5.0 out of 5 stars Terrific knife sharpener
Published on October 21, 2007 by Bernard Morey

1.0 out of 5 stars Beware, NOT same as original one!
I bought this item to replace one I have owned and used for several years, and loved.
THIS is NOT the same as the original one , although it bears the same name and looks much like it.
Aparently there are at least TWO models (with differing numbers) of this item that are very similar but not of the same quality.
This one (#626) started coming apart on the...
Published on January 25, 2011 by Don Raye

5.0 out of 5 stars Terrific knife sharpener, October 21, 2007
Bernard Morey (Bulleen, Vic. Australia) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Furi FUR626 Ozitech Diamond Fingers Pro Knife Sharpener (Kitchen)
My wife was given an expensive Furi knife as a gift. I didn't want this to be relegated to the bottom of the kitchen odd-and-ends drawer because I couldn't sharpen it properly. I have (or had) number of different sharpeners, all useless or difficult to use: tungsten carbide pull-through, traditional steel, can-opener &c. So I got the Ozitech because it's Furi's own sharpener.

It's brilliant and easy to use. Not only does it keep the Furi in good shape it did a terrific sharpening job on a lot of other knives I haven't used for years. A quality Victorinox boning knife is now razor-sharp and a pleasure to use. I resurrected a couple of cheap-and-nasty stainless steel Chinese knifes - even they are now useable. We tried the tomato test with the cheap carving knife - just pressed it flat. Ten strokes through the Ozitech and it slices it neatly and easily, and I went to on to carve the roast lamb with it later that evening. It might not hold an edge but with the Ozitech it's quickly restored with 3 or 4 strokes.

The Ozitech isn't in the bottom drawer. It sits next to the knife block on the bench ready to be used when required.

4.0 out of 5 stars does what it's supposed to, October 5, 2006
Tried this on my favorite but often dull chefs knife and after 4-6 strokes was very very sharp. Works great as promised. casing cheap so not sure how long that will last or if it will hamper it's operation. compact, stores well, would be great for motor home or other small kitchen. For $29, makes me wonder what the $99 version does that Amazon also carries. knocked a star off for the cheap plastic case.

5.0 out of 5 stars It works, June 11, 2007
fallingman (North Carolina) - See all my reviews
Easy to use and it works as advertised.

I had one really dull knife and I did 6 swipes through the thing as suggested. Didn't do much. I thought the gizmo might not be any good or at least not up to this particular task . Another 10 swipes and this knife is sharp as the deuce.

I'm pleased. Beats trying to get the angle right on a steel or living with dull knives.

You can see the diamond pieces and really feel them sharpening as you pull the knife through the fingers. An ingenious device.

They give you ample warning, but be careful opening the thing. It's plastic and you can break it in an instant if you try to force it the wrong way.

5.0 out of 5 stars works, May 16, 2006
I bought this knife sharpener because I was tired of knives that would not cut & the vender I brought it from, The Handy House, told me that it worked and I had bought things from her before on her word. And it works. My knifes are old & dull. A few swips through the sharpener blade & I had a brand new knife & the price is also good.

4.0 out of 5 stars Much Easier to Use, June 1, 2007
szqsk8 (California, USA) - See all my reviews
This sharpener is a God-send. Trying to sharpen knives is always a pain. There is a real art to doing that and I am definitely challenged in that respect. Using a stone is really hard to learn but just pop this open and away you go!

The only issue I have is the cheapie clips on the side that you have to pop open to open the pack. Why use such flimsy plastic that will eventually crack instead of some sort of a hinge?

1.0 out of 5 stars Beware, NOT same as original one!, January 25, 2011
This one (#626) started coming apart on the very first use. The problem is the diamond coating on the fingers is not well adhered/bonded to the steel fingers and therefore as soon as I started using it The diamond coating started flaking off in thin flakes, leaving only the bare steel fingers underneath. the coating was simply poping right off of the steel fingers/blades, and by the time I had made a few strokes with my 8" chef's knife it had shed most of the diamond coating on two of the blades and was starting on a third one. I am an avid cook and have many fine knives and at that rete I would not have even made it a week before this item would have been totally useless.
Check out the other slightly more expensive model (#838) for sale here as I am going to order that one in hopes it is more like the one I already have (which has lasted for years and worked very well). This item is model #626 and is cheaply made. Avoid it! I have returned this one to purchase the "hopefully" better version. BEWARE!.

1.0 out of 5 stars Removes metal quickly, sharpens poorly, January 4, 2010
I purchased two of these as potential gifts, and tried one out on a pocket knife that I knew could hold a good edge. The diamond fingers quickly put a decent 20-degree bevel on the blade, but never got it sharp enough to slice paper. The diamond grit is simply too coarse to produce a decent edge; I needed to run it through a pair of crock sticks for a minute or so to get it sharp enough to shave the hair on my forearm. And if you have crock sticks, you don't need the Furi Ozitech...

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome invention, January 18, 2007
I recieved the Rachel Ray knives for Christmas and this was an excellent purchase to keep those knives in shape. It is so much easier to use then traditional sharpers, and faster. You only need to run your knives through a few times to sharpen. Plus its compact, so it doesn't take up a lot of room in my already cramped kitchen. I highly recommend this product.

3.0 out of 5 stars Really Cheap Case, December 9, 2006
Be really careful if you buy this product. The case is designed for beauty, not functionality. The sharpener came in a clamshell package, which I cut open. I then opened the sharpener the way it looked like it should open, and immediately broke the spine on the case. After my frustration subsided, I started looking at the packaging more closely and noticed a small note on the BACK of the package showing how to easily open the clamshell. Once I did that, the inside was full of warnings about how to open the case- warnings that if not followed, break the case and void the warranty.

Two things that really frustrated me:

1) If it is really super important to open the case in a certain way, wouldn't it have been smarter to put the warnings on the FRONT of the shipping package, and then on the outside of the product as well?

2) The case was designed to look cool, but once you throw the clamshell shipping package away with the warnings on it, anyone picking up the product to use it is going to break the case as I did. What a poor design: opening the case the way it looks like it should be open breaks it.

They have stuck a piece of paper inside the clamshell warning you that if you open the case wrong and break the spine, you void the lifetime warranty. Obviously, they have had many complaints about this. Unfortunately for me, I looked at the front of the package and took the product out before reading all the paperwork inside. I am very disappointed in the design of the case.

The sharpener did actually sharpen one of my high dollar knives after about 40 strokes (not the advertised four or five), so I will probably keep it due to its portability. If you buy this, just be aware that it won't be long before the poorly designed case breaks.

I would rate the sharpening capability as average to good, but the case as a design nightmare.

3.0 out of 5 stars Side snaps not acceptable, August 28, 2006
While the sharpener seems to live up to its original intent, the side snaps designed to hold the unit closed when not in use are cheap and detach easily. One of mine came apart when I first opened the sharpener.