5.0 out of 5 stars Sleek and Beautiful like a Mac
Fast, easy to set up and looks great with my Mac. Doesn't come with a bunch of junk preprogrammed like some of the WD. Not that I am down playing WD I think they make fine hardware but G-Tech is far more superior. I have two of these, great primary and back-up drives for all my photography. I would recommend to everyone especially if you have a Mac
Published 12 months ago by Jory Vander Galien

1.0 out of 5 stars Move along, these aren't the drives you're looking for.
Published 8 months ago by David A. Schultz

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

1.0 out of 5 stars Move along, these aren't the drives you're looking for., December 15, 2013
I have had no luck with this model. I had two of these in a row that had thrashing head movements after a couple of days of service. Seems coincidental, I'm sure. But when the "whoosh-whoosh" sounds happen and there is no commanding being done, then the unit is going bad. I had put my computer to sleep to make sure no background work to the drive was being done, and the thrashing sounds continued. Interestingly enough, the heads behaved well when commanded.

It seems that the problem with the heads is related to read/write errors. I went to back up what I had and did a comparison (2.5 days!) between drives. Half of the files had errors.

I would like to point out that my negative review is partially because of the unit, but also because of the company's policy (of lack thereof) for repairs outside of warranty. I called up G-Tech and asked about the noises; I was told the unit was about to fail. Also, I was told that if it were under warranty, to get an RMA. I mentioned that there was no warranty, and asked what kind of options did I have for non-warranty work. Short answer: "None, go buy another." Let me get this straight, the manufacturer says, "We can't or don't want to take any money to fix a current unit -- at any price." This has turned me off to this brand for a long time to come.

1.0 out of 5 stars BEWARE!!! You WILL lose your data if the power fuse blows!!!, June 1, 2014
As a small wedding photography business in the DC Metro area that does excess of 70 weddings yearly, we entrusted G-Technology to be rock solid. However, one of the basic requirements for a harddrive is non-existent on these devices. The way these drives are built is IF the power supply/fuse is blown, there is no way to retrieve your data because you can't get to your data. We are not speaking about a restore (which we have done with many other harddrives with data rescue tools). Many other storage devices have a safe way to getting power to the device, however G-Tech Raid Drives simply doesn't have an option. Once the fuse is blown, forget trying to retrieve that data that is perfectly safe on the device, you now have a brick.

Our Story:

Our workflow has been decent as we have a triple redundancy system that involves our ingest and editing phase (copying to dropbox (2TB), and copying to two local resources (iMac -3TB) and external (G-Tech 4TB). We copy locally and to external devices as temporary storage because we edit in the cloud from several devices with Lightroom. After 3 months, we use CCC to stagger copy and move files to another G-Tech G-Raid 8TB, which is reviewed twice a year and we begin purging items from local harddrives and cloud as needed. When attempting to boot up the 8TB in January of this year, the drive would not boot up. We ordered two new power supplies from G-Tech after investigating it on our end and those did not work as well. Three calls to tech support indicated that if the fuse was blown, they would only replace the drive and that there was nothing that could be done for data because the drives are built in a way where you can't get the data in the event of a power failure!

While I am fine with returning it and getting a new drive, the drive has over half a million images taken from 2010 - 2013 and our thought is that the data is fine, the drive power fuse is blown/and no longer good. While we would love a new drive, we are more interested in getting power to the 8TB GTech Graid device so that we can retrieve information on it. We are not necessarily concerned with the wedding projects, but we did have some company information and a few events that were done at our facilities that would be nice to have for our media campaigns.

Simply put, this company and devices, while advertising their product as one of the industries most durable and reliable devices in the storage arena simply falls short by a simple blown fuse that most drives have mechanisms for either replacing or getting power to the device through a raid or other means.

For everyone that is considering purchasing a G-Tech device, JUST KNOW THAT IF YOU HAVE A POWER FAILURE ON ANY DEVICE FROM THEM, YOU HAVE A BRICK... NO DIRECT CONNECT OR SATA CONNECTIONS. YOU WILL LOSE YOUR INFORMATION FOREVER (according to G-Tech).

