5.0 out of 5 stars How are you going to do better?
FORM:
Published on October 23, 2010 by Sherpa Benet

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed - Too Hard to Read
Beautiful watch - poor execution? I really, really wanted to like this watch. For me it was down to this one or the basic DW5600E-1V. So, I went to Macy's last weekend to compare. And, sorry to say, I couldn't justify buying a watch I could barely read. It's very faint, a struggle to read and does take the 'right angle' of viewing to pull it off - so, it's annoying. Go...
Published on May 18, 2012 by Joel Dauteuil

5.0 out of 5 stars How are you going to do better?, October 23, 2010
FORM:
AS so many other competent reviewers have stated, this is one tough and classy tactical watch. In fact, the G-shock watches are the preferred watches among Marine Corps Infantry, MARSOC, SEAL and SF guys (NOT the brand that claims to be the "official" issue for those underwater elite fellas). THAT brand seems cool, until the glowy pieces come detached and wander around in the housing. Not good.

This one won't have that problem and it will still provide you with a low-profile, abusable time-piece with the functions you need to accomplish your assigned mission.

I bought this for timing things that needed to be timed with a stop watch and countdown timer :D, and that wouldn't stand out like a sore thumb as "tacticool" or like a wannabe aviator.

It's not only low-profile in its color scheme, but in its physical stature as well. Not every tough guy has wrists like Goliath, but they still need a big man's watch. This meets the need. It doesn't look like you've got a kitchen timer strapped to your paw, but it still looks rugged.

It's classy enough to wear out in town with a button-down and slacks, and may even snag you a few compliments from folks who notice watches. The black ion coating on the buckle, buttons and screws only add to the sleek look.

FUNCTION:
The watch performs as described. It's water resistant to 20 bars (200m) which is good enough for any military operation including diving not requiring helium gas.

It's shock and dust proof with a sturdier band than it's civilian counterpart.

The watch features 12 or 24-hour selectable time formats, day/month/date, daily and date-specific alarms (month & day) so you won't forget that important meeting (or you anniversary!), and an optional hourly beep. Other options include a full stopwatch with multi-lap function and countdown timer with 1-second intervals and optional auto-restart.

One very helpful feature is that the current time is displayed in both the timer and stopwatch functions so there's no need to switch back and forth.

The one function missing is that you cannot silence the button-beep. For a tactical/"stealth" watch this is a critical oversight on Casio's part. You can manually short-circuit it with the back off, but you will lose all audible alarm functions in doing so. Not good.

Some reviewers have mentioned that the watch is difficult to read. This is subjective. I have had no significant difficulties reading the time. If it's in a low-light situation, simply pressing the back-light button offers an instant remedy. It's unfortunate that the display is advertised as "backlit". It is not. It is simply an inverted or negative LCD display on an orange-ish plate. So instead of black numbers on a grey plate, you have the whole screen liquid black, EXCEPT for the digits, which show on a rust-colored plate vice the typical grey. And the light button is blue, not red. This is the typical color for a watch light, but it's not made explicit in the product description. A red light would have been cooler and more "tactical", but it's functional in its current iteration.

PERSONAL CONCLUSION:
I own numerous military "Squad leader" or "traditional" watches (Wenger, etc) with the analog faces and classic features. I also own numerous quality brand sports and bracelet watches (Seiko, Citizen, Bulova). Since buying this watch, I've worn none of them. It is as functional, comfortable, low-profile, tactical and classy I could want a timepiece to be. I've even worn this for nights out in town, well-dressed. It's full of retro-geek meets tough-guy chic. I might not wear it to the opera...but then again, I just might...

4.0 out of 5 stars Great watch, cool unique look-, October 20, 2009
G-Shock watches speak for themselves. My last G-shock unfortunately had a broken strap and since it was purchased in Japan, good luck with finding parts for it. I would agree with another reviewer that the "adjust" button is harder to press, but that's probably because Casio doesn't want you to accidentally hit that button. All the other 3 buttons protrude a bit more, and you don't have to use your nails to push down. The back lit is blue, and it's easy to read. Overall you can't complain about the build quality of the watch. The strap feels extremely comfortable, and the watch doesn't feel bulky at all. I have a pretty thin wrist and it fits me pretty well.

4.0 out of 5 stars Durable and looks good, October 3, 2009
This is a good looking watch and it is tough enough that you don't have to worry about breaking it while wearing it. After using it for a while I do not have a problem pushing the buttons, but it does take some practice. The face is black with red letters as it appears in the picture. The backlight is not red as it says in the description, it is blue. The light isn't too bright, but it would still be better if it was a red light.

