4.0 out of 5 stars A great piece of hardware, with some major flaws
Published on May 23, 2011 by _Aurel_

3.0 out of 5 stars A Mixed, Mixed Bag
Times like this, I wish that the Amazon rating system was out of 10 rather than out of 5. I feel this is more of a 3.5/5 than anything else, but that being said, I'd like to provide a bit of insight, having owned this computer for about a month-and-a-half now.

Published on January 7, 2012 by Informer3X

4.0 out of 5 stars A great piece of hardware, with some major flaws, May 23, 2011
This review is from: ASUS G53SW-XA1 Republic of Gamers 15.6-Inch Gaming Laptop (Personal Computers)
I've had this computer for about 3 days, and my feelings on it went from wanting to defenestrate it, to pure love. For starters, I ordered a separate 256GB corsair solid state drive so I can have fast boot and load times for the OS and apps. Now, installing an additional hard drive in most laptops requires mostly just removing the bottom plate, but not for this laptop. With this laptop, I had to remove the keyboard by prying it out and then carefully unlatching the connectors from the computer. Then, I had to remove the the piece with the touch pad and unscrew a set of screws that are holding the bottom plate in. Then, I'm finally able to remove the hard drive cover underneath the laptop after the last bit. Why did Asus have to make such a trivial thing so complicated?

Anyways, after I finally got to the hard drive bay I found out that the second empty bay has no bracket to hold a hard drive in. I looked online and nobody was selling them. Yes, that's right: this computer IS ADVERTISED as having the capability of storing an additional hard drive, but the company is not including or even selling any bracket to allow me to do it! I couldn't find them anywhere! So luckily, my drive was a solid state, with no moving parts. What I ended up doing is taping some business cards underneath the solid state drive and letting it rest evenly on those, and then folding one of them between the space that the drive and the bay would occupy so that it doesn't wiggle around. No issues so far, I'm pretty furious that I'm being put in this situation, and I'm definitely giving Asus a call and demanding that they ship or sell an extra bracket to me. There is absolutely no reason at all why I have to do this.

Lastly, once I got everything in place I decided to use the recovery cd's that I created in the beginning to reformate/unpartitian the primary drive and install windows 7 on the solid state drive... but guess what? The recovery cd's do not have the capability of reformatting. What I had to do was hunt down an .iso of windows and burn that to a disk, then use it as my windows install... because the recovery cd is not a 'true' windows. I don't understand why Asus doesn't include a generic windows dvd since, you know, I PAID for the licence and it costs them next to nothing. They did include a driver CD, which is generous.

So that's all the bad stuff out of the way. Once I got everything up and running and with the right setup, things got much better. For starters, the performance on this thing is top-notch. With a solid state drive as the main OS, this laptop boots up in 20 seconds. It handles everything I throw at it with ease. I have the laptop outputting to a second 24 inch monitor as an expanded desktop and it runs starcraft at full resolution and mostly high settings at around 40-60 fps. Best of all, it doesn't 'downclock' to cool down like most of the laptops out there do. The reason for this is an extremely efficient cooling system in the back that blows air out one vent and sucks in air at the other. This keeps things relatively stable, and quiet. I'm not waking up my GF while I game on starcraft after she goes to sleep, and in comparison the Envy 17 I had and returned before this (which cost a beefy 2300) sounded like a jet engine.

This is a top-notch gaming rig, and I'm very happy with it so far. Would I recommend to anyone else? Well, it depends. If you're going to be happy with the measly 500GB of storage, then yes. However, if you want to do what I did or install a larger capacity hard drive, then I recommend you tread lightly or have a certified technician do it for you.

5.0 out of 5 stars Greate laptop for small money, December 29, 2011
Excellent laptop, people who want to play games, but don't like to spend 1000$ +

It was problems with magnetic proximity switch it (is remain magnetized, so when you push start button nothing happened). Basicly it think's that Lid is still closed and preventing laptop from starting (this is Asus safety measures).
For people who are not advanced in PC hardware it can be a real chalenge. Cause they can think that laptop is not working and try to return it. Don't do it please... The laptop is ok, there are no any hardware problem.
This is my solution (I am assembling PC's since 1996):
you just simply need to demagnetize the Sensore/switch:
- Keep the system off, lid should be open and the battery in. It doesn't matter if the power cord is plugged in or not but its better if it is plugged in;
- Ok now take a paper and put it on the palm-rest to the lower right side from the touch pad. To give you an idea, this is a 2 inch x 2 inch spot under the small sticker that says "New Revision Certified Design" and lies between the touch pad and the large sticker that shows system specs and features. Furthermore this is the very spot where the magnet in the LCD lid (located to the right side of the camera) comes in contact/proximity when the lid is closed;
- Now take a light magnet with medium intensity, shouldn't be too strong or big and rub it in circles on that 2 x 2 inch square spot where you have placed the paper(The paper is only optional but it is recommended as it would save the palm-rest from scratches if any). Do this for a minute or two.
- Press the power button and voilà! You are done.

