4.0 out of 5 stars Pharrell at his best!
Published 4 months ago by L. HODGES

3.0 out of 5 stars Great producer, average solo artist, but GROOVY album!
Published 4 months ago by Muneer Smith

4.0 out of 5 stars Pharrell at his best!, March 4, 2014
L. HODGES (Baltimore, MD) - See all my reviews
This review is from: G I R L (MP3 Music)
I'm going to start by clarifying that this is a Pop album. It's not Hip-Hop, R&B, or Alternative Rock like most of Pharrell's previous work as an artist or part of his band N.E.R.D.. So with that in mind, it's a little easier to forgive some of the corny or superficial lyrics on some songs. The quality of the music production and the catchiness of the lyrics more than makes up for what they lack in depth.

Musically, the sound is very similar to what Pharrell has been known for as part of his production team, The Neptunes although the sound is sonically richer and seems to incorporate more live instrumentation. None of the songs are too long and the 10 track playlist emphasizes Pharrell choosing Quality over Quantity this time around. Nearly every song has radio-friendly Top-40 potential.

Here's my track by track review...

"Marilyn Monroe": 4 out of 5 stars

"Brand New": 5 out of 5 stars (JT really should've collaborated with Pharrell for his 20/20 albums)

"Hunter": 2 out of 5 stars (My least favorite song. Pharrell's falsetto just sounds intolerable here)

"Gush": 4 out of 5 stars

"Happy": 5 out of 5 stars

"Come Get It Bae": 3 out of 5 stars

"Gust of Wind": 5 out of 5 stars (Really stands out. Daft Punk and Pharrell are magical in their collaborations)

"Lost Queen": 5 out of 5 stars

"Freq": 5 out of 5 stars (hidden track at the end of Lost Queen. Very beautiful song)

"Know Who You Are": 5 out of 5 stars

"It Girl": 4 out of 5 stars (Nice closing track. Reminds me of N.E.R.D)

4.0 out of 5 stars Pharrell Williams moves in a commercial direction with "G I R L", March 3, 2014
This review is from: G I R L (Audio CD)
In his two decade career, Pharrell Williams went from being Teddy Riley's protégé to one of the most respected songwriters and producers of his generation. As one half of The Neptunes, he and his partner Chad Hugo has worked with just about everyone that can be named within various genres. While leading the funk-rock outfit N.E.R.D., Williams wanted to attempt a solo career. He did so twice- once on the 2003 single "Frontin'" and again in 2006 with the release of his long-delayed Interscope Records debut "In My Mind". Musically, the album was well-produced- but the songwriting left a lot to be desired. He split duties between rapping and singing, all the while consuming himself with the limited scope of topics such as sex and wealth. When the album tanked, Williams returned to N.E.R.D. and his short run as a solo artist had been all but forgotten. N.E.R.D. quietly released their fourth album "Nothing" in 2010, which became the unofficial swan song for the group. As time went on, Williams continued to produce on his own- both under his own name as well as under The Neptunes. However, a change was not too far behind for him.

After scoring the soundtrack to the animated film "Despicable Me", Williams found himself on three of the biggest hits of 2013. The first of which was Robin Thicke's "Blurred Lines", followed by his appearance on Daft Punk's "Get Lucky" and his song "Happy". The Daft Punk connection led to Williams being offered a recording contract with Columbia to record his sophomore effort "G I R L" . This time around, Williams eschews rapping for singing but has noticeably toned down the sexual content. Opening the album is the catchy "Marilyn Monroe", where he looks for a woman with less style and more substance. He chases down a woman in the club on the quite catchy "Hunter" and includes the song "Happy" from the film "Despicable Me 2". Pop singer Miley Cyrus contributes background vocals on "Come Get It Bae", while Alicia Keys delivers a guest appearance on "Know Who You Are". The song "Lost Queen" leads into a hidden track, which is the ballad "Freq". However, the album's biggest surprise is the song "Brand New", which reunites Williams with Justin Timberlake- who haven't worked together in a decade due to a fallout over label issues. Overall, "G I R L" is a listenable album from Pharrell Wiliams. While it's pretty much what one would expect from him, one couldn't help but to notice that a decent record by Pharrell would have made a great album for N.E.R.D.

4.0 out of 5 stars Breath of fresh air!, March 6, 2014
This review is from: G I R L (MP3 Music)
The album only features 10 tracks but they all fit perfectly with the theme of the album, which means no fillers! In this time of very dark music this record serves as a breath of fresh air by giving you a genuinely happier group of tracks and doesn't follow the sheep in the music industry.

Definitely would recommend if you're in the mood for a feel good album full of up beat vocals and ACTUAL REAL musical instruments (not any of that pop stuff). Standout tracks include "brand new" which is a duet with Justin Timberlake, "Gust of wind" featuring Daft Punk and "it girl".

