Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer showtimemulti showtimemulti showtimemulti  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

on January 21, 2013
This book is most simply put, a fabulous read. You can read it at the surface, if you like, and be entertained by a well crafted plot and endearing characters. You can go a little deeper and be titillated by the hints and nods to conspiracy theories. Or you can just go whole-hog and enjoy a ride through great story laced with enough science (and faith) to make you really think. Only this kind of thinking won't give you a headache. You may spend a bit of time bouncing between "how cool!" and "that's disturbing,..." but this is one story that doesn't let you down. The resolution of the plot is both unexpected and completely satisfying. My only suggestion: Wait and buy the print version. My device died right after I started the book. Normally, I can put away a tome like this -- especially one that's as motivating a read as Futurity -- in less than 24 hours (taking into account work and sleep!). Losing my reading device just after getting drawn into Mr. Bunker's plot was a serious exercise in frustration.
on May 25, 2013
I love Time Travel books and I could not beat the price. The first half was quite interesting especially with a fairly new approach to TT. Character development was also a plus but then it started to slide and that slide continued until it became disintegration. The God concept was a significant let down for this reader as was the last 10 pages with an assortment of previously introduced characters some how melded together with Einstein. Frankly it was a convoluted mess at that point. I'm sure the writer feels comfortable with his religious views but the ending seemed to be proselytizing to me.
on January 26, 2014
By now I have read several Michael Bunker stories. So when I saw Futurity on sale, I jumped at the opportunity. I'm glad I did.

The story is about Malcolm, a college-age man with a burning curiosity to learn about time travel. He gets to meet a couple of professors who enlighten him on time travel. But what he discovers when he visits one of them will put in motion events beyond his imagination.

Michael tells the story first person, through Malcolm's eyes. The narration has a journal entry feel, a conversational tone, to it. But this is fitting because the story begins with Malcolm interviewing professors, scribbling notes. Michael takes plenty of words to explain how time travel might be possible to the point you start thinking it is plausible. I guess that's what good stories do for you.

As a Christian and a reader of sci-fi, I've developed thick skin when reading fiction. Many stories take concerted efforts to attack religion and Christianity, either directly or indirectly, which is fine, because (for whatever reason) the author felt it important. Michael takes the opposite approach, incorporating aspects of a Universal Creator in a fictional, entertaining story. It's refreshing.

Even though I typically steer clear of time travel (time zones still confuse me), it seems like many stories I've read lately deal with it. In the case of Futurity, it was enjoyable.
on June 10, 2013
Very good surprise. It started a little silly in some points and quite lukewarm, but the end is a complete surprise and makes us think a lot on the subject - we "modern people" are really too conceitied as to accept that maybe we were not "the last glass of water in the desert"...
on June 4, 2013
The religious bent in this is irritating, but not as irritating as the simpleton characters or the overly simple plot line. It seemed that maybe the editor had to tell the author that this was a book for grown-ups so they added a few benign swear words, some cigars and some beer. But it also seemed that whoever added these elements probably has never enjoyed them. Great book if you are into Christian sci-fi (does that even exist?). Otherwise, don't waste your time.
on December 31, 2013
This was a good and fast read. I don't know that you can or should try too hard to follow the logic, that takes away from the story. Let it flow and simply enjoy a well written and told story. Definitely worth you time - in any era.
on February 12, 2014
Interesting story with a nice twist and edifying currents throughout. Engaging first-person presentation. Could use a bit of professional editorial revision but, on the whole, a pleasant read. Thanks, Michael, for sharing.
on August 13, 2013
A lot of fun; nowhere near as intriguing or thought-provoking as his other works. I'm glad to see the return of entertaining short stories in this genre.
on December 26, 2013
Relaxing entertaining escapism reading for bright ten year olds to seniors. Ending with a twist. The premise for the time travel was interesting and well thought out reminded me a bit of Issac Asimov.
on March 18, 2015
I was really enjoying this story... until the end.
Without spoiling anything for anyone who hasn't read the book, the ending isn't really spelled out so you know exactly when in time the protagonist is. There are suppositions and if those are true, then, I'm sorry, the book doesn't do it for me on several levels.
The whole book hinges on the point that God is real and allows humans to get to a certain level of advancement before knocking us down a peg.
I think I would have enjoyed it more without the whole religious aspect of it.