Customer Discussions > Metroid: Other M forum

G4 Review Was Pretty Unforgiving

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 31 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Aug 28, 2010 10:13:49 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 28, 2010 10:22:44 AM PDT
M. Morales says:
2 out of 5 was really harsh. What are your feelings on their review? Will you still purchase this game?

Some other harsh reviews.

Destructoid 6.5/10

Game Informer 6.25/10

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 28, 2010 10:22:32 AM PDT
M. Weekley says:
G4 is not the only harsh review out there that's for sure. It's got some good reviews too but one thing is for sure, this is not going to be a universally acclaimed Metroid game. I think the backbreaker was the focus on narrative and action rather than exploration. Nintendo had a great story going with the silent discovery storytelling approach. It appears they took a risk that violated the essence of Metroid this time around.

I'm still getting the game. I had a 20 promotional credit making this 30 and I am getting another one with this preorder.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 28, 2010 11:17:21 AM PDT
meganick says:
Reviews have been mixed so far. Other reputable sites and publications have given more positive reviews. IGN and Gamespot both gave this an 8.5. It seems like it's at least worth a rental.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 28, 2010 4:16:45 PM PDT
C. Dolan says:
They are just thick headed. They're the kind of critics who bash highly anticipated games for Wii no matter how good that game's going to be. They're so against the Wii and more in favor of 360 or PS3 games. Simpletons who're biased, that's all. You can't even call them professional editors. They're unappreciative morons.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 28, 2010 4:18:02 PM PDT
C. Dolan says:
It deserves more than just an 8.5 and a "rental."

Posted on Aug 28, 2010 6:06:14 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 28, 2010 6:09:28 PM PDT
P. V. says:
meganick says:
Reviews have been mixed so far. Other reputable sites and publications have given more positive reviews. IGN and Gamespot both gave this an 8.5. It seems like it's at least worth a rental.

Reputable? Please. The only difference between these people and regular joes like us is that these "reputable" sites and publications get paid to post their opinions. Their opinions are no more important than anyone else's.

Posted on Aug 28, 2010 7:25:24 PM PDT
M. Weekley says:
C. Dolan, have you even played it to make such a statement? How can you say a game deserves more than an 8.5 and the recommendation of a rental? Did you get an advance copy and play the game in its entirety?

I'm a huge Metroid fan and will be buying this game based on the massive enjoyment I've had with past Metroid games. That being said, the writing is on the wall that there were design choices that are creating a stir amongst other players out there. Whether or not a person is a professional 'reviewer', many of them are gamers who have an appreciation for the Metroid series. I've watched every Metroid game get solid scores up til this point. So why is it all of a sudden when the first Metroid game gets mixed reviews people blame the review system? Sounds like some are living in denial.

I think it's best people go in with no expectations. It sounds like that's the best chance to enjoy other m (based on what others are saying).

Posted on Aug 28, 2010 11:57:42 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 29, 2010 12:02:59 AM PDT
Reason says:
errr...

GameFan Magazine - 9.5/10
Wired - 9/10
Joystiq - 4.5/5
Worth Playing - 9/10
Famitsu Magazine - 9/9/8/9 for a total of 35/40
Nintendo Power - 8.5/10
IGN - 8.5/10
GameSpot - 8.5/10
Metroid-Database - 85%
Digital Chumps - 8.4/10
Eurogamer - 8/10
GiantBomb - 4/5
GamePro - 4/5
Kotaku - Text, no score, but very positive.
N-Sider - Text, no score, but very positive.

Reviews are opinions but 50-60% is definitely not the norm for Metroid Other M.
So why would anyone who finds the game interesting fixate on the outliers?
I preordered days ago and a trio of bad reviews does nothing to my desire to play.

Posted on Aug 29, 2010 1:00:53 AM PDT
GhostSquad57 says:
I stopped caring what critic's said a while ago.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 29, 2010 6:16:51 AM PDT
M. Weekley says:
1up.com had lackluster things to say about it. Gave it a B- but if you read the review it's not super great. Nintendo fansite gonintendo gave it a 7.2.

Overall I agree with your post. I think the big difference is people are used to universal acclaim and scores in the 90's. Metroid tends to be held to a higher standard which is why there is an adverse reaction. Getting 80-85 averages in score isn't bad at all, but it is noteworthy when you consider Metroids usually get high marks. It reminds me of Super Mario Sunshine a few years ago. A great game, but not as great as other Mario games.

I think the reason people care about the 'outliers' is because this is the first time Metroid had outliers.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 29, 2010 9:49:42 AM PDT
So did I! Halo ODST received high marks,but I thought it was an OK game that did not deserve the high marks that it did receive! I try and rent first to make my decision before purchase. I always remind myself that reviews are biased opinions that may be totally different than my own.

Posted on Aug 29, 2010 10:13:20 AM PDT
Travis Boyer says:
I don't mean to hate but G4 is full of idiots and I never watch them. Years ago they made a bunch of ill informed comments throughout the E3 conferences one year and ever since then I have completely ignored them. It's too obvious that the hosts don't actually play games since their comments are clearly being read from cue cards. It's a shame because I really want a video gaming tv channel, but G4 is too much fail for me.

Whether they are right or wrong I have no idea, all I know is that they are absolutely the last place I would look for an opinion.

