5.0 out of 5 stars Going Great!
*6/7/12 Original Review*
Published on June 7, 2012 by Adam A C

3.0 out of 5 stars Expected much better boot time
I was expecting a faster boot mainly because this is a beast of a machine. But it failed me there.
Yet to try out any GPU/CPU/Memory intensive tasks.
Planning to upgrade to Windows 8 & do a fresh install to check if that makes it faster.

I was unable to reach the BIOS menu. Tried the default keys F10 F12 ESC etc. nothing seems to take me to a BIOS...
Published 22 months ago by Sujay Krishna

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Going Great!, June 7, 2012
This review is from: ASUS G55VW-DS71 15.6-Inch Gaming Notebook (Black) (Personal Computers)
*6/7/12 Original Review*
This is simply my first impression of this notebook, i will update later to make sure no problems have arisen. This beast has everything you need to take on everyday work, photoshop, gaming, AutoCAD, and it does it flawlessly. The matte black rubberized material used throughout the notebook feels nice and gives you some extra grip and is cool to the touch. The dual fan system keeps everything cool even when you're gaming with it on your lap! My previous laptop practically gave me 3rd degree burns when i used it on my lap. The back-lit keyboard is very nice and looks beautiful in a dark room. The notebook does come with a software that limits CPU/GPU clock speeds for when you're simply browsing the internet or using word, which you can switch back to gaming mode for 100% power! I have had no problems with this product and highly recommend it.

*5/6/14 UPDATE*
Well, i definitely intended on updating this review much longer ago, but just never got to it, anyways, here's the update! Its STILL GOING GREAT! I'm actually typing this review, on the same laptop. It's been almost 2 years since i got this laptop and it's still handling the "next gen" games like a champ. It wont do BF4 on ultra, but it definitely plays it smoothly on a mixture of of Medium/High settings, which looks great to me. I'm currently playing Dark Souls 2 on it, and let me tell you, it plays like water flows in a river. I have no complaints with it up to this point. I replaced the original hard drive with a 512 GB SSD (solid state drive) and it boots up to the desktop faster than it takes me to pull out the charger from my back pack. The ONE con i've run into with this laptop is that the black finish on the S and D is fading, which would happen on just about any keyboard. With that being said, if you find/plan to buy this laptop used, it is definitely something you should consider vs shelling out $1,000+ on a brand new gaming laptop.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fast, Quiet, Cool, Good Screen, but Heavy, July 17, 2012
Pros:
For me, the best thing about this laptop is that it stays quiet and cool under heavy load, including while playing games.
I can play Skyrim or Diablo3 on ultra settings without burning my lap. The grills on the exhaust vents on the back can get hot, but never dangerously so in my experience. This is in contrast to my previous laptop, where the exhaust vent was hot enough to cause burns.

Rear exhaust vents are also much nicer than side vents; you can sit next to someone without blowing hot air at them the whole time.

Screen quality is good. It's a matte screen (not glossy). The matte coating is not excessive though; pixels are still clearly defined. The screen is also very bright; I usually keep it towards the dimmest settings at night.

I was originally planning to replace the HDD with an SSD, but honestly the laptop is so snappy that I cannot imagine it going any faster. Having a full 750GB is nice too.

Keyboard feel is nice. Having a numpad is extra nice (especially for games). The keyboard backlight supports 4 levels (off, dim, medium, bright).

Overall the build and materials have a high quality feeling to them. The construction is also solid; no flex when you lift it one-handed from one corner (assuming you have the wrist strength).

Cons:
As many others reviews have mentioned, this laptop is uncharacteristically heavy for a 15" laptop -- so be prepared.
The other problem that I (and many others) experienced is that the sound level is too high! To keep it in a quiet regime, you must set the global sound volume to somewhere between 1-8 (out of 100) on the speaker volume tray icon. On the flip side, the audio level is very good when watching movies with high dynamic range, since you can actually hear the quiet parts.
Another minor annoyance is that I tend to jostle the power cable out of the socket when moving the laptop too far left on my lap.
A final complaint is that unless you are Shaq, you will need two hands to adjust the volume with the keyboard, since you need to press Fn+F11 and Fn+F12 for volume-up and volume-down.

5.0 out of 5 stars I'll start by saying, subjectively (LOL), that I love ASUS products..., August 14, 2012
But on a more objective perspective, I have had numerous ASUS products and they have proven to be built to live and are of very good quality. Not to forget the great software support that they offer.

To start with, and clear any questions you may have, this version of the notebook does NOT have the 3D transmitter built in and does not have the Blu-Ray drive. That model would have the 3D designation in the model number (G55VW ...... 3D). Not sure how effective 3D gaming would be on a 15" screen, the screen has amazing colors and no noticeable dead/always on pixels on the unit I have (unlike all my previous notebooks Dell and HP, Dell died HP still is ticking. Hence Alienware was not an option when I was looking to get this).

