Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

on April 26, 2013
I Funny is another golden middle school story by James Patterson. WARNING: SPOILERS! I Funny is the story of a boy whose family died in a car crash and was the only survivor. The boy grows up to become a kid comedian and enters "Planet's Funniest Kid Contest" and more while testing his jokes on his foster family the "Smileys" (who never ever smile). With the help of friends and family, the boy accomplishes much. That boy is Jamie Grimm.

I am a 5th grader at Vista Verde School and I found I Funny to be a great book. Through the eyes of Jamie Grimm, I could relate his life adventures to mine and other kids across the world. Kids, more so kids in wheelchairs, hate being treated like a baby. My parents, some of my teachers, and even restaurant waiters treat me like I can't do anything and they have to do everything for me. Jamie Grimm felt the same way when people went easy on him just because he was in a wheelchair. Jamie Grimm got stage fright his first time performing on "Planets Funniest Kid Contest". Many kids have stage fright at concerts and talent shows, even me! I'll admit some of the jokes are a bit bland and it is hard to imagine a kid going to Long island all by himself just for a competition. But besides that, I Funny is a great book that many kids can relate to in their life. I recommend this book for 4-6th graders because of the anti-bullying and other concepts. In I Funny, Jamie Grimm outwits and deals with bullies, and earns respect from people all around the world. I Funny is a great book for kids while parents might not find it as amusing. All in all, I love this book by James Patterson and I urge you to read it too.
James Patterson does it again as a Master storyteller as he did in his other Middle School stories, making this one as good as 'The Worst Years Of My Life.' I find this story to be a golden winner of the series, simply because I was able to relate to events that took place, while having flashbacks of coping mechanisms and survival techniques. Of course most of us could relate to the funny, and not so funny activities that took place in middle school, and we never forget after the years have passed. But, I also related to the situations and feelings that Jamie Grimm experienced, because I've seen a great deal, and also have a special needs child. The authors clearly brought us all back to the immature groups, the bullies, and special people that reserve a place in your heart for a long time. Jamie had dreams like many, and he followed them, deserving respect and recognition of being a hero in many ways. He builds a brick wall to keep out the evil that spreads like wildfire from the bullies as he sets out on a mission to fulfill his dream. This intriguing story tugs at the heart as we learn that Jamie has a haunting past that he must deal with in order to move on. He is the average kid, who becomes unforgettable as he learns that there's a place for everyone in this world. This amazing story is a trip down memory lane for some, and a lesson learned for the new kid on the block as we take a good look at bullies, geeks, and the dreamers. Middle school kids will love this book. Brilliant, thought-provoking, funny, and touching. To sum it up, superb in every way!An enjoyable and educational read, with dynamic artwork. Highly recommended!
on June 15, 2015
This book has some good points - the main character Jamie is likeable. He is starting to work on being a comedian. A lot of readers are disappointed with the quality of the jokes, but that's realistic for a kid just starting out - a lot of the jokes will be taken from joke books or other acts. He is continuing to develop his skills in the second books (I haven't read the third yet.)

I had a hard time forgetting how tragic Jamie's backstory was, which kept me from enjoying the lighter moments.

My big problem with the book, and with all the other middle school oriented books my 9 yo daughter and I are reading, is that bullies run amok. No one ever hauls these kids in for discipline, suspension, or other punishments. The bully in this book (Jamie's cousin Stevie) is the worst I have seen yet on several levels. First, Jamie is living with him, so he is tortured at home and school. Secondly, Jamie is physically unable to counter the bully. But most importantly, the bully commits fairly serious acts of battery against Jamie and then threatens to kill him if he tells.

This is absolutely unacceptable, authors! Even the adults miss some pretty obvious clues Jamie needs more protection. Jamie's uncle finds him laying on the beach, with his wheelchair gone, with no sand tracks around him, so it's obvious he was thrown there. Jamie is afraid to say what happened, and nobody pursues this.

What kind of message does this give kids? Over and over, it's telling them that they have to work things out with bullies on their own. We need to see more of the bullies in these books ending up where they belong: in juvenile detention centers.
on January 13, 2013
I Funny by James Patterson is a wonderful story about a boy who I think is a wonderful comedian and the story of his life in his view. I recommend this book to preteens, children, and all of today's youth. I should know... I'm a preteen myself!
on February 18, 2013
Do you like funny books? Jamie Grimm wanted to win "The Planet's Funniest Kid Contest," and he won! So, he went to the second round in New York City, read 'I Funny' to find out what happens. He then "rolled" to the "Hope Trust" kids rehabilitation center, to visit his ol' pals, who have progressed a lot since Grimm was at the rehab center. You will enjoy `I Funny,' because this book is jam-packed with hilarious jokes, and doesn't really have any downside, (except for like two pages.).

I think this book is empowering to kids or adults in wheelchairs, because Jamie, (the main character,) is in a wheelchair! It can empower people in wheelchairs by saying jokes, and how Jamie won both rounds. I also believe that this book is primarily for fourth and fifth graders, mostly because it says a lot of "semi-hard-ish" words. If you want to read a hilarious story, "I Funny" is the book to read!
on December 23, 2013
I'm really shocked by all the 5 star reviews on here (I know Mr. Patterson's mom couldn't have written ALL of them!). I read this book aloud to my 8 and 10 year old boys and found it very depressing, but also not believable. This boy lost his entire family, and his ability to walk, in a car accident and now his adoptive brother mentally and physically abuses him daily with no protection from his adoptive parents??? NOT FUNNY! Very sad, and the book doesn't even really conclude on a positive note. I actually found the book quite disturbing.
on February 10, 2013
My son, a fourth grader, and I read this book together each night before bed. We both loved it. He loved the bathroom humor - you know the farts, burps, and butt jokes that are so humorous at that age. And he also loved the serious side of the story. When Jamie tells "Cool Girl" about the horrific event that caused him to end up in a wheelchair, we both cried. When Jamie competes to be the funniest kid comic, we both laughed and cheered. I highly recommend this book. It helps children see the good and bad, the funny and tragic, while giving them a wonderful role model in the main character, Jamie.
on March 8, 2016
I personally love James Patterson, but with having kids I wanted them to read something they would hopefully like. They have liked it so far. They thought it was funny and kept them interested. I bought this one because it was the first in the series.
on April 7, 2013
This book is awesome, hysterical, and heartwarming. My mom tells me James Patterson writes lots of adult books, but this one and all the other middle school books are really good. He also has a series for young adults, maybe ages 13-19, called Maximum Ride. I found the first middle school book in my friend's house, and she HATES reading. (Except graphic novels)
on January 15, 2013
My daughter (12yo/7th grd) read this book in two days and loved it. The book was a very easy book for her to read. She had just finished The Book Thief so she really needed a happy, funny, book. This book definitely made her laugh. Thanks, Mr. Patterson, for sharing your fun imagination. :)