From the Inside Flap
The future of the world is threatened by a rising demand for energy, especially crude oil, which poses grave risks to nations' security and economies and the global environment. But a technological revolution now brewing promises energy independence for every nation at the expense of terrorists and anti-American nationalists. It also holds the key to moderate long-term energy prices and a significantly improved natural environment.
This energy technology revolution, which will be the equal of the information revolution of the 1990s, will restructure the global oil industry as radically as it was restructured in the 1800s when the demand for whale oil decimated whale populations. It will fundamentally change nations, challenging leaders to balance competing technologies and sectors and shape them into a "new" oil industry that serves the people, not special interests. It will affect every company, every household, and every investor.
Future Energy is a timely guide that will help you understand and benefit from this new oil industry by identifying disruptive new technologies, companies working on them, and other companies that will be counted on as the producers and infrastructure providers of the new oil industry.
Written by Bill Paula national energy and environmental journalist for more than thirty yearsFuture Energy is filled with in-depth insight and practical advice.
Future Energy deals specifically with the technology revolution in "mobile" energy production and consumption (think cars and trucks), while showing how this revolution is interacting with a concurrent revolution in "stationary" energy production and consumption (think homes, offices, and factories). It will help you understand the interaction between such components as hybrid engines (including those you will plug into a wall socket) and substitute fuels (both biofuel and unconventional fossil fuels). It highlights what could turn out to be one of technology's greatest contributions: an "oil field" that never runs out and can never be nationalized.
Essential issues covered throughout these pages include:
- Why you should consider holding "oil shock" absorbinginvestments in your portfolio
- The role that substitute liquid fuels (SLFs) will playin the new oil industry
- The increased importance that "solid" fossil fuels such as coal and tar sands will play in nations' energy security strategies
- How electricity will become a new transportation fuel,providing unprecedented transportation fuel diversity
- Why crude oil will continue to be a vital part of the world'senergy mix for years to come, and why Big Oil will continue to play a dominant role in the new oil industry
- Why it's conceivable that energy efficiency could become a new method of wealth creation
The new oil industry will change the way we live and invest, but with Future Energy as your guide, you'll be prepared to make the most of this situation. Written in a straightforward and accessible style, Future Energy will help you navigate this dynamic new environment and show you how to profit from the changes that lie ahead.
From the Back Cover
Praise for Future Energy
"Do not despair. Energy independence is in our future and this book has the road map! Bill Paul, one of the most astute observers of the energy scene, describes the new technologies that are taking us there and that will change our lives. A must-read book showing how business, citizens, and investors can take advantage."
Consuelo Mack, Anchor and Managing Editor Consuelo Mack WealthTrack
Concerns over the availability and security of world energy supplies, especially when it comes to crude oil, have many people wondering what the future of this industry holds and how technology will continue to change it. Thanks to the energy technology revolution currently taking place, a promising "new" oil industry is quickly beginning to take shapeand it will, without a doubt, affect every company, household, and investor.
In Future Energy, author Bill Paula national energy and environmentaljournalist for more than thirty yearsskillfully addresses the investment implications of this new oil industry and shows you how to profit from the changes that lie ahead. Filled with in-depth insights and expert advice, Future Energy will introduce you to some of the most essential issues found within this new environment, including:
- The companies that will be counted on as the producers andinfrastructure providers of the new oil industry
- Why you should consider holding "oil shock" absorbing investmentsin your portfolio
- How electricity will become a new transportation fuel, providingunprecedented transportation fuel diversity
- The role that substitute liquid fuels (SLFs) will play in the newoil industry
- And much more