CHOKING HAZARD -- Small parts. Not for children under 3 yrs.
Fuseworks Beginners Fusing Kit
|Price:||$78.95 & FREE Shipping. Details|
|You Save:||$56.45 (42%)|
- Create beautiful pendants, earrings and more
- Includes kiln, fusing, bits, glass, earring, bails, kiln paper, glass cutter, hot mitts and instructions
- Learn to fuse glass in your microwave oven
Frequently Bought Together
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
Customers Who Viewed This Item Also Viewed
Top Customer Reviews
Before committing to all of this, I decided to look for an easy, affordable alternative that I use to experiment creating jewelry. I purchased this kiln based on the two reviews that were available. Since receiving it I have been using it daily. It is very small, but multiple items can be done at one time (max of 3 or even 4 if very small)as long as similar results are desired. I've had so much fun with it that a friend of mine who is also taking the class has now ordered one as well.
The only concern I have is that the kiln paper that comes with kit creates a rough surface on the edges and bottom of the pieces, creating the need to "sand" the pieces to get them smooth. I went to a specialty store for advice and ended up buying a glass file and another type of kiln paper. The new kiln paper solved my problem. Now I am very happy with my results!
1. This kit has almost everything needed to make a good bit of fused pieces
2. The kiln works better than I anticipated
3. You'll be making pieces on the very first day
4. It's fun and addictive!!
Cons (and I hope the creators of this kit read this):
1. Considering this is supposed to be for "beginners" I give the instructions about 2 stars. How could they be better? Include a project or two to get us started. We get a lot of glass, and no idea what to do with it. That part was a little frustrating.
2. The cutting tool sucks (sorry but it really does). I butchered the first few pieces of glass because I had no idea how to use their tool. Also - a glass breaking tool is necessary which is not included. I ended up tapping mine with a hammer to get it to break on the score line.
3. The kiln paper they include is awful and leave the back of your piece rough and bumpy. Buy some smooth paper, like Bullseye thinfire.
That's it for now! I've already ordered more glass (the round shapes are cool!) and can't wait to make more pendants. Overall, I will give this kit 5 stars just because it's so cool to finally have a kiln that's less than $100!
Advice: DON'T use your dichroic glass until you get a hang of the kiln, otherwise you might ruin it while practicing. DO try lot of different glass combinations in order to learn what works with what. If you aren't getting good results (bubbles, sharp edges, etc) try reducing the power of your microwave and try different things until you find one that works for you.
First the Positives
The directions were very easy to follow. They tell you how to use this kiln. They are very clear about how hot the kiln gets and how come you need to not open it before it's time, not touch the glass until it's cooled and so on.
The first thing I put in there was made with the little bits of glass that came with the kit. It turned out perfectly.
The kit is mostly complete. With one exception, everything you need to make something in your microwave that is gorgeous and fun is included.
I quickly became addicted. I wanted to run out and buy more 'stuff' to make more 'stuff' with this little kiln. It is a great introduction to glass fusing. It made me want to run out and buy a bigger kiln and do bigger projects.
You will absolutely need to buy some glass cutter pliers. It comes with a glass cutter 'knife' but without the pliers you just end up hitting the glass and hoping it breaks on the score. It is a disspointment that this isn't included in the kit because it is a must.
You will also want to buy some glue in order to glue your creations to your earrings and necklace pieces.
While the directions are clear about how to use the kiln- they are not clear about how to put things together to make something. In other words, the directions are for the little kiln ONLY. There is very limited direction about putting the bits and bobs and glass squares together to make something. I wanted to have a little bit more instruction about that.Read more ›
Most Recent Customer Reviews
I like it for small jewelry. Have to keep it small when you use this product.Published 11 days ago by M Maner
second one I have bought! Love them.. wear them out! :) fun fun fun! highly recommend if you enjoy making things-Published 17 days ago by AR Grover
Great fun for a beginning and not so complicated. It provided motivation to do more.Published 3 months ago by PKM
I am brand new to glass fusion - like this morning when I ordered this (Amazon Prime same day delivery).
As instructed I pre-baked the kiln for 3 min. Read more
very cheaply made. Broke the first time I used it. Wouldn't recommend.Published 6 months ago by Pam Starrett