Save Big On Open-Box & Preowned: Buy "Futures [Enhanced CD]” from Amazon Warehouse Deals and save 61% off the $10.98 list price. Product is eligible for Amazon's 30-day returns policy and Prime or FREE Shipping. See all Open-Box & Preowned offers from Amazon Warehouse Deals.
Other Sellers on Amazon
Futures [Enhanced CD] Enhanced
Frequently Bought Together
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
Special Offers and Product Promotions
Top Customer Reviews
The most interesting thing about their music is that they can manage to be both sad and uplifting at the same time. A lot of their lyrics are rather depressing and melancholy, but the music is overall pretty upbeat, and doesn't really feel depressing. Jim Adkins apparently wants to share his thoughts and feelings, but he doesn't really want you to feel sorry for him, which I think is cool. That way, it never comes across as "whining", as is often the case with many bands in the "emo" style. Even when the lyrics aren't particularly cheery, the music still makes you feel good.
The album starts with the title track, a mid-paced rocker with big hooks, and a cool acoustic break. "Just Tonight" and "Pain" are faster-paced, with driving rhythms, and rousing choruses (the latter reminds me a bit of Thrice, but less metallic). "Work" and "Kill" are super-catchy melodic rock, and "Drugs or Me" and "23" are epic ballads, with huge arrangements. There's not a great deal of variety on this album, but the songwriting is strong enough to keep it interesting. The musicianship is excellent, with powerful melodic guitar hooks, and energetic drumming. Pretty much everything you could want in a straight-forward melodic rock album is here.Read more ›
This IS the best album of the year. Hands down.
For everyone else: This record has a bit of something for everyone. The only CDs that even come close are How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb by U2, The Used's In Love and Death and My Chemical Romance's Three Cheers for Sweet Revenge. Now if you are a "Oohh, I absolutely love The Middle and Sweetness was sooo good" you should enjoy half of this album. Most notably: Pain (cuz MTV tells you to) and Futures. The harder-edged fans should also enjoy Pain, Just Tonight and Nothingwrong. The REAL JEW fans (you know who I'm talking about...) would never say they sold out for doing a "techno-pop" cover of Wham's "Last Christmas" and any and all nay-sayers should be tied up and forced to listen to Ashlee Simpson sans vocal track for the rest of eternity. Everything Jimmy & Co. have done they have done for a reason. Static Prevails showed frightening talent for a debut album, and Clarity showed the kind of growth and maturity you'd expect for them after they had conquered MTV not being ignored by them. Bleed American was of course their breakthrough album, probably because it showed they could be precise, intelligent pop with the same lyrical maturity as Clarity albeit not as "deep".
Futures however is essentially a bridge between their last two records. Taking the radio-friendly pop and turning up the (almost Tim Burton-like) darkness along with the most meaningful and important lyrics this side of the new millenium makes for the album of the year.
1.) FUTURES: The title track begins with a bang.Read more ›
1. Futures- *Single* more of the pop side to J.E.W. It just has a great opener and lyrics are sweet. Very catchy song. This song will draw people to this cd. 10/10
2. Just Tonight . . .- Total change from "Futures" with a faster pace song. I love listening to this song when driving or working out. The middle guitar riff is sweet. Great Song 10/10
3. Work- *Single* hmm I liked the song when I first heard it but just kinda got bored with it. Its not a bad song but just no alot to it. 7/10
4. Kill- Kinda have the same feeling as I do with "Work" but not as bad. Good song and love the lyrics. 8/10
5. The World You Love- Think this was kinda a filler song. I still love it though. Catchy song...cant say anything bad about it. 8/10
6. Pain- *Single* Tied for the best song on the album. Fast paced and just rocking. I love it. Lyrics are written very well and chorus is awesome. You will love this song. Guitar riff is really good. 10/10
7. Drugs or Me- What a change from "Pain"....nice slow song that fits good in the middle-bottom of this cd. Kinda a sad song when you listen to it. 9/10
8. Polaris- This is a yummy song. Its a hidden gem. If you just lay back and want to listen to some music play this song. Makes this cd very strong. 10/10
9. Nothingwrong- Back to rock!! Love the opener. very very catchy. 9/10
10. Night Drive- Lyrics are very well done. This song fits the album very well. 9/10
11. 23- BEST SONG FROM JIMMY EAT WORLD!!! I love this song. I listen to it everyday and never gets old. Its long but thats what makes it so good. 11/10
Most Recent Customer Reviews
Underrated. Saw this live in concert on the 10 year anniv. tour and realized just how good this CD is start to finish.Published 9 months ago by C.J.
Love Jimmy EW. Didn't realize so many songs I liked were together on this album! Naturally, had to get it. Came quickly, earlier than projected I think, and adequately packed. Read morePublished 10 months ago by Julie1983PA
This is a great record! I can't believe its been 10 years.Published 12 months ago by Patrick Austin Stewart
|Topic||From this Discussion|
|take all of this pop and emo and nerd and art crap off of the punk rock...||Be the first to reply|