Happy New Year and Kind Regards

5.0 out of 5 stars Best laptop I've ever owned, December 21, 2011
For me the laptop came and is working flawless. No power button issues or any problems for that matter. I can play Skyrim on high settings, and I'm blown away by the screen. 1080p on a 15inch looks very very nice. I don't normally write reviews but I had to on this item since it seems to be getting bashed pretty badly. I noticed the negative reviews before my purchase but took my chances based on the fact that all Asus motherboards I've bought were always top notch products. Needless to say at $900 you really can't get a better or a more powerful laptop. You have the assurance of buying from Amazon so if you got a faulty one, you can always return or exchange. Asus also comes with a one year accidental warranty which I thought was a nice touch since my last laptop from hp was ruined when my wife's friend spilled wine all over the keyboard..

For anyone who's on the fence about this laptop, I would say go for it. Chances are there are many who's bought this laptop and has a had no problems like me. The laptop is cool to the touch and the construction is very sturdy. The back cooling system looks great and works even better. I'm at lvl35 with my bow/thief in skyrim, and it's always so amazing to me that such a small little machine can run it so smoothly.

5.0 out of 5 stars FIX POWER BUTTON YOURSELF!! Great Computer, December 23, 2011
We all know this is an incredible buy for the price, except for the reviews. I looked into this machine long and hard before I purchased it. Many from many vendors haved arrived "doa" and also had issues with the power button. Well believe it or not you can fix it yourself in about 5 seconds, all you have to do is swipe a magnet over the palmrest area (I go from right to left across the bottom) and wham your laptop WILL turn on. I recieved this yesterday as many had, it would not power on, let it charge for a bit, and tried the button some more, still didnt work, then tried the magnet trick and it has been working great ever since. There is a video on youtube of someone doing this as well if you need further assistance. Further what is actually happening is a sensor that is supposed to sense the lid closing is too strong (it is magnetic) it can over time while sitting build up a "magnetic charge" and thinks the lid is closed when it is not, by using a magnet you are resetting the switch. Should you have to do this? No, but at the price I dont find it to be an issue (mine has been working fine since the initial swipe of the magnet, ie the power button has been working, and if it stops in the future I know to keep a magnet handy).

3.0 out of 5 stars A Mixed, Mixed Bag, January 7, 2012

The first thing anyone will probably notice about the notebook is its design. It's a sleek, matte black, arguably minimalist and perhaps even understated. Yes, I've had people compare it to a stealth fighter, but I personally enjoy the low profile, so to speak. It's no where near as flashy as Dell's Alienware, but it's not supposed to be. On the other hand, yes, it is large, about the size of a typical 17-inch laptop. It's probably a tight squeeze with most 17" cases--as a note, I managed to squeeze it into Targus's 15" case, but I have yet to ascertain how. Be aware that it is substantially thicker in the rear where the vents are located than in the front.

Concerning hardware, the laptop is top-of-the-line, with a Sandy Bridge i7 Quad-Core processor, 6 GB of RAM (or 8 GB in some models), a 7200 RPM 500 GB hard drive, and a GTX 460M, plus a 1080p screen, all of which is denoted in the description. A few notes on this: there are four RAM slots, two of which will be filled (with either 3 GB or 4 GB modules), so you can take advantage of the incredibly low RAM prices and add up to (presumably) 24 GB of RAM. Be advised though, the BIOS is notoriously finicky, so your mile WILL vary. On the plus side, the laptop can accommodate a second hard drive (mine came with a second hard drive mount pre-installed into the second hard drive bay; apparently some others have not). Apart from that, the monitor is acceptable, though I had to toy with the settings a little to get the colors right.

If benchmarks mean anything to you, you can comment and I'll respond to you personally; I don't feel like cluttering this review up with dozens of numbers. Suffice to say, the processor is *almost* on par with the first-gen desktop i7 920, and it'll tackle most any calculation you throw at it, including sophisticated systems modeling with MATLAB. The GPU is excellent, if an energy hog, and it is very good for gaming, even at 1080p resolution; you should be able to play on "high settings" with easy, and reasonable anti-aliasing, anisotropic filtering, etc. It also accelerates all variety of media processing, whether conversion, decoding, and editing. I've found it to be acceptable for rendering, but not optimal; however, it can be overclocked by around 20-25% with no stability issues, quite the feat. RAM and hard drive, well, that's up to what you do, but I've found them both adequate.

