5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect Compact Drive for Photos & Video
I'm a long-term traveler who works on the road, and these drives are perfect. About the size of a stack of passports, they transfer data quickly to and from my 13" MacBook Pro. I have two of them. I use one for working with video, the other for photos and backups. They come with protective cases too.
Published on October 19, 2010 by M. Karsten

1.0 out of 5 stars Aple store replaced unit, same prolbem
They were very nice, no hassels about exchange. I had it for a month.
Old unit lost connection 6 times this week. New unit was plugged into
with power down. Booted iMac did not show drive and drive
light fluttered steadily. Unplugged it and it appeared after.

Ran full backup and few hours later unit lost connection with message
about...
Published on January 15, 2011 by paul h philippon

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect Compact Drive for Photos & Video, October 19, 2010
This review is from: G-Technology G-DRIVE mini 500GB 7200RPM Portable External Hard Drive, USB 2.0, Firewire 400, Firewire 800 Interfaces 0G01650 (Personal Computers)

4.0 out of 5 stars Best hard drive I have ever got!, August 24, 2011
First of anyone who has complained about it randomly disconnecting after using it for awhile it is because they most likely do not have enough energy going to it. I use the newest (2010) Mac book pro and I have no issues with this. Also some others have reviewed that it gets to hot, well yes it does but it is a heat sink the outside gets hot but the inside remains at a correct operating temperature.

Now on to my opinions. My first opinion is that it feels extremely sturdy as sturdy as a macbook does and it looks as good to. When using firewire 800 it transfers at a pleasing speed. I portioned my drive one for time machine and the other for all of my photography. I edit my photos from this drive because I get a quicker response in my program. The only issue I have is that 9 out of 10 times when you hit the power switch it will not read it but I just turn it off and on and it always connects the second time. the drive has never disconnected on me while in use. you really do not have to worry about this issue this drive is extremely reliable. Also If you do get this drive I advise that you get a Pelican 1020 casePelican 1020-027-100 Micro Case with Clear Lid and Carabineer (Yellow) . This case fits the drive as perfect as the packaging that it comes in its crazy there is also room for your wires of choice. With a rugged drive in a extremely rugged case you do not have to worry about breaking it. I highly recommend this drive to anyone who needs a drive.

4.0 out of 5 stars GDRIVE is as expected, December 20, 2010
I hear from the Geniuses at th Aple store the G-drive is one of the best things out there, good quality and sturdy... Happy with t so far, thanks and amazon had the best price online among the serious sellers...

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for Audio Engineers, July 3, 2012
I'm a recording/mixing engineer and I use this drive everyday. You can run intense sessions directly off the drive, and transfer speed makes large data seem more manageable.

Also good for videographers or other professionals dealing w/large file transfers and portability needs.

I plan to get a second one to use as a startup disk. Highly recommend this drive.

5.0 out of 5 stars I only get G-Drive units any more, November 23, 2011
I've been through more FW drives than I care to remember. When the G-Drives hit the scene, I saw that they had tackled the problems I'd experienced with all my previous drives. The G-Drives are more durable and their passive cooling makes for longer lasting circuit boards. SOme people are misguided by so called experts that say heat doesn't affect drives. That may or may not be true but the real value of the cooling pays off not on the drive but on the enclosures circuit board. That's the most troublesome part of any of these units. Ports fry and boards go bad long before the drives do.

1.0 out of 5 stars Aple store replaced unit, same prolbem, January 15, 2011
They were very nice, no hassels about exchange. I had it for a month.
Old unit lost connection 6 times this week. New unit was plugged into
with power down. Booted iMac did not show drive and drive
light fluttered steadily. Unplugged it and it appeared after.

Ran full backup and few hours later unit lost connection with message
about improperly dismounted drive.

Rebooting did not show drive. Reconnect and it's back. Another trip
to Aple store. I used to be Unix admin. I'm familiar with poor hardware.

5.0 out of 5 stars Consistent, Powerful, and Simple, May 18, 2012
Baze (Chicago, IL) - See all my reviews
I bought the G-Technology G-Drive 500GB Mini a couple days ago, because I had been looking for an external hard drive that would store my music, pictures, videos, and work files. I opened the box to notice a nicely packaged hard drive, complete with all the extras that were listed. I did not, however, expect this hard drive to be so easy to use.
Even though it's bus-powered, it did not drain my computer's energy so quickly- despite the fact that I was putting on thousands of files on it at a time. No, sir, this hard drive just smiled and did its job without any problems whatsoever. It's sitting next to me right now, and I can't hear a single thing from it.