With a 15" the full HD pixel density and LED it makes everything look much nicer than my 23" desktop full HD screen. However, I am not yet sure if the notebook screen supports 3D gaming with an external NVidia Nvision2 transmitter and glasses but the HDMI 1.4 should be able to on an external supporting display.

The NVidia card GT660M has the umph to run WoW on full settings on DX11, and that's mainly what I bought this notebook for. Running WoWish games should be no problem for the i7 3610 and the NVidia card although there is some slowdown where there are more players to render, the more taxing games like BF3, Future Solder, etc. level of games would need to be toned down a bit in the setting department (i.e. antialiasing and anisotropic filtering down or off).

The power management is spot on, Asus did well on that, but you'll miss the switch of graphics between the i7 integrated graphics and the GT660M maybe it is a software feature that will be available later who knows. You'll get an ROG button that chooses the operation mode from battery saver to full on performance with parameters you set, even the windows theme changes on battery saver.

The battery is OK, the GT660M burns through it though in a just around an hour when gaming and a few on normal usage (including normal brightness), however, you get almost a week of standby for the notebook on battery saver, and the included "always on" (I think) software tells you when it will no longer turn on. I forgot mine for a few days after it shutdown and once I plugged it in it resumed windows normally so you don't get that "windows was shutdown incorrectly" message, it remains standby mode.

However, the power brick is big and bulky and the short "unplugged" gaming life hinders the portability of the G55,,, the weight also factors in as it is not very light... but you knew that, right,,, when you thought about this notebook as a purchase option,,, right,,, anyone... unfortunately, and somewhat expectedly, you're getting a powerful gaming almost desktop-replacement notebook. So, make sure to choose "near the wall" seating in coffee shops and such because you'll need a power source for any decent gaming session.

There is absolutely no flex to the keyboard, and it is nicely backlit and not too bright. You get the usual Fn keys that control the volume (would have preferred the normal physical control, not a problem though) and other standard features. The notebook runs cool, quiet and comfortable, you may notice in some pictures that they show it with a full heat fins on the back, but that is only a showcase model. The back fins are almost three quarters (give or take a few) of the back, the battery has to take a part of it.

All in all I do recommend this product, if you want a really good gaming notebook you're at the right place for the right price. You also have the power for graphic and media processing, but not sure if there are other notebooks better suited for that specific application in terms of weight and battery life. Because the G55 is a powerhouse of gaming features and is built specific with a gamer in mind as the target customer.

Five out of five

Cheers,

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent build, excellent performance!, August 6, 2012
I was considering the G75VW for a couple months, but I am extremely glad I went with the G55VW. I wanted something as a mobile workstation, but also powerful enough for mid to high end gaming. This laptop performs both duties perfectly.

Here is the good stuff

Pros:

*Powerful. This thing is a little monster. The CPU runs cold and dominates everything. You will not be wanting, trust me. The GTX660M is plenty of power in my opinion, and it runs nice and cool. Let's not forget it's easily overclockable too.
*Beautiful. I wanted something that wasn't yet another boring black clam shell, and I was not disappointed! I can't say enough good things about the design... The metal keyboard back plate is stunning, and the exhaust and rubberized finish is definitely top notch Asus! You should definitely give your design team raises!
*Affordable. At $1300-1400 this thing is a steal. You might find competitors with slightly higher GPU specs for the same price, but with this laptop you get QUALITY. The build quality & the appearance is worth the money. None of the competitors can touch the style of this notebook.

Cons:

Not a one so far. I researched this before I bought it, so I knew exactly what I was getting.

If you want a powerful, beautiful laptop that will perform daily GET THIS. 5 out of 5.

5.0 out of 5 stars Completley satisfied so far(update later), October 11, 2012
So far this computer has handled everything I've thrown at it game wise that would have killed my last computer. The sound is on this computer is amazing to me, its extremley loud I have to keep it on the lowest volume setting and it works great. It boots up extremley fast and shuts down just as quick. I usually have a 4 hour battery life, which I can't complain because its a gaming laptop so you can't expect much out of the battery. The free mouse and bag are a good throw in for how much you spend on it. To be honest my only complaint about it so far is it is by far the heaviest laptop I've ever owned but again it can't be a negative, because when your buy a powerful gaming computer its going to have a shorter battery life and be quite heavy. But if you want my opinion, this computer is a great buy and has a lot better specs then other computers I saw at this price.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Price Performance, September 27, 2012
1. Excellent processing speed and video/graphic quality;
2. Plenty of memory and disk space;
3. Shipment included a very nice gaming mouse and a professional quality backpack;
4. Price is a fraction of MacBook Pro.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Product, September 26, 2012
I have had this laptop a few weeks now and it delivers as promised. Some people have complained about the volume being too loud. I agree, but I was able to change the settings to move the volume to a desired setting.

I play the latest games on this laptop and there have been no issues with performance.

