5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent!
Published on April 16, 2008 by Mango

In this second compilation from L.J. Smith, readers are presented with The Fury and Dark Reunion -- books 3 and 4 of the Vampire Diaries.

Published on November 20, 2009 by Erin K. Simons

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent!, April 16, 2008
This review is from: The Fury and Dark Reunion (The Vampire Diaries) (Paperback)
I read the first three books after finding them at my old school library years ago. And I must admit, I ALMOST didn't read them and that is mainly because I thought the covers looked old and boring. Of course, there is the old rule: "Never judge a book by its cover!" I'm so glad I did decide to read them! I fell in love with "The Vampire Diaries" series and have continued to reread them again and again.

I was very excited when I found the fourth one, and it's just as great as the others! The fact that Bonnie was the main character made it even better, as she is one of my favorite characters.

Not everybody will like these books. The main character, Elena Gilbert, would probably turn many away. Elena is a popular, beautiful girl in her high school. She is admired by the girls and drooled over by the boys. And when Elena sees something she wants (Stefan Salvatore, a mysterious, attractive boy), she does whatever possible, never quitting, until she gets it.

However, things don't stay perfect forever in Elena's world. Soon, one of her best friends, jealous and spiteful, turns on her, and people are being attacked by some kind of animal. We don't find out what is really harassing Fells Church until the third book "The Fury"(the first book in this one), and my personal favorite.

Through all the books she has three good, trusting friends---one of them her ex-boyfriend---sticking by her side, along with Stefan Salvatore, the one she falls in love with. And the one that happens to be a vampire born during the Italian Renaissance.

I recommend this book, and the first one, to anyone that likes reading vampire books or if you just want something to read. And if you like these go read some of L.J. Smith's other books.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, But Not Her Best, December 26, 2007
I first must say that I've admired L.J. Smith for over 10 years. I was pulled into her worlds via the Night World series and sought out everything else--Night of the Solstice, Heart of Valor, the Forbidden Game trilogy, the Dark Visions trilogy, and the Secret Circle trilogy. I've always loved her originality, and I have never, ever found an author I've admired and aspired to be as good a writer so much as her.

That said, this was the first and only book of hers I thought could be better.

This volume contains two books in one--The Fury and Dark Reunion. And The Fury was brilliant. Elena's character has grown so much, her love for Stefan has evolved and become something touching and beautiful. Stefan has also become more interesting, and Damon was a character I finally got to KNOW and love.

The twist at the end of The Fury was also brilliant--I didn't see that one coming, but it all tied in perfectly. The villain in the end was mad with love and anger, and just done to a creepy, childlike perfection.

I did not like Dark Reunion. At all.

First of all, as much as L.J. Smith set up for Damon to grow, you only got to see a glimpse of this at the end of the book. She tries to show more with scatterings of Matt-interaction, but it just doesn't flesh out so well. The entire novel revolves around Bonnie and the others--that in itself was jarring, and could have flowed better from the other novels if it had been told from more of Stefan or even Damon's point of view (POV). Reading from Bonnie's POV was like going back to Elena's in the first book, and by the end of The Fury, the reader is expecting that growth to transfer over somehow.

The ending was wrapped up in a happy way, but it was also rushed and made me feel like I was missing something big.

That isn't to say I don't recommend this book--I do. Like I said, The Fury was brilliant, and some parts of Dark Reunion are pretty good. Overall it is a good book.

But I have seen L.J. Smith end her works a lot better than she did here.

3.0 out of 5 stars Vampire Diaries is a wonderful TRILOGY -- with a not-so-wonderful coda, November 20, 2009

I was thrilled by the first half of the book (The Fury), and thought it provided a bittersweet but satisfying conclusion to her Vampire Diaries "trilogy." For the sake of remaining spoiler-free, this last installment of the originally planned series follows Elena and Stefan (and Damon) full-cycle through their complicated relationship, including some genuinely unexpected plot twists and surprises that I didn't see coming. The character development is at its best in this book, with all of the main players showing growth and much more likeablity. I am a huge Damon fan, but then again, I always did have a thing for bad boys. ;-)

However, I can't offer the same praise to the second half of the book, originally the fourth installment called Dark Reunion. In a classic case of "jumping the shark," LJ Smith deconstructs the emotionally charged resolution of the trilogy (probably at her publisher's insistance) and relaunches the story line with a silly and unnecessary addendum. The whole plot of this fourth book feels like an afterthought. Instead of the love triangle and romantic tension taking center stage in Dark Reunion, the entire book plays out like an episode of Buffy the Vampire Slayer, with all of the supporting characters of the previous three books becoming "Scoobies" and banding together to fight evil in Fall's Church side by side. Unfortunately, the formula change didn't work for me, not at all. And the Big Bad Evil that is thrust into the story just seemed like an example of further shark-jumping.

I'm happy that the "reset" opens the doors for LJ Smith's spinoff series The Vampire Diaries: Revisited (which I believe "stars" my favorite Salvatore brother, Damon), but I wish that the author and publisher could have found a better way to set the stage for new stories without compromising the impact of the original Diaries.