The chiclet keyboard takes some getting used to, and it may feel crammed if you have big hands/fingers, but the backlighting is nice. I found the lack of dedicated volume controls problematic, but not a deal-breaker. In other news, there's a single ethernet port, a VGA and HDMI output, three USB 2.0 and one USB 3.0, a mic and headphone jack, and a card reader. Again, minimalist, but I haven't found myself desiring more. The webcam is surprisingly high-quality, on par with Logitech's mid-range models. The speakers are tinny and a bit of a disappointment. Sure, laptops aren't renowned for their audio quality, but it feels as if Asus's engineers didn't even make an attempt. You may also feel that the track-pad buttons are stiff, but it is not difficult to get used to. On the plus side, I'm actually amazed at how cool this stays, even when running the CPU and GPU at near 100% load.

Battery life is around three hours if the computer is kept to a minimal state (for typing or limited productivity work). It is around two hours if a number of intensive applications are running at once, and around one hour if gaming.

This alone, the laptop should easily qualify for four stars, perhaps even five. There are two significant barriers in the way:

1. The bloatware this laptop comes with could capsize an SSD, much less and HDD. It slows the computer down substantially if not removed, a process which takes at least an hour, if not more. And the restoration disks they ask you to burn still include the bloatware, not to mention taking up a half-dozen DVDs. I highly advise a fresh installation before doing anything else with the laptop, using the Windows install key found underneath the laptop. With just removing the bloatware, the underlying system is inherently unstable afterwards--a month-and-a-half in, I've experienced significant slow-downs, and am now running off of a second hard drive I installed, with a clean Windows installation. Which gets me to the next point:

2. Accessing any hardware on this laptop actually requires a teardown. Why, Asus? Every other laptop I've owned has an easily accessible hard drive and RAM; just flip over the laptop, undo one or two screws, and voila, you can swap the hard drive or change the RAM. For this one, you have to remove the keyboard and the panel with the trackpad, undo three ribbons and about a dozen screws, than finally prob open the back panel to get to the guts of the laptop. It may sound simple, but it's a cautious, time-consuming process, and absolutely should not have been designed so absurdly. Just to add a RAM stick, you would risk rendering your keyboard and trackpad inoperable, and possibly damage the motherboard.

So that's about it. I haven't experienced the power button or the power jack issues others have described, but despite its great value, the Asus G53SW is a purchase which demands caution.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent price/performance ratio..., June 20, 2011
Purchased 5/27, I've had adequate time to use the laptop.

Be prepared for the usual gimmicks: Useless OS and bloatware.

Out of the box, the laptop is blazing fast... for a while.
Give it a couple hours, maybe run a DX11 benchmark or some 1080p video, it'll lock up (I know this to be true of the 17" and one other 15" model) and you'll fight the urge to break it in half with every muscle in your body. Remember however, it's NEW and like all NEW electronics, the brilliant vendor has loaded the machine with their best of show gadgets, promotions, etc...

Once you wipe the HDD of the factory screw-ups and load your own OS, you'll be pleasantly surprised.

Currently dual booting Ubuntu 11.4 x64 and Windows 7 Ultimate x64.
Boot time in either OS is always <15 seconds.

Pros:
-Very Clear Display (I've yet to see a screen this nice).
-Reasonable battery life, 3-4 hours is common.
-Runs very cool (seldom above room temp) and VERY VERY quiet (Also have a Dell XPS 17 w/ i7 and HP Envy 15 w/ i5 - both of which run VERY warm).
-Keyboard is nice, REAL NICE.
-Very rugged design.

Cons:
-HEAVY, but that is to be expected of any hardware this caliber
-Giant power supply, again to be expected, but somehow DELL is manufacturing tiny power supplies for i7's, so it IS possible.
-Attracts finger prints without even touching it.
-ASUS Bloatware/ATK app is a bit laggy.

The prospect of solid state HDD and additional RAM, keep me excited.

5.0 out of 5 stars Quality, Performance, Budget & Build - Awesome !, August 18, 2011
Lets start with the specs: Well as the description of the laptop given, amazon delivered the same product as advertised with prompt delivery and works perfectly.

Some review states power button issues. To be honest I have not had any hardware problems so far. The other featured buttons may stop working when wondows 7 updates itself due to some driver conflict or something but that is no big deal, since all you have to do is downlaod the 'ATK drivers' from the website and the the buttons work perfectly again. (ASUS shouldnt be blamed for this to be honest, Windows should be !! )

SCREEN: is not 3D but a really brilliant 1080p full HD screen.

KEYBOARD: Backlit, comfortable and good quality. I find it softer than my previously owned HP. Tha back light has 3 illumintaion levels not a major feature but still comes in handy when working at night.

CAMERA: Standard 2mp works a charm for its class.

AUDIO: Much better than others I have heard. Good clarity and no jarring. Of course cant expect a surround sound or deep bass output its not made for your home theatre, if you are a audiophile invest in good external speakers (no brainer)!