5.0 out of 5 stars went through basic with this one, August 28, 2010
From a guy who always hated wearing watches: this is the perfect watch. Lightweight, manly, not clunky, sturdy, it does it all and doesn't need to scream it. I crawled through sand a dozen times with this telling me the time, It lasted me through basic training and I still wear it as if it where new. This watch will outlast whatever you can throw at it and manage to look good the whole time.

5.0 out of 5 stars Well-built and performs as advertised, January 1, 2010
Myriad7777 (St. Louis, Missouri) - See all my reviews
I recently purchased this watch after a bit of deliberation (wasn't sure about the negative display being "ok" to read in daily use). All I can comment is, yes, it is more difficult to read than a traditional positive display, but not so difficult as to become a nuisance once you are accustomed to it. It was made for a certain "look" as far as styling and it achieves that look quite well. The EL backlight allows for easy viewing if the lighting is low or pitch black when looking for the time.
Casio build quality is always excellent for such inexpensive products, and just knowing this watch is built to take abuse and is water resistant is good peace of mind. I've had G-shocks that are over 14 years old still going strong----the only maintenance being battery changes and pressure testing to ensure continued water resist.
Buy one with confidence, and the bonus is, the military "stealth" treatment looks pretty cool!

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't hesitate, August 25, 2013
I was looking for a G-Shock because I knew they were tough, waterproof (sorry, 'resistant') and dependable. I also knew that they were in many cases bulky and heavy. Coming across this watch I realised I could have a compromise, but I didn't fully appreciate how great a watch I was purchasing until it arrived.

First of all, it looks even better than in the photos you'll find online. I have quite thin wrists, so a big watch looks out of place and slightly gaudy on me. The understated badassery of this watch is something that is best conveyed in person, so take the plunge! I'm a big fan of the minimalist design, and I really like the fact that this watch will never clash with anything I'm wearing. That makes it versatile, and an easy choice for any combination of clothes from gym wear to formal.

The majority of negative reviews on this product are people whinging about not being able to see the time... If you have eyes in your head, you will have no issues reading the face. I like the fact that the face isn't viewable to others, to the point where the face looks all but blacked out from a distance. I also like that the numbers are light on dark, rather than vice-versa. The functionality isn't impaired at all, so don't be put off by complaints from a myopic few.

I've never bothered to write a review for a product before, but I felt compelled to in this case just on the chance that there was someone still umming and ahhing about the watch. Buy this bad boy and try to go a day of wearing it (outside you hermit) without a compliment or a jealous glance!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Watch, very resilient., April 3, 2011
I'm a member of the military and currently deployed to Afghanistan. I've gone through several watches out here and they have all given into the brutal lifestyle. I've had this watch for about two weeks now and It still looks brand new, I would recommend this watch to anyone who lives a tough lifestyle for it has lasting power.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Perfect Stealth "Beater" Watch, June 12, 2010
C. Pacheco (Jamaica Plain, MA) - See all my reviews
I loved the 5600E so much I bought this one as well. I think the all black looks gives it some edge and style. I wear this mostly to the gym but it sometimes gets worn to work. I get compliments on it all the time. It can be difficult to read the screen but I use this more to time my rests at the gym so its not much of an issue for me. I also have no problems pressing buttons.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing tactical watch, October 7, 2010
First off, this is an amazing watch. I spent years in the military, a short stint in spec-ops. This watch can do it all. It is the absolute perfect size, and I love this blacked out version. I knew special forces guys and high level contractors that would wear these big giant flashy and expensive "tactical" watches; 6 months into their deployment it would be broke. This watch has been through everything. I ordered another one now that I am out of the Army, and I plan on keeping this next one for years to come. The only reason I ordered another one is that I drove over the old watch with a humvee (accidentally). The watch still worked! But it had a broken screen. I would recommend this watch to anyone who needs a true military spec/tactical style watch. This is without a doubt, the best watch I have ever owned.

5.0 out of 5 stars RUGGED watch!, July 1, 2010
I've been abusing my Casio G-force military concept watch for about 2 months now and it still looks and performs just as the day I bought it. Some of the activities I've done while wearing this watch include: swimming in a pool treated with chlorine, car washes, surfing in saltwater, playing softball, and the list goes on. Not only is this watch extremely durable, but it also has killer looks. I really love the simple, flat black band and the black screen with orange/red numbers. Although a bit pricey for my taste, I am very satisfied with this product and I do believe it is worth EVERY penny.