4.0 out of 5 stars Great looking watch, most comfortable Casio band ever!, February 2, 2013
jcazz (Indianapolis, IN United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: G-Shock GLS100-5 G-Lide Series Digital Watch - Brown [Watch] Casio (Watch)
This is my 11th Casio watch and my 7th from the G-Shock family. Like all my other Gs, the fit and finish on this watch is very nice. Functionality-wise it's very similar to many other G-Shocks; so much so that if you've had one for a while (like the DW6600 or especially the G9000) you'll know how pretty much everything works out of the box.

The GLS100 features: 12H/24H time, two 1000-hour 1/100th stop watches, a 24-hour countdown timer (with auto-repeat), world-time mode, 4 alarms plus a snooze alarm, 20BAR (200M) water resistance, and a low temperature LCD which is rated to -20C/-4F. It also has an inverted display and uses two LEDs in the 5 & 7 o'clock positions to illuminate the screen.

Some of the things I like specifically about this watch.

* The band is nylon on the front and a type of suede material on the back. It is - without a doubt - the most comfortable strap I've ever had come on a G-Shock. It's not a thin, wimpy nylon either; it's quilted and there is some type of padding between the front & back pieces. It gives it a very substantial feel, and it's incredibly comfortable on the wrist.

* The color (for the GLS100-5) is unique, but not garish. I usually wear only stainless steel or black watches - I don't go for loud or wild colors. Despite this being a brown watch, it's a very warm and unassuming brown. Almost like something you would see associated with something military. There is enough "bling" in the form of stainless steel screws that hold on the band & bezel, the clasp, and the grommets for each hole in the strap that the watch has some personality and isn't too drab.

* The lighting is provided by two, small LEDs at the 5 & 7 o'clock positions (there is no EL panel in this watch). I don't know if the screen's masking is blue, or if the LEDs are blue, but when lighted the face has a definite blue color. Surprisingly it actually works well with the brown color. The LEDs also do a great job illuminating the entire face of the watch.

* The display is very crisp and easy to read in bright to normal light. Because it's a reversed display it can get a little tricky to read at extreme angles or in very dim settings. I had no problems at night in a normally lit living room, but in bed with only a 40 watt bedside light turned on, it was difficult to see without using the backlight.

* It's a very large watch (a plus in my book, maybe a minus in yours). I'm a big guy and small watches look silly on me. I need something in the 45mm-and-up case size so it doesn't look like I'm wearing a kid's watch. I don't have calipers to measure this, but it's a big chunk of watch on my wrist. It's very light, so it doesn't feel like I have an anchor weighing my arm down, but there is no mistaking this for anything less than a big watch. It actually sits higher on my wrist than my Pathfinger PAG240, which I thought was a pretty thick watch.

* The buttons are textured and some of the biggest I've seen on a G-Shock. I don't think I'll ever have difficulty finding or hitting them while not looking directly at the watch. The button press is, however, completely normal (unlike some Mudman watches which can be very stiff).

So is there anything I don't like about the watch? No, not really. There are a couple of nits I can pick, but they don't detract enough from the awesome aspects of this watch to really bother me at all. A couple of my nit are:

* The reverse display looks amazing in bright light, but in dim light or at extreme angles it can be difficult-to-impossible to read. A quick glance at your watch in less-than-ideal circumstances may not be enough to get the time or check a timer. A prolonged look may be required.

* The band attaches in what looks like adapters you'll see on other Casio watches that let you thread on a NATO watch band. When I first looked at the GLS100 I thought it would be possible to switch out a NATO strap with the delivered hardware. However that doesn't appear to be the case. The nylon straps are attached to resin ends which match the watch's case. So they're not adapters, but look to be integral to attaching the included strap to the watch case. The plus is the spring bars are some of the largest, beefiest I've every seen on a watch; so I don't think there is any risk of ripping them out of the watch.

* The tip of the band has a leather (or faux-leather) cover. It looks nice, but makes the end just a little wider than the band. You have to exert more pressure or slightly bend the band to get the end through the catch. Once the tip has passed through the band is easily adjusted. You could look at this as a positive - if the strap every were to become unfastened it probably wouldn't just fall off your wrist before you noticed the watch flopping around.

The bottom line: If you're a fan of tough watches or Casio G-Shocks in particular, I think you'll really like this specimen. Even though I have plenty of watches, I'm very happy I went ahead and pulled the trigger on this G!

5.0 out of 5 stars Another Great G-Shock, August 29, 2013
I would highly recommend this G-Shock to anyone who owns or is thinking of owning a G-Shock. I have 24 G-Shocks and this is the perfect addition. Easy to read, looks great and the combination of a fabric band with the traditional G-Shock resin case is nice. I would have to agree with other reviewers that this watch band is really comfortable. Unlike some G-Shock the light on this G-Shock makes it easy to read in total darkness and I never had any difficulty reading the display on this watch at any angle.

4.0 out of 5 stars Typical Casio Quality, May 3, 2013
Upside: Wife loves the look. I like the look. Very comfortable too. Downside: No buzzer or vibrating battery as indicated on G-Shock website.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best watch I have ever purchased for someone else...., May 10, 2013
I bought this watch for my son for a Graduation gift from High School and Marine Corps Boot Camp. I like it so much I think I am going to purchase one for myself. I would for sure recommend this item to anyone. Thank you!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars I Love It, June 27, 2014
The Band the face the lights the colors!!! Perfect. alot of compliments on this watch. A must have if you need a brown watch

4.0 out of 5 stars Thank you, March 13, 2014
I like the product item and proud to have one for my collection. Thank you very much for the item!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Been wearing it for a year., February 2, 2014
Been wearing this watch for a year now and it has held up great. I use it while I fly and for work, and it does everything it says. It looks even better in person.

Only downsides I can say is that 1 its not Atomic, and it doesn't claim to be so I cant fault it, but ive had cheaper watches that had it and its a awesome feature. 2nd the band is cloth and if you sweat while you work as I do sometimes it will adsorb and get a little smelly, I juts hand wash it if it does.

4.0 out of 5 stars Well worth the cost, August 21, 2013
D. Blake (Decatur, GA USA) - See all my reviews
Very comfortable and "tactical" looking. The screen is readable even though it is a black out style. My only wish is that it was solar powered.

4.0 out of 5 stars comfortable watch, August 15, 2013
Comfortable and good color scheme. Ballistic nylon band makes it unique for g-shock watches. Hopefully they incorporate more styles with this band.

5.0 out of 5 stars great g-shock, July 17, 2013
I have quite a few g-shocks, this one isn't my favorite but as far as features and ruggedness, this watch is at par with any of the others.