on May 13, 2014
I have had a couple of "cheap" Android 7" tablets in the past and they were pretty bad. I was looking for a 10" tablet this time and could not believe the price. I thought it would maybe be another hardly-usable cheapo one. The reviews seemed to say otherwise on this tablet so I gave it a go.

The first thing I did was install SuperSU to take advantage of the fact that this tablet is rooted (woohoo!). Next I installed Android Assistant to take a look at the memory specs. My first readings were:
RAM 658MB used 365MB Free (numbers rounded)
ROM 205MB Used 583MB Free
SD Card Total: 11.44GB Free 11.42MB (This is actually internal storage, not an external SD)

I used a program called "System App Uninstaller" to remove thing that I didn't want/need and the ROM was then 189.5 used/599 free. Note that with this program and SuperSU you can remove the pre-installed apps.
NOTE: to people who think there is only 788MB for apps - this is the ROM where preinstalled apps are. The available space for apps with no extra installed SD card is 11.44GB.

The RAM is a little lacking compared to my phone (Samsung Note 2). It is using a fairly high percentage of it and it would have been nice if it had 2GB instead of 1. I am certainly not worried about running out of room for apps and it is refreshing to be able to move them to an SD card again (compared to Samsungs)

A couple of things this tablet lacks is GPS, camera LED light and the ability to have Live Wallpapers (Whaaat? Weird, if anyone knows how to use live wallpapers on this let me know!)In the display settings it gives a choice to do wallpapers but no live wallpapers no matter how many I have installed.

I saw a couple of complaints about the WiFi radio on this and I am up there with the complainers. The downloads seemed slow so I installed Speedtest. On a 25Mbps line I was getting 2.5Mbps download speed, pretty pathetic. My phone on WiFi in the exact same location was getting around 20Mbps.
At work on a 25Mbps line with the router about 7 feet away I am getting 15Mbps. An improvement but I am only 7 feet away! I wanted to use this tablet to stream Netflix in a bedroom fairly far away from the router at home. Update: Tested download speed again today, only 2.4Mbps so my other test was not just a fluke.

Update on WiFi: I was able to get full download speed with the tablet sitting at the desk where my router is located. A mere 8 feet away the speed was in half and down to 10% of full speed just in the next room about 20 feet away. I solved the issue with the very weak WiFi radio by getting a wireless repeater. The repeater is now about 5 feet away and I am getting 7.5Mbps which is an improvement and will make the tablet much more usable.