Craig Harris, on the other hand, is a hardcore gamer and has been pumping out high quality reviews for many years. Although he has been scoring some games a little high (10 for Super Mario Galaxy 2), my personal score tends to be within a point of his and as such this game will probably be a 7.5-9.5 on my scale which means I should feel confident in my purchase as it should still be a good game.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 29, 2010 11:47:26 PM PDT
Reason says:
Critics have different priorities from gamers.
They are trying to rank games on some kind of scale.
For me, it is a binary decision: to play or not to play.
All I know about the game makes it a play in my book.

If you play Other M and it isn't junk to you does that mean you're loco or G4 is?
I value my opinion more, so after I play it I'll know whether to laugh when anyone refers me to a future G4 review.
In other words, this is a defining moment for their credibility. I'd never heard of them before so they got their 15 minutes.
However, no supposedly professional outlet that reviews games based on preconceived agendas is worth my time.

Posted on Aug 30, 2010 2:32:48 PM PDT
I already have mine pre-ordered and I don't regret it. My favorite game of all time (Ogre Battle) only got a 2.93/5 from Nintendo Power and a 7.87 from EGM. That was a SNES game and I still play it to this day. If 1-Up was still EGM and had those same reviewers that Other M score would have me more skittish than G4 and those 2 other sites I haven't even heard of.

Fact remains that I'm a hardcore Metroid fan and I'm super excited to see how they mix 2-D gameplay with 2.5 and 3-D gameplay. I'm not a huge Team Ninja fan as I felt the difficulty they put into the Ninja Gaiden series was more the computer being cheap than actually needing to play the game to get the skill needed to advance. But I was also scared how Retro would ruin my beloved 2-D game franchise by turning it into a 3-D FPS. Now I say Metroid Prime was one of the best games I've ever played and I think it took more skill to beat that game than Ninja Gaiden.

So I'll reserve my judgement till I actually play the game. If it sucks, then so be it ...but I've already proved to myself I don't need a reviewer's opinion to know what I find fun and what I don't. Plus I'd rather trust people who spent their own money on the game rather than someone who got it for free and reviewed it because it's their job.

Posted on Aug 30, 2010 8:02:35 PM PDT
It has almost entirely positive reviews -

G4 doesn't count as it's one of the most worthless reviews posted in a LONG time buy a woman who is PMS'ing - watch the videos or read it....it has nothing to do with the game. Just a woman crying sexism. It's generating tons of controversy.

Game Informer always sucks.

Destructoid is usually good but no game is perfect - I respect their opinion.

Some of the more reputable sites have rated it VERY highly though. Truly one of the more polarizing games of this gen.

Posted on Aug 30, 2010 10:17:32 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 30, 2010 10:17:53 PM PDT
K. Wendt says:
Some of the sites wouldn't know a good game if it bit them, though and praise things that probably shouldn't be. For example, IGN was singing Kinect's praises after the disaster that was the Microsoft E3 press conference...case in point...so I typically ignore them. I will read reviews by real gamers, not some idiot who gets paid to do it. However, I usually just rent and make my own interpretation. I have some misgivings, but I'm still going to try it after I complete the games I'm working on first. That's going to take a while, though...

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 31, 2010 1:24:20 AM PDT
Sloopydrew says:
They called the recent Super Mario Galaxy 2 one of the best games of all time. So no, C. Dolan, they aren't Wii haters. They just hated Other M. And rightfully so. The game is total garbage, outside of maybe the last 45 minutes of gameplay.

Posted on Aug 31, 2010 7:31:35 AM PDT
Destructiod are the biggest trolls on the internet. Case in point: Assassins Creed 2 a 45 and Final Fantasy XIII a 40. Also they were caught lying about FF 13's ending, when it was proved that they never reached the end of the game

Also Norton lists the site as a caution. Looks like there have been "computer threats".

Good bye creditability.

Posted on Aug 31, 2010 11:31:39 AM PDT
how would you even know the game is total garbage Sloopydrew?

By the time you wrote your post there is no way you could both have your hands on the game and played all the way through it unless you work for a review site that got an advance copy of the game

Posted on Sep 1, 2010 11:59:28 AM PDT
Ryan G says:
having played metroid other m i agree with x plays review. team ninja and nintendo made many bad decisions in this game.

Posted on Sep 2, 2010 7:41:34 AM PDT
GarionOrb says:
G4's review was overly harsh, but not completely wrong. I think the girl took Samus' personality a bit too seriously, and just read into it too much. As far as gameplay, they were right on the money. This is just an average game. Good enough to play to the end, but easily the worst in the Metroid series.

Posted on Sep 2, 2010 10:13:31 AM PDT
G4? Isn't that the network that shows Cops 24/7?

Posted on Sep 2, 2010 11:23:13 AM PDT
fgasfs says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Sep 2, 2010 1:26:56 PM PDT
Sam Marino says:
How could you say that?!

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 2, 2010 7:03:59 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 2, 2010 7:04:34 PM PDT
K. Wendt says:
@Mama...Not quite 24/7, but yea...shows Cops a lot.

@Frank J. Marino...not everyone likes Metroid.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Metroid: Other M forum
Participants:  22
Total posts:  31
Initial post:  Aug 28, 2010
Latest post:  Feb 8, 2011

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Metroid: Other M
Metroid: Other M by Nintendo (Nintendo Wii)
3.7 out of 5 stars (407)