Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Jessy Lanza Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Luxury Beauty The Baby Store Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Cash Back Offer DrThorne DrThorne DrThorne  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Outdoor Recreation SnS

on October 23, 2010
FORM:
AS so many other competent reviewers have stated, this is one tough and classy tactical watch. In fact, the G-shock watches are the preferred watches among Marine Corps Infantry, MARSOC, SEAL and SF guys (NOT the brand that claims to be the "official" issue for those underwater elite fellas). THAT brand seems cool, until the glowy pieces come detached and wander around in the housing. Not good.

This one won't have that problem and it will still provide you with a low-profile, abusable time-piece with the functions you need to accomplish your assigned mission.

I bought this for timing things that needed to be timed with a stop watch and countdown timer :D, and that wouldn't stand out like a sore thumb as "tacticool" or like a wannabe aviator.

It's not only low-profile in its color scheme, but in its physical stature as well. Not every tough guy has wrists like Goliath, but they still need a big man's watch. This meets the need. It doesn't look like you've got a kitchen timer strapped to your paw, but it still looks rugged.

It's classy enough to wear out in town with a button-down and slacks, and may even snag you a few compliments from folks who notice watches. The black ion coating on the buckle, buttons and screws only add to the sleek look.

FUNCTION:
The watch performs as described. It's water resistant to 20 bars (200m) which is good enough for any military operation including diving not requiring helium gas.

It's shock and dust proof with a sturdier band than it's civilian counterpart.

The watch features 12 or 24-hour selectable time formats, day/month/date, daily and date-specific alarms (month & day) so you won't forget that important meeting (or you anniversary!), and an optional hourly beep. Other options include a full stopwatch with multi-lap function and countdown timer with 1-second intervals and optional auto-restart.

One very helpful feature is that the current time is displayed in both the timer and stopwatch functions so there's no need to switch back and forth.

The one function missing is that you cannot silence the button-beep. For a tactical/"stealth" watch this is a critical oversight on Casio's part. You can manually short-circuit it with the back off, but you will lose all audible alarm functions in doing so. Not good.

Some reviewers have mentioned that the watch is difficult to read. This is subjective. I have had no significant difficulties reading the time. If it's in a low-light situation, simply pressing the back-light button offers an instant remedy. It's unfortunate that the display is advertised as "backlit". It is not. It is simply an inverted or negative LCD display on an orange-ish plate. So instead of black numbers on a grey plate, you have the whole screen liquid black, EXCEPT for the digits, which show on a rust-colored plate vice the typical grey. And the light button is blue, not red. This is the typical color for a watch light, but it's not made explicit in the product description. A red light would have been cooler and more "tactical", but it's functional in its current iteration.

PERSONAL CONCLUSION:
I own numerous military "Squad leader" or "traditional" watches (Wenger, etc) with the analog faces and classic features. I also own numerous quality brand sports and bracelet watches (Seiko, Citizen, Bulova). Since buying this watch, I've worn none of them. It is as functional, comfortable, low-profile, tactical and classy I could want a timepiece to be. I've even worn this for nights out in town, well-dressed. It's full of retro-geek meets tough-guy chic. I might not wear it to the opera...but then again, I just might...
22 comments|98 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 20, 2009
G-Shock watches speak for themselves. My last G-shock unfortunately had a broken strap and since it was purchased in Japan, good luck with finding parts for it. I would agree with another reviewer that the "adjust" button is harder to press, but that's probably because Casio doesn't want you to accidentally hit that button. All the other 3 buttons protrude a bit more, and you don't have to use your nails to push down. The back lit is blue, and it's easy to read. Overall you can't complain about the build quality of the watch. The strap feels extremely comfortable, and the watch doesn't feel bulky at all. I have a pretty thin wrist and it fits me pretty well.
on August 25, 2013
I was looking for a G-Shock because I knew they were tough, waterproof (sorry, 'resistant') and dependable. I also knew that they were in many cases bulky and heavy. Coming across this watch I realised I could have a compromise, but I didn't fully appreciate how great a watch I was purchasing until it arrived.

First of all, it looks even better than in the photos you'll find online. I have quite thin wrists, so a big watch looks out of place and slightly gaudy on me. The understated badassery of this watch is something that is best conveyed in person, so take the plunge! I'm a big fan of the minimalist design, and I really like the fact that this watch will never clash with anything I'm wearing. That makes it versatile, and an easy choice for any combination of clothes from gym wear to formal.