Other than that, the screen seems to have very good resolution and everything runs fairly smoothly. For the price it really is the best deal out there in my opinion. I am just hoping the WiFi stays usable.
1313 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on May 27, 2014
Well, this little machine seems to me to have the biggest bang for the buck. As a retired IT guy, yes I did punch cards, I've seen really nice technologies come and go, so I was expecting to be mildly disappointed. Much to my surprise the unit arrived fully charged with a couple of USB adapters, a small getting started manual and an extra protective screen saver to put on after the one which was preinstalled wears out. Having spent most of my career with Windows based systems this is my first Android machine. It just about blew me away. It was able to do everything that my trusty Dell notebook could do and do it much faster. The instructions directed me to the Google Play Store where I was able to DL several apps which installed flawlessly. What, no blue screen of death?
The screen resolution is very impressive and makes the viewing of content from You Tube to Netflix really astonishing. I was expecting huge lags from streaming video, but I was pleasede that even my home wi-fi could push content to it as fast as possible and the Matricom didn't even hickup.
I even loaded Skype and as soon as I had logged in I received a video chat from an old friend in Montana. The video streamed quickly and I didn't notice any lag between the video and the audio.
The keyboard that pops up is ok for small things, but I really appreciate the fact that I can plug in a USB keyboard, or link to a Bluetooth one, and type away for long tomes such as this review.
Now comes the only problem that I have had with the tablet. Since this comes with a nifty SD card slot I decided to punch in the only SD card that I had. It pushed into the slot and then disappeared. Yup, no spring back that I was expecting from a SD card tray. The tray was misalligned allowing me to shove the card into the belly of the tablet. Thinking that I should have noticed the misaligned card tray and considering how much I really love this little tablet, I sent an e-mail to Matricom's Help Desk/Technical Team. They responded in less than a day with a return authorization form that I printed out to send the item back. I did have to spring for shipping, but considering the cirecumstances I don't think I have a complaint. Their turn around was fantastic. I received an e-mail from their Help Desk telling me that they would recover my wayward SD card and that it wasn't a big deal. Then a very nice young man, who's name I failed to write down, called me. Yes, that's right he actually picked up a phone and called me. it seemed that my original unit could not be repaired so he wanted to send me a new unit with my SD card. His only problem was that he didn't have any black tablets in stock and he wanted to know if I'd take a white one! Ok, that's not what this old ID dog expected based on a career where dealing with a vendor was always a long, painful and difficult process. Sure white's fine with me!
So here I stumbled onto a really nice Android tablet that's fast, well set up with USB, HDMI, SD card slot that does everything I could expect.
Now here's what I didn't like about the unit. The power supply connecter is situated on the top of the unit next to the headphone jack. At first I thought the power connector looked a little flimsy, but I've used it now for weeks and when I have to recharge, which isn't something I have to do every day, and it hasn't failed.
Oh, yes one more thing. There's only one speaker on the back of the unit. I thought that it might not sound very good, but it's not bad for a single speaker. If I want to pump it through my stereo I can just plug into the headphone jack.
I have a very young tech savy friend who has an Apple iPad and she wanted to try my 'discount' tablet as she called it. After a couple of hours of her use she asked me the price. When I told her I got it for $144.00 she couldn't believe it. This little gem does almost anything that a normal person wants to do and it doesn't cost an arm and a leg. Oh, yes she's stopped sneering at my 'discount' tablet.
on April 21, 2014
This new Matricom 10.1" Tablet is OUTSTANDING!!! Jam packed full of the features you would expect to find in a product priced 3 or 4 times as much. The Android Jellybean 4.2 OS is already rooted however you will need to download SuperSU from the Google Play store in order to get the full capabilities of root access. Excellent Video streaming from the Quad Core processor. You cannot beat the warranty and service from the good people at Matricom. ONE YEAR FULL WARRANTY!!
77 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on April 21, 2014
The G-Tab iota 4.2.2 Jeallybean is sweet! 10.1" screen ~12GB internal storage and SD slot, who could ask for more? The wifi card on this is great and battery life so far has been excellent. would buy again! :D
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on May 13, 2014
Let me start by saying that this is my first tablet and I am not a device junkie. I don't have to have the latest and greatest and I won't buy something until it's been on the market a while, has many reviews, and is almost bug free. I did quite a bit of product research comparing features, memory, performance, and price before deciding on this brand that I had never heard of. I had lots of input from friends to just get an iPad (although I prefer Android) and Nexus, Kindle, as well as other brands. I wanted a tablet mostly for pleasure and be able to carry out a few work functions. I am a business analyst and often need to test out new features for my company's website and mobile platforms. I needed a tablet that would allow me to do that as well.

The bonus was that I got a great, clear picture when using inflight live TV when on business travel. I compared it to my co-worker's iPad and it was just as clear. My other co-worker put it through a series of tests to see if he thought it was worth it's price and he gave it an A- (because he is Apple loyal and couldn't bring himself to give it an A+). But in my book it's worth it's price and delivered more than I thought it would.
on May 7, 2014
The G-Tab Iota Quad Core Android Tablet PC is amazing, affordable, convenient and stylish. I really like all the features and fast loading ability!
on May 20, 2014
I was looking for a tablet for my mom. My mom wanted a tablet to play games and watch movies on Netflix. Based on multiple Amazon reviews, this was an excellent tablet. They were correct!!! This G-Tab is excellent for the price. The only thing that the tablet would need to improve is the camera. My mother is not going to be using the tablet to take pictures, therefore that was not an issue for us. Other than that, it is perfect. There were two screen protectors included. With Amazon Prime and got my tablet in two days. I highly recommend this Tablet.
on April 30, 2014
I have this for about 2 weeks now.
It is in my opinion the BEST tablet out there. I sold my Kindle Fire because it was too slow and the screens did not refresh fast like this does. I think it is the quad core processor that really makes this sing!
on May 15, 2014
I purchased this tablet as a present for my husband but now that I've been playing with it, I really don't want to give it to him :) I think I will have to get one for myself. For the price, you can't beat it! I'm sure you could get something "better" for a lot more money but this does all we need.
on April 28, 2014
The Tablet is fast able to play games and do banking.I am running a version of Boca Apps xbmc and all addons work great.Alble to watch sports and videos with ease.