5.0 out of 5 stars A modern-day "No Alternative" ...
Published on August 17, 2004 by E. J. Sawdey

3.0 out of 5 stars pretty righteous.
i heard about this cd a while ago, was very excited, found it, wasn't as impressed as i thought i would be. don't get me wrong--there are some real gems on here (among them: "this will be our year", "game of pricks", "off with your head", "money"). but there were a few disappointments ("going for the gold", "everything's ruined", etc.)

i figure it's worth it...
Published on March 25, 2005 by margarita

5.0 out of 5 stars A modern-day "No Alternative" ..., August 17, 2004
E. J. Sawdey "sawdeye" (Galesburg, IL United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Future Soundtrack for America (Audio CD)
In the wake of countless anti-Bush books, albums, and playing cards comes yet another compilation that's anti-Bush (MoveOn.org), but not as direct as others (the liner notes merely want you to "vote for what you want, whatever that may be"). Yet, it doesn't matter where your political standing lies, because there's something for just about everyone (particularly indie-rock fans) here, and, thankfully, most all of it is extraordinarily good.

All songs are domestically unreleased, some just for this compilation, some only available on import CD's or obscure B-sides. They range from funny to serious to light-hearted to dead serious. Thankfully, there is no "one major highlight" - there are several. Continuing a pop-single success streak, will.i.am of the Black Eyed Peas delivers a bouncy, fun, and poignant jam called "Money" (wonderful use of strings), Ben Kweller has more fun with "Jerry Falwell Destroyed the Earth" than he did on his entire last album (while still making quite the political stance), R.E.M. delivers a powerful one that perfectly mixes their latter-day electro-experimentalism with their classic songwriting style circa-"Automatic for the People." Again, there is something for everyone.

There are some truly odd choices though - Clem Snide deliver the all-accapella "Ballad of David Icke," while the Yeah Yeah Yeahs give forth a live version of "Date With the Night" where Karen O's voice is screeching so much, she almost sounds like a man at the start of the song. Meanwhile, the Long Winters pulls off a truly unique Flaming Lips imitation, while Blink-182 deliver a remix of "I Miss You" that starts off even more emotional than the original mix but sounds almost exactly the same as the original around the 2nd chorus. Bright Eyes sounds as emotional as ever (though, one can argue, he does on every song) in a live take of "Going for the Gold," and Tom Waits delivers the most classic Tom Waits he knows how to give.

Then, there are highlights that define "highlights." The Flaming Lips offer a stripped-down version of "Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots" that makes such a quirky song actually sound tragic, OK Go unleash a first-rate Zombies cover that (surprisingly) improves on the original, They Might Be Giants cover "Tippecanoe And Tyler Too" and make it sound both fun and serious at the same time (it's quite the feat), Death Cab for Cutie give one of their most haunting songs since "Styrofoam Plates," the late Elliott Smith proves that, even postmortem, he's still as vital as ever, and former Soul Coughing frontman Mike Doughty delivers a solo highlight with "Move On," a fun, poignant, and catchy pop ditty that just might be the best guilty pleasure on the whole album.

Unlike most modern-day compilations, this set is designed for a fan of many forms of music - the more the merrier. You'll at least like SOMETHING on here, and, whatever your political stance may be, you'll probably have a good time with it too.

5.0 out of 5 stars Not 'Future Soundtrack', but 'Todays Soundtrack', September 2, 2004
This review is from: Future Soundtrack for America (Audio CD)
Some of us are political, some of us are not; but if you let that get in the way of your decision to buy this album or not, your really going to lose out on some great music. This album plays like a who's who of great solid artists. The album was produced and published by a Seattle based record company so it is a little heavy on bands either from the Northwest or signed to Northwest labels. Regardless of that fact, they are all really good bands.

With songs from Death Cab for Cutie, R.E.M. Sleater-Kinney, The Long Winters, They Might be Giants, The Flaming Lips, Fountains of Wayne, Nada Surf, Old 97's, Tom Waits and Elliott Smith; how could you possibly not find something you like. Even if you've only heard of one of these bands, you'll like the whole thing.

Stuffed full of fantastic unreleased hits from some of today's best artists, this is a definite buy!

5.0 out of 5 stars After the dust settled, it became about music..., March 6, 2005
This review is from: Future Soundtrack for America (Audio CD)
Political issues aside, this is one great album, period. I had an opportunity to listen to it when the dust from the 2004 Presidential Election had settled, and was floored by the quality of the contributions of the diverse artists, many of which are alternate or live versions of other songs you may have heard before. When you think of the many acts that joined in to make the "Future Soundtrack..." a reality, it's tough to choose any favorites.

Whether you know the bands or not, my guess is you will enjoy most of the tracks. This is something rare in this type of recording (a typical case that comes to mind about how these tend to sound is a triple-CD album that was released to help Tibet, most of which was terrible). In the "Future Soundtrack for America" there's the veterans: R.E.M., Tom Waits, The Flaming Lips, David Byrne; as well as several younger acts coming up strong. All of them give themselves into this album "like there's no tomorrow" and the result is one solid album from end to end, with 20 great tracks bound to stick around.

You could have bought it for the cause it stood for, back in 2004. The truth is today it is still great music, and it will continue to be so for a good while. And if you think I am doing this for political reasons, let me share a little bit with you: I normally listen to the music in an album first, and only after many, many times, do I sit down to pay attention to the lyrics. That hasn't yet happened with this album, and I already love it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Please enter a title for your review:, October 15, 2004
Mike K. (Massachusetts, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Future Soundtrack for America (Audio CD)
I'm going to avoid focusing on the politics involved here and focus on the music. go to the moveon.org and musicforamerica.com sites and judge for yourself whether they're causes worth giving money to. If so, read on, if not, browse for something else.