Pretty good and well put together album.

5.0 out of 5 stars LOVE IT!!!, March 4, 2014
This review is from: G I R L (Audio CD)
I was PLEASANTLY surprised by this album. I love Pharrell as an artist, producer, fashion icon, the whole gamut. I was a little apprehensive to listen to the album, which I JUST NOW did. There isn't ONE song on the album I don't like. I saw some of the other reviews with "one" star and I cannot believe anyone would find anything negative to say about this album. It takes it back a step and reminds me of classic R & B, but with a new flair. "Happy" is an obvious favorite and expected chart topper. I was disappointed at his loss at this year's Oscar's, but I'm sure the fact that he's sold 2.3 million copies of that song alone keeps him from being disappointed. My NEW favorite, however, is "Gush".

You go boy, proud of you!

4.0 out of 5 stars Textured and varied, March 3, 2014
This review is from: G I R L (MP3 Music)
All hits, no misses. Each song songs feels like a fully realized thought, complex and engaging. A gorgeous divergence from the typical and still completely danceable. Hunter is mindblowingly good.

5.0 out of 5 stars LOVE IT, March 3, 2014
This review is from: G I R L (Audio CD)
If you have been a fan of Pharrell since NERD and are aware of his extensive archive of work you will appreciate this sound on this album. It is true Pharrell fashion and most of the sounds are reminiscent of early NERD song era.

The album is a great buy! I don't know what these other reviews are on....

Buy! :)

3.0 out of 5 stars Great producer, average solo artist, but GROOVY album!, March 12, 2014
This review is from: G I R L (MP3 Music)
Pharrell is a brilliant producer and a decent songwriter when it comes to hooks. I'm not sold on him being a full time songwriter for himself. While Pharrell's signature creative, spacey production sounds are all over this album, some sounds don't reach their full potential because of predictable and imaginative songwriting. I'm a huge Pharrell's fan, but his solo work does not reach the level of greatness he often helps other artists achieve. Standout tracks are the feel-good anthem "Happy" (from Despicable Me 2 soundtrack), Gush, and Brand New ft. Justin Timberlake. This will be read as a bad review, but I don't really see this as a bad album. Pharrell is a producer first, so you can always count on him to give you some good vibes and good grooves to move to. The lyrics are nothing to sit and analyze, but this album will definitely have you bobbing your head, snapping your fingers, and dancing around the house while cleaning up. I copped it, and I'm not disappointed that I did.

4.0 out of 5 stars So far so good., March 4, 2014
This review is from: G I R L (Audio CD)
Reminds me a lot of Prince style music. Maybe Pharrell may not like that comparison. So far I like it.

5.0 out of 5 stars PROBABLY ALBUM OF THE YEAR, March 6, 2014
This review is from: G I R L (Audio CD)
It's retroistic pop-funk with a hot sheen, it swings, it's got clever lyrics, it's got Alicia Keys, Timberlake and Hans Zimmer, and even a guitar solo, how could he go wrong? There's even an anti-Gangsta cover.

You don't haveta shoot anyone and you can still have it all.

People whingeing about him selling out or something should get wise. This is the guy who MADE careers for performers who really wouldn't be anything special without his work. And if you wanna STAY in the industry you gotta have hits.

Purchase with confidence.

5.0 out of 5 stars Like It, March 11, 2014
This review is from: G I R L (Audio CD)
I'm really feeling this album. I have everything N*E*R*D and by Pharrell equally, and this does not disappoint. I've really noticed more than anything on this album that Pharrell's voice sounds better than I've ever heard all these years. The album as a whole reminds me of The Neptunes early work with their own N*E*R*D albums and artists like Kelis. It's very funky and retro, with that old school vibe.

Tracks like "Hunter" and "Gush" really build the momentum of the album following the appetizers "Marilyn Monroe" and "Brand New" featuring Justin Timberlake. Then of course the album wouldn't be complete without "Happy" which appears to be his biggest solo track to date. "Come Get It Bae" really gets the party started and sounds like his Part 2 version of Miley Cyrus's "#Getitright." "Gust of Wind" is very mellow and cool and "Lost Queen" just sounds like something I can't ever say I've ever heard before, something that only Pharrell could come up with. Love "Know Who You Are" featuring Alicia Keys, it has that chill, laidback Caribbean vibe, and "It Girl" sounds like something he's done before that we've never heard before.

Overall, I'm not impressed, it was expected, and Pharrell delivered! I hope this album and the success of "Happy" allow a new set of fans to get into and appreciate his musical prowess because he is just beyond talented and "G I R L" proves it.

G  I  R  L
G I R L by Pharrell Williams (Audio CD - 2014)
Rate and Discover Movies