CD/DVD DRIVE: standard dvd drive for writing and reading which most laptops have. Unfortunately no blueray, but for me I never use BRdvds.

GRAPHICS CARD: It has been handling everything from C.O.D to CRYSIS 2 amd most FPS games on high settings. Reviews say elsewise but it works perfectly for me. Still lot of games to play, so far so good. Not tried its 3D capability since if you really want 3D invest in a 3D system rather.
There is a lot the 3D market has to develop still so dont bother much about it. AS far as I have heard the 3D capabilites are pretty decent. (Can't have everything for peanuts can you ! ;)

PROCESSING: The i7-2630QM works a charm. I use a lot of photo softwares and does pretty well when the application is demanding. It is not as smooth as butter but performs well not to worry. It cut my editting time to half than my HP which was T9300 Core 2 duo 2.6GHZ with 4GB RAM and 256mb dedicated nvidia gfx card. In addition the ASUS has 8GB 1333Ghx RAM so thats a plus point. you can add upto 16GB.

OS: Everything works fine as usual. The suprise is that it boots really quick than the Alienware or anyother laptops with similar configs!!! Tried and tested :)

SOFTWARES: ASUS has put some extras in already which I think are annoying so I removed many of them which have no real functionality but its all upto you according to your way of working.

ACCESSSORIES: NO bag or mouse included.Charger is more like an SMPS (LOL!) but it doesnt really matter to me since the charger is not my key feature I am investing in.

If your wondering what can you fit this laptop in try 17" laptop bags coz they have enough room for this beast. I have just ordered a Lowepro Compuday (Slate) which can hold my DSLR and my laptop not yet seen if it fits since hasnt arrived yet but its worht a shot if you can preview it before you buy. Even alienwares ORION backpack accomodates without issues. I am sure there are many other out there just make sure its about 17" backpacks to save you the trouble.

Overall this laptop has been reliable, very good build quality, really good price according to all the research I have been doing for months, this laptop has the best configuration for its afforadable price. Period.

P.S: ALienware was my first option but seems they just over price you for the same configuration plus alienware looks much plasticy than this one. So if you want an alienware and no money for the fancy thing this laptop gives u the same for half the price and to my opinion better in quality and design.

5.0 out of 5 stars Had trouble in the beginning, but i'm loving it now!, May 28, 2011
At first, the asus live update kinda threw me off, because it kept getting rid of my ATK driver. ATK driver is for hotkeys such as fn button i believe. I had to re-install ATK driver from the asus support site and now it works fine. After that i just got rid of the asus live update, since most people told me it causes many problems. I'm not a intense gamer, however, this baby does run all the games i throw at him at max settings. The computer itself does not overheat, and it is not even loud at all. Keyboard is really nice to type on and it doesn't flex much. Overall, i am really shocked how well built this thing is.

5.0 out of 5 stars Power Button Issues? There's a fix., December 27, 2011
I received the Asus G53SW-XA1 as a gift for christmas/birthday. This gaming laptop is a beast and runs all of my games perfectly, I would highly recommend buying it if you're an avid gamer!

There is a slight drawback though - there are two minor flaws that can be easily fixed/avoided.
1) Power Button won't work: Rub a medium strength magnet on the bottom right area of the touchpad.
2) Power Pin is fragile: Buy an "L" connector for the power supply pin.

An interesting fact: the video card of this older series (G53SW/G73SW) is actually faster/stronger than the newer series (G53SX/G74SX).
G53SX/G74SX Video Card: GTX 560M, 128bit bus
G53SW/G73SW Video Card: GTX 460M, 192bit bus

5.0 out of 5 stars Value through the roof., January 15, 2012
I'm a college student who likes to game. So basically I have a limited budget, require a computer I can take from my house to class, and it needs to be powerful so I can game. After doing my research, I arrived at this computer. On paper...just wow. The processor, RAM, video card and display combo that this laptop features is simply fantastic, and I couldn't find it with any other computer for anything less then about $1300. At the time, this laptop was going for $900. Then I saw all the problems this laptop has had. Took a chance, figured I could return it if it was dead on arrival. After using this computer for two weeks I'd say this is by far the most pleased with a computer purchase I have ever been. This computer is lightning quick, and I can play games like Shogun 2 and Civ 5. On a $900 laptop. I challenge anyone to find a computer with more under the hood for the same price.

On feature notes, having a wireless N-band card is great, I'm no longer as tethered to my router as I used to be. The backlit keyboard is great, as well as having a numpad. The trackpad is also good, though the click is maybe a little too firm for my tastes. Whatever, use an external anyway. Battery life has been about 1-2 hours, which is fine with me. The internal camera is also pretty sweet, good resolution. I was looking for a computer I can pick up and move to somewhere else, not a laptop I can use while traveling, so weight/size is fine with me.

Too long, didn't read summary:

Buy this computer. You won't find better value anywhere else.