I'd give it an A+ for quality, as the Oxford chip ranks amongst the highest in the industry, and the case seems well built and very attractive as well.
I'd give it an A+ for user friendliness, as I've had no problem hooking it up to my Mac and using it right away. No inconsistencies; it literally does what you want it to do: store stuff.
I'd give it an A+ for speed: quick. Very, very quick in writing files.

I can't find anything to complain about it, but I also should note that I do not use a PC, but rather a Mac; it's my understanding that the G-Tech mini drives are configured to operate right away with Macintosh computers. I believe, however, that they will be easy to configure with a PC, and the product includes a CD with information on how to easily configure the external hard drive to function with a PC.

5.0 out of 5 stars Buy the RIGHT 12V AC ADAPTER - You will likely need one!, February 6, 2012
DO NOT BUY THE SEAGATE WA-18G12U AC power adapter [12V 1.5A ~120-240v US plug] for G-Tech drives! You need a small pin diameter 12V AC converter.

This Seagate 12V AC adapter came up when Amazon was searched for an appropriate 12V AC Adapter for the G-Tech Mini 500 Gbyte portable drive. The pin is way TOO LARGE for G-TECH, at least twice too big in diameter. The G-Tech 12V AC Adapter on Amazon was $28, far too much to pay for a simple, single-purpose transformer.

Another $9 wasted. Like they say, the good thing about standards is that there are so many of them. One would think 12V DC would have just one size, right? WRONG.

BTW, my expert at Radio Shack says USB does not have enough AMPS for many portable drives, so you likely in fact need to buy a 12V AC adapter for LaCie, G-Tech etc. (DC voltages are stepped down to 5V inside the drive, 5V being USB voltage, but the problem is not the voltage, it is the AMPS! In other words, do not count on USB suppying enough POWER for this or other portable drives (volts x amps = watts).

I ended up buying into the AC adapter systen sold at Radio Shack for $22, with selectable voltage and interchangeable pins, and 1 AMP (important) capacity; you just select the correct "tip" to plug into your particular device (you get one tip free, in my case, the one I needed for G-Tech 12V). Brilliant. The perfect solution to "too many standards." F- me dead! I'm sure you can buy this system or similar from Amazon, but the problem is identifying the right "tips." Obviously, Amazon-sold devices need to list their power pin diameter in the Amazon details! Vendors out there listening? With this system, I can power many devices, focusing on getting the right AMP capacity instead.

Also, I did the conversion to NTFS on Win7 on this G-Tech to be able to use the drive with Windows, and was then able to write a folder and files to the drive in Win7. However, when I then brought the drive up on XP Pro, the drive showed up only in "Computer Management > Disk Management" as "Disk 1," XP would not assign a drive letter or display it in Windows Explorer.

The tech support at G-Tech is OUTSTANDING. They responded very quickly (and personally, actually providing the CSR's name!) and very professionally. They fixed the problem within one day. Too cool, and a 3-year warranty, how could you lose? I would not hesitate to deal with these people again. We have yet to see how good their drive is, however. The spec says it is definitely ruggedized, and my 1 Tbyte LaCie has gotten flakey of late.

The solution is to partition and format the drive from within XP Pro, then it will also work with Win7. Wierd, but a TRUE story. Maybe Microsoft has some extra "standards," too.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great portable,stylish and durable HDD, September 10, 2011
I ordered this to accompany my MBP on set when I am shooting videos. This has a FireWire 800 interface and a 7200rpm drive that makes editing and transferring footage fast and easy. It comes with a carrying case and the necessary connection cable, FW 800, etc. You don't need a seperate power cable as it draws from the connection port. This also has built in shock protection, just in case you drop it. Which I did one time. Not on the floor, but on my foot. And let me tell you this thing is well built. I still have the scar to prove it. LOL.

This was a little pricier per GB then most, because of the superb build and design and the FW800 connection. But, it was worth it. If you edit video or are concerned with fast transfer speeds this drive is an outstanding option. And it looks really good next to a MBP too!

1.0 out of 5 stars g drive mini, December 19, 2010
Fail to be mount after working for a few minutes. After trying on and off and when it's seems to work, it ejects itself randomly! Computer error said it's ejected improperly!