Cheers to Asus!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Laptop, September 7, 2012
So far i have had this computer for about 3 weeks and overall it is a very good computer. It generally stays cool and has handled all games i have played it on it. Although it is a great computer, the only issue i had with it was the audio which i knew about before buying. The sub woofer doesn't seem to be able to be controlled by the the volume controls. this problem can be made better updating the drivers, but there are still some issues where even if you have external speakers or headphones the built in speakers play. This can be resolved by just moving the volume or muting it and unmuting, but it does become annoying. Other than for the audio the computer is great, just be aware of the audio issue before purchasing. Also enjoyed the fact that it came with a mouse and backpack.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful Machine... a bit of bad luck maybe, August 19, 2012
Logan M. (Carlsbad, CA) - See all my reviews
This computer was honestly just what I wanted: a full performance gaming laptop who's aesthetics were as good as it's specs.

Now for my problem: I had the laptop running for 2 days (not 2 whole days, I had it 2 days and was using it on and off). Then, while playing Portal 2 on medium graphics and 1080p, I started to notice some new issues. I was playing co-op with my friend who has a baseline 2008 aluminum MacBook (way slower than this computer) and yet the animations weren't loading in the loading menus and the loading menus were freezing up. HE WAS WAITING ON ME! My computer had suddenly started to perform slower than a baseline 2008 macbook! While I was actually playing (not in the loading screen) it seemed that all was well, but then the 3rd or 4th loading screen, the game crashed and when I tried ctrl+alt+del it said that the ctrlaltdel menu was not available, and that my only options were to try ESC to see if I could get out, or to forcefully shut down the computer. Of course, ESC didn't do anything, so I force shut down and start back up.

This is where the real problems start. It started up, windows boot logo and all. I give the computer a good 5 or 10 minutes to start up, and it remained at a black screen with the cursor visible, no login screen. Obviously something's up; it took hardly 45 seconds before. I had not experimented with the recovery tools before this point, and I also hadn't installed anything big but the games, so I was fine with doing the system restore to fix the problem. I did the restore. The problem did not stop: boots still took 5 minutes and the HDD was constantly trying to be read from for 15 minutes after booting. Any menu I tried to launch took a good 60 seconds to launch: stuff like right click menus took 30 seconds. And this was after 15 minutes of waiting for the HDD to stop being read from, something that used to take maybe 15 seconds.

What I feel the problem might have been: an update. Just before I had started playing Portal 2, I updated and restarted which appeared to work just fine. I don't believe it did. What does make me doubt this is that a system restore did not solve the problem; I would expect a Windows update to only be affecting the system data on the hard drive, which should have been solved by a system restore. It was not solved.

In my desperation, I reinstalled windows completely fresh. Wiped the HDD and reinstalled. Even this did nothing.

After all of this, I have decided to order a replacement. I only dropped one star for this issue and I truly hope it does not happen with the next one. It's a truly fantastic computer and I do recommend it to anyone looking; my problem is a very isolated one.

UPDATE: Got the new machine in, and it works flawlessly. I now understand that purchasing a "like new" computer from Amazon Warehouse Deals (which I have had good results with in the past) is not a good idea. I got the replacement new from Amazon and everything is fine, nothing seems out of place as many things did with the used one. I'm a happy customer!

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Laptop, too much included junk, September 2, 2012
P. Karl (Washington State) - See all my reviews
Received the laptop overnight using Amazon Prime and $9 :) Hard to beat that. Packaging from Asus is first rate and very sturdy. Thanks to Amazon for the cover box that hid what the order was.

First, this is a big computer, both in size and weight. I wanted the gaming ROG version mostly due to the keyboard layout and GPU, so the size and weight go along. But, this isn't something I'm going to be carrying around, so if you're looking for an excellent portable laptop, I'd consider something lighter. OS is Win7 Home Premium 64 bit which is a little cranky and intrusive, but where the world is now. Getting it to talk to my XP desktop has been eventful, to say the least.

Speed is amazing, with the exception of the Blu-ray/DVD drive which appears to be fairly slow and why I dropped a star, along with all the junk that was installed to "help you". I'm still working my way around all the junk Asus put on this thing, but installing a program from the optical drive is slow. I thought Office 2010 Pro Plus was going to be an overnighter for awhile, despite having 12GB of ram! Once programs are installed speed is excellent, with exceptions here and there that I haven't pinned down yet. I've removed quite a few of the fluff programs but am going slow there due to difficulty with backups. My favorite backup program, Macrium Reflect, cannot see the two partitions on the harddisk, although it sees them as destinations. Backing up using DVDs is exceeding slow, and impractical anyway.

Asus has an excellent support network evidently, there were a number of included software utilities (useful vs the other crap) that were updated shortly after I got an internet connection going.

Also included in the box, but absent from the description, was a very nice Asus ROG branded laptop backpack and a ROG premium gaming corded mouse. Had to download the software for the mouse from their website, but that's a no bother.

Bottom line; exceptionally attractive, very fast, big and heavy powerhouse. If you don't mind all the intrusive Microsoft programs and just want to either play games or have a powerful media computer, you could do much worse.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›