The majority of negative reviews on this product are people whinging about not being able to see the time... If you have eyes in your head, you will have no issues reading the face. I like the fact that the face isn't viewable to others, to the point where the face looks all but blacked out from a distance. I also like that the numbers are light on dark, rather than vice-versa. The functionality isn't impaired at all, so don't be put off by complaints from a myopic few.

I've never bothered to write a review for a product before, but I felt compelled to in this case just on the chance that there was someone still umming and ahhing about the watch. Buy this bad boy and try to go a day of wearing it (outside you hermit) without a compliment or a jealous glance!
on June 11, 2014
This is a special edition of the beloved 5600 series model of G Shock watches. I love everything about this watch, all the features, and the classic look to it is also super nice. The black board with copper lettering is also very nice with the small inconvenience of it not being very visible at times. Specially under poor lighting or if sunlight is shinning right on the watch itself, it causes a strong glare and mixed with the black board it can make it for a blurred rendering of the lettering. Outside of that, this watch will be with you until the bitter end.
on January 1, 2010
I recently purchased this watch after a bit of deliberation (wasn't sure about the negative display being "ok" to read in daily use). All I can comment is, yes, it is more difficult to read than a traditional positive display, but not so difficult as to become a nuisance once you are accustomed to it. It was made for a certain "look" as far as styling and it achieves that look quite well. The EL backlight allows for easy viewing if the lighting is low or pitch black when looking for the time.
Casio build quality is always excellent for such inexpensive products, and just knowing this watch is built to take abuse and is water resistant is good peace of mind. I've had G-shocks that are over 14 years old still going strong----the only maintenance being battery changes and pressure testing to ensure continued water resist.
Buy one with confidence, and the bonus is, the military "stealth" treatment looks pretty cool!
on July 3, 2015
Great watch, but one month later, the screen is fogged up on the inside for lack of a better description? Nearly unreadable now. Will be contacting customer service and asking for a replacement or refund.
on July 9, 2013
This is my 2nd G-shock watch. I wore the last one for nearly 10 years straight. I got bored with it and tried to destroy it to justify buying this one. Impossible. You can't kill 'em.

What i love about this one is the black face, the slim profile, the 24-hour military time format, and the built-in stopwatch.

I can wear it with T-shirts and jeans. I can wear it with a dress shirt. And I always wear it to the gym.

Hell, it's waterproof, so I could even wear it in the shower or pool if I forget to take it off.

It's rugged and class, lightweight but indestructible. Perfect for the well-dressed gear nerd.
on May 20, 2011
I really like this watch but as the title suggests the display is dark. There is definitely some practicality to the darker, inverted color display. Since the darker the display the darker the entire profile of the watch as a whole. There is also the "cool" factor of the display. However, it was hard for me to read in some situations when the lighting was not even that low. So I had to constantly use the light to see any information I wanted off the watch. For some this may be a deal breaker.

Luckily I still find the watch to be great. The band is heartier than the GWM counterpart. It's a modestly sized watch which looks good, is durable and has great functionality.

I would recommend this watch as long as you don't mind hitting the light button a little more often.
on January 19, 2016
As a fan of many g-shock watches, this one is very cool. It has a dark, "negative" dial like many other g-shocks. However, the digits on the dial of this one have a reddish-tint to them (it is supposed to be a military 'stealth' model after all). The reddish digits give it even more of a stealth look than normal for a negative dial watch. The buttons are a shiny black, which is a nice touch. And the strap is wider than on other g-shock "square" watches of similar case size. All-in-all, a very cool watch and a good value! This one does have a battery that will need to be replaced every 2-3 years or so, but well worth it if you don't mind doing that.
on May 2, 2016
I'm not sure if it's a design flaw or what but the 'Adjust' button is recessed pretty badly. At first i thought it was done purposely so that you wouldn't accidentally be hitting the button from time to time. Now i'm starting to think it's a flaw which is pretty frustrating based on the price watch goes for.

I attached a photo that shows the upper-left button barely visible relative to the lower left.

Update:
Turns out the button is designed like that. I'm not happy about it but still a pretty cool watch. However overpriced at $90
review image