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't waste your money!, September 5, 2010
~~~~~SPOILER ALERT~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

So, I had not even heard of these books until I watched the show- which I absolutely LOVE! Now I should have known right away that the books weren't going to be as great as the show, because people were saying the show was "loosely" following the books. Loosely is right! I find it completely comical that L.J. Smith wants us readers to believe Elena is "torn" between the two brothers, when she has just about little to no interaction between Damon and Elena in any of the books. One moment Elena despises Damon because she believes he is the one behind everything that has been going on in Fell's Church, then before she dies she mentions that she loves both of them!!! WTH?! The author made no attempt to take us readers on the journey that would show us how and WHY she loved him, and why she was caught in a love triangle! She was not caught in any sort of love triangle!!! She is all over Stefan the moment she sees him at school and is basically obsessed with him the whole entire series!

I laugh now when I read the back of this book and it says that Damon finally possesses Elena. Um, when exactly was this?? I must have blinked and missed it. Yes, right after she awakens from being turned she is attached to Damon but shortly after she is all, "Oh, Stefan!" again. We as readers aren't stupid and I think it is insulting to tell us that Elena finds herself in a love triangle and expect us honestly to believe that when you show absolutely no interaction among the two that would support your claim. And then the back of the book continues on and reads, "But will his thirst for revenge poison his triumph?"... Um, no it's not, because you squash it halfway into the fourth chapter!

I simply think the author did not know what to do with Damon. And she did not know how to have him and Elena interact with each other, so she just does nothing with them. And then when she writes that Elena loves both of them she just assumes we will automatically know why. Whatever is going on between Damon and Elena must be happening in the authors head and she is just not creative enough to bring it to life on paper.

So, all in all, I would not waste your money on these books. There is no love triangle like the author claims there is, she is just saying that hoping to sell these ridiculous books. Now off to throw my copies in the trash where they belong!

1.0 out of 5 stars Crappy book - better show, February 6, 2011
Horrible written, paced incredible fast, not worth reading one page. The show is MUCH better- I'm a huge fan. I don't know how they turned such a crappy book into such a great show.

5.0 out of 5 stars amazing............, December 26, 2007
I loved The Fury and i agree with the person above that said that Elena grew as a character a lot. That was one of the best things about the book
It started where it left off with Stefan showing Matt Elena, as a Vampire............... I couldn't put the book down until i finished it (when you start Dark Reunion you'll see why). I just needed to know the ending and at the same time i was very scared to be dissapointed by it. I love Stefan and Damon both in completely different ways.
Dark Reunion was my least favorite book. Not because something that happens or anything but because it was from bonnies point of view and it felt like we had to get to know her just like we did Elena in the 1st book. I havent read any other books by L.J Smith so i cant really say it's the best one or anything, but if her books are as beautifully written as this series i will surely get them.
So yeah i'd recommend The Fury and Dark Reunion, you wont always like a series 100 percent, I don't think it's possible.
And anyway if you've read the first 2 you have to read the ending, come one people!!!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars A great book, February 25, 2008
I've been reading L.J. Smith since I was eleven-years-old, and even though her books tackle mature subject matter and the realm of supernatural fiction, I've always loved them. I grew up like a million other teenage girls, feeling isolated even though I was surrounded by many. Being a teenager is a really hard time in any person's life, but sometimes reading a book made things a little easier. I could relate to L.J.'s main characters, because even though they are surrounded by extraordinary and unbelievable circumstances, they are still human in their characteristics and deepest motivations. They provided an escape from my own thoughts into that of another person, and gave me hope for a change from the mundane in my life. The books are no Jane Austin, but they are relatable, and her characters are always engaging. I highly recommend all books by L.J. Smith to any young woman who is looking for a way to expand her reading horizons. The most fascinating thing for me about this author is that I've been reading and rereading her books for nine years, and they have become familiar friends. For my own little sister, they provided a connection for us to communicate across a continent while I am away at school, and they gave me the motivation to have confidence in my own writing. I don't think I would be an English major without the influence of Ms. Smith and other authors like her.

5.0 out of 5 stars OMG, November 13, 2008
A. Elliott (College Station, TX United States) - See all my reviews
I received the first book, The Awakening,for my birthday in 6th grade; which was a very long time ago since I will turn 30 on my next birthday. I read them and every other L.J. Smith book and looked forward to Strange Fate for years. I actually haven't reread them in a few years, but I am excited to be able to buy them again. My original books from the Vampire Diaries are literally being held together with packing tape, I read them so much as a preteen and teenager. These books were my entrance to the genres of urban fantasy and now I can reread them once again and my kids can have them and not have worry about missing a page!

1.0 out of 5 stars Imigination Run Wild., February 6, 2011
I absolutely love Vampire Diaries, that is the TV version. The books are horrible especially this one! You can't have everything in life, or death for that matter! Elaina is dead how the heck can that give her super powers? It seems like everything ran according to plan no one died that couldn't come back to life all the bad guys got what they deserved blah blah blah...Get it at the library before you decide to waste your money buying it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Vampire Diaries, January 27, 2008
The Vampire Diaries: The Fury and Dark Reunion (The Vampire Diaries)
This book, which is a combination and reprint of books 3 and 4 (the Fury and Dark Reunion) is a classic vampire story of two constantly feuding brothers who struggle to attain the attention of the beautiful and now transformed Elena.

The Fury and Dark Reunion (The Vampire Diaries)
The Fury and Dark Reunion (The Vampire Diaries) by L. J. Smith (Paperback - December 26, 2007)
$9.99 $8.99