just like the previous person. I also saw this at a small theatre in Illinois when just 5 or 6. I grew up at a local dragstrip (BYRON.) And witnessed "Snakes" and "Mongoose's" cars.
Plus all the others in the video. I mentioned the film to my father in late August and asked if he remembered taking me and my brother to see it. He sure did. He loved taking me and my brother to the races. My father and I still attend the races together. I love it. My mother found this film on your site(AMAZON.co) and had to buy it for me for Christmas. Was I surprised. I have watched it three times already. Awesome! I wish I was a little older in those days. All I remember is the awesome paint jobs on cars like the Hawaiian and Showtime. Also the Army Tank Wheelstander. Thank-you in helping me relive my childhood.

4.0 out of 5 stars A good time piece on early 1970s Funny Car drag racing, June 3, 1999
This review is from: Funny Car Summer [VHS] (VHS Tape)
I first saw this movie as an 8-9 year old and it was important for me to find it. It is truly a classic for anyone who watched drag racing in the early 70s, especially Funny Cars. The quality is OK and there is some really bad 70s music scenes (Jim Dunn shaving?) but that is what fast-forward is for. It's definitely a time piece especially when they talk about the costs of drag racing. It makes you yearn for those days except for all the 70s stuff (hair, side burns, clothes, etc.). The action is what makes this movie and should bring back many great memories for all of us who went to OCIR.

4.0 out of 5 stars Solid introduction to funny cars, September 22, 2000
Ashland S. Henderson (Concord, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Funny Car Summer (DVD)
My wife and I saw this on television when it first came out and were delighted with it. More a documentary than a drama, it is an excellent introduction to racing in general and funny cars in particular. Well worth it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Funny Car Summer: a must have for any drag racing fan, June 4, 1999
This review is from: Funny Car Summer [VHS] (VHS Tape)
Possibly the best drag racing documentary of all time

4.0 out of 5 stars Funny car legond, March 8, 2007
L. Squires (puyallup, WA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Funny Car Summer (DVD)
Jim Dunn is one of the legonds of drag racing. This film offers an amazing glimpse into 'how it was' before all the huge sponsorships, hospitality tents, multi-car crews, etc. The day when a group of guys can get together and build a car more out of love, dedication, and hard work than money - long gone!

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting.........., April 27, 2002

5.0 out of 5 stars Funny Car Summer / Wish I'd Been There, March 16, 2004
This review is from: Funny Car Summer (DVD)
I remember when this flick came out at the DRIVE IN!! If your a drag racing fan you'll like this DVD. If you are a true funny car fan you'll watch it again and again. Not a super slick promotion but a real look at what it was like before big corporate sponsorship deals and million dollar truck and trailers. Check it out I think you'll like it.

3.0 out of 5 stars Bought as a gift, May 31, 2013
This review is from: Funny Car Summer (DVD)
I bought this several years ago as a gift for my Son. He enjoyed it. I never watched it myself but I am glad I bought it as he was into Funny Cars at the time, and he was pleased with the gift.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Ole Times..., January 2, 2005
This review is from: Funny Car Summer (DVD)
I, like the rest here, have seen this movie back in the early '70s. Ever since, I have loved all types of cars. Funny Cars are the best. Some other places to visit funny cars online [...]. If you enjoy old times, get this movie.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Funny Car Summer
Funny Car Summer by Ron Phillips (DVD - 2000)
$9.99 $9.98