We will never purchase another G-Tech Device... ever.

We have learned a valuable lesson and we are quite happy that we have finished all 2010 - 2013 wedding projects or we would be in court right now. In no way will we ever endorse G-Tech again nor would we purchase these products again.

3.0 out of 5 stars They are great when they're NEW but after a year of heavy ..., July 2, 2014
I've seen many of these units come across my desk as a working Digital Asset Manager for VFX. They are great when they're NEW but after a year of heavy use, they can start to clink, whoosh, and unmount unpredictably. If you are so unlucky as to have one of these brick on you, and you're outside of warranty, buy yourself an LVIEW DUAL DOCK HARDDRIVE CLONER and dig those harddrives out. You can still get the data off if you get the drives out of the enclosure.

Also, this is NOT a long term solution to data storage. Think of it as a big fat temporary harddrive that sits on your desk but doesn't take well to being moved around.

For heavy use, go with a proper NAS device like a QNAP or a thunderbolt-enabled Pegasus enclosure. And please, for the love of God, use CRASHPLAN or AMAZON CLOUD to store your data elsewhere too.

1.0 out of 5 stars WORST PRODUCT EVER, March 18, 2014
This review is from: G-Technology G-RAID 4TB Dual External Hard Drive with USB 3.0, Firewire 400, Firewire 800 Interfaces and RAID 0 (0G02484) (Personal Computers)
I have NEVER posted a review in Amazon but I NEED to do it now. A friend recommended this brand and I read some reviews BUT after less than a month in use I got an error message and basically the disk decided to stop working. I lost a $3,000 course photo folder, not to mention my iMac now suddenly turns off every once in a while out of nothing (when after formatting the disk to give it a second chance I am trying to put info into it again). I could have never spent more money in such a horrible bad functioning product! Do not buy or at least now from this seller!

5.0 out of 5 stars Sleek and Beautiful like a Mac, August 22, 2013

1.0 out of 5 stars Product Defective, February 19, 2014
This product turned out to be nothing more than a paperweight, whereas I needed it for my business to store thousands of photos from photoshoots we do. It doesn't help when it doesn't mount to my hard drive.

3.0 out of 5 stars meh, January 29, 2014
it does what it says. I primary keep my iTunes on the drive. and it lags often enough that iTunes can't save to it.

no issues with loosing data. but more app restarts then I like

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Drive, Faulty USB 3.0 Cable causing random unmounting, November 1, 2013
I've been using G-Raid drives for the past 6 years professionally for video and visual effects work with only one power supply going bad (Which G-Tech promptly replaced). This was the first drive that exhibited random dismounting and sometimes refused to mount all together via USB 3.0. After testing cross platform (WIN 8 with Mac Drive Pro, OSX 10.6.8) with all the supplied cables, I've isolated it to a bad USB 3.0 cable.

Upon physically checking the USB 3.0 A-Male plug, it looks like the "GND_DRAIN" prong was bent out of alignment with the rest of the pins. When I applied pressure on the plug toward the direction of the pin the drive would mount, then would dismount when I let go. Quick fix was to bend the pin back into alignment with a utility blade, but I'm planning to grab another USB 3.0 cable as a backup.

So far it's been working like a champ.

1.0 out of 5 stars G-Tech drive fails, November 23, 2013
It failed less than one week after we bought it and had to be returned. This has not been true with other G-tech drives in the past.

1.0 out of 5 stars internal crunch sound and failure on third day, August 18, 2013
Started out great--easy usage with my mac, no hassles. Third day of use and it starts ejecting itself, crunching inside. POS goes back. No replacement option on this, so if I was willing to take another chance on another copy, can't do it. Have to wait for the return to be received to get my refund, so I can buy some other brand.

Buyer beware. Poor product, poor handling of trouble by amazon.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›