Though primarily focused on "indie" acts, this album is still pretty diverse, which can be both a good and bad thing (whose idea was it to follow up a typically jazz-pop-rap track by Will.i.am from the Black-eyed Peas with They Might Be Giants' cover of William Henry Harrison's 1840's campaign song?). Highlights include the aforementioned TMBG song, OKGO's surprisingly subtle cover of The Zombies "This Will Be Our Year", former Soul Coughing vocalist Mike Doughty's "Move On", Laura Cantrell's haunting rendition of country classic "Sam Stone", and the late Elliott Smith's "A Distorted Reality...", soon to be available on his posthumous album From The Basement On The Hill. The problem lies in too many live/alternate versions of things; the "acoustic" rendition of Fountains Of Wayne's "Everything's Ruined" improves on the far too muted original from their debut album, but the Blink 182 remix is barely different from the original (which isn't a good song to begin with), the Bright Eyes live track is gratingly drawn out, and the Yeah Yeah Yeahs live version of "Date With The Night" is too murky to really capture their manic live shows. As a compilation, this album has a few flaws, and is a bit overstuffed with alternate versions and live material, but overall it's got enough good material to warrant purchase if you like at least a handful of the bands involved, and again, you believe in the cause.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, September 11, 2004
M. Cooper (San Francisco, CA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Future Soundtrack for America (Audio CD)
This really is an amazing collection of artists/songs. Praise the advent of the protest CD because I don't see how these band would otherwise all come together. There are a few songs that are so-so, but by-in-large this CD is amazing.

5.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly good compilation, August 17, 2014
This review is from: Future Soundtrack for America (Audio CD)
Added this to my wish list a loooong time ago solely because TMBG has a track on there. I finally bought it and almost all the other tracks are good, too. Really enjoy listening to this album and recommend it to other alt rock fans.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Music, Great Cause, August 23, 2004
This review is from: Future Soundtrack for America (Audio CD)
I got this CD from MoveOn.org as a bonus for donating money, and until it arrived that's all it was to me--a bonus. Turns out it was worth every penny of my donation--I almost feel guilty for not giving more. The list of bands is stellar, and the songs aren't just extra stuff they had sitting around: this is great music by great artists for a great cause. It's not all overtly political--in fact, a lot of it isn't political at all. But if you like a couple of the bands on the list, chances are you'll enjoy the album overall--and appreciate the fact that the money is going to some very good causes. Buy this, enjoy it, and don't forget to vote in November!

5.0 out of 5 stars Protest, September 7, 2004
This review is from: Future Soundtrack for America (Audio CD)
It's hard to be a fan of music and be a republican. Believe me, I am both. I am a huge fan of a majority of the bands on this CD. I am that way because I enjoy the music that they make. I do not care what their political views are. I did not care before this CD was released and I do not care now. It does bother me that these bands have tried to force me to give money to a cause I don't believe in just because I want to hear their music. This has left me 2 recourses. 1. I could use some means to steal the music via the Internet or another source. 2. I could find it used, where another party would have paid the money that goes to the organizations that I don't believe in and I can be free of that forced support. The latter is what I have done. I must say that this is an excellent CD the artists involved have done an outstanding job with their music. I enjoy the music despite my political beliefs. Clem Snide, Death Cab for Cutie, and Tom Waits always produce music that can't be referred to as less than art. they are the reasons I bought this CD. I do have that one complaint: why do great artists try to force people to contribute to causes they might not believe in? I believe artists can do whatever they want to with their music. It is their intellectual property and I don't want to take that right from them. I do hope that some artists might take note from Bono (of U2) who figured out long ago it doesn't help a cause to be partisan. You actually get more done if you work with both sides to get an issue resolved. Just My 2 Cents. Once again, great CD.

3.0 out of 5 stars pretty righteous., March 25, 2005
This review is from: Future Soundtrack for America (Audio CD)

i figure it's worth it to support moveon.org, which was one of the reasons i bought the album. borrow from a friend and give it a listen before you buy.

. . . and yeah, where was the iron and wine?!

5.0 out of 5 stars It's Really Good., August 18, 2004
This review is from: Future Soundtrack for America (Audio CD)
So, full disclosure in that I work for [...] which is one of the groups that has put the disc together. but, I'm also a fan, for real, of the disc.

I really really like it. I've been rocking out to it for some time, and there's a lot of good stuff here. The OK Go cover of the Zombies is one of those happy songs that makes you smile for no apparent reason. The Death Cab track, despite Pitchfork's unhappiness with the lyrics, is drenched in this beautiful haunting melody that's made (as per usual) completely anthemic by Chris Walla's production. Death Cab is turning into a stadium band, and that's okay, and this song helps them there.

Two more tracks that stand out to me are Elliot Smith's track, which is amazingly beautiful, and I would put up there with his earlier work (I wasn't the hugest fan of Figure 8). And lastly, I was really pleasantly surprised by The Long Winter's contribution of The Commander Thinks Aloud. It's catchy, well written, and marks the band for bigger things to come.

Buy this disc. You won't be disappointed. And if you want to get involved in politics in ways that are fun and not preachy, check out [...]

thanks.

Future Soundtrack for America
Future Soundtrack for America by Future Soundtrack for America (Audio CD - 2004)