5.0 out of 5 stars this whole series rocks - buy this series!
If you are in to hard core science fiction, you need this series. rockin!
Published on January 13, 2007 by Patrick E. Harvey

2.0 out of 5 stars this is where the series lost me
Published on October 18, 2010 by Robert J. Crawford

2.0 out of 5 stars this is where the series lost me, October 18, 2010
Robert J. Crawford (Balmette Talloires, France) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Furious Gulf (Galactic Center) (Mass Market Paperback)
So the human remnants are headed to the center of the galaxy. Unfortunately, even though I was a science journalist way back when, the concepts that Benford wants to get across - the high gravity environment, the differing passage of time, the energy beings that seem to have forgotten who they are yet still talk, all of which are related to the arcane world of modern physics, i.e. quantum gravity, etc. - were for the first time completely incomprehensible to me. Even worse, with some exceptions like Toby or the resurrected Shibo, Benford seems far more interested in his ideas than he is in characters or even a coherent plot. I could not get myself to care about the characters, to suspend my disbelief and get into the story as if it were possible, or even to doubt that the outcome would be stupidly predictable. I did not want to try very hard to understand the physics.

This is extremely unfortunate, because the first 4 books really held my attention as some of the best current scifi I had yet read, idea novels that had great characters. In a way, it is like Benford is trying to milk a good thing when the gland is already empty. He is pushing the grand concept novel to a logical extension, and it stretches things so far that it breaks.

Not recommended. He wrote this too quickly, didn't care to formulate a better plot, and essentially turned me off to his writing, which I regret.

5.0 out of 5 stars this whole series rocks - buy this series!, January 13, 2007
Patrick E. Harvey (Atlanta, GA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Furious Gulf (Galactic Center) (Mass Market Paperback)
If you are in to hard core science fiction, you need this series. rockin!

5.0 out of 5 stars Tremendous accomplishment, January 13, 2013
I know a lot of reviewers found some of the Galactic Center series (especially the final volume) problematic. However, I found the entire series to be powerful, engaging and provocative from beginning to end.

1.0 out of 5 stars Only the rocks rock in this lame duck series!, July 26, 2008
This review is from: Furious Gulf (Galactic Center) (Mass Market Paperback)
If you respect your intellectual capabilities and have no time to waste for useless, endless pages of non-sensical and irrational fiction, written by a guy who was probably on drugs while he did it, you won't waste your money on this. See my other review of the same author's series to find out details... I just can't bring myself to talk more about this brain dead stuff again!
I'd give him negative points if there were any!

Furious Gulf (Galactic Center)
Furious Gulf (Galactic Center) by Gregory Benford (Mass Market Paperback - February 1, 2005)
$22.50