5.0 out of 5 stars Going Great!
*6/7/12 Original Review*
This is simply my first impression of this notebook, i will update later to make sure no problems have arisen. This beast has everything you need to take on everyday work, photoshop, gaming, AutoCAD, and it does it flawlessly. The matte black rubberized material used throughout the notebook feels nice and gives you some extra grip and is cool...
Published on June 7, 2012 by Adam A C

3.0 out of 5 stars Expected much better boot time
I was expecting a faster boot mainly because this is a beast of a machine. But it failed me there.
Yet to try out any GPU/CPU/Memory intensive tasks.
Planning to upgrade to Windows 8 & do a fresh install to check if that makes it faster.

Published on December 21, 2012 by Sujay Krishna

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice High-Performance Laptop; Fair Price., August 10, 2012
This review is from: ASUS G55VW-DS71 15.6-Inch Gaming Notebook (Black) (Personal Computers)
The G55VW is a great 15-inch laptop. Received on 7 August, 2012.

After arrival, I unboxed it and set up was relatively painless. This specific package ships with a nice-ish green colored backpack, supplying ample padding in the case of computer transport. The power-brick was a small surprise, being almost twice as large/heavy as my brother's Alienware M14X's 'brick. The computer itself is slick and a little more mature looking than an Alienware, without all of the premium lighting options. The computer's matte finish and matte 1920x1080 display really come together well.

I proceeded to load up the G55 with Adobe CS6, and Steam (with a large complement of games). Photoshop runs well, and I have to be actually trying in order to make it think a bit on the filter processing and amount of layers I have up. With Steam, I loaded up Crysis 2, Red Faction: Armageddon and Tribes: Ascend to test out overall graphics processing, physics-handling and reaction speed of the computer, respectively. In all three aspects, the 2.0 GB graphics card held up well, allowing me to run the games in full 1080p with high quality settings and the AA turned off. Turning AA on was a bit of a different story, so don't expect to be able to crank out the smooth pixels on this baby. Don't even worry about noise or heat with this thing, they're almost no factor at all.

After 2 solid days of use, I can say that none of the bundled software (except of course the McAfee antivirus) made me want to remove it, and seems to function well with the computer. The exception to this rule is that I needed an update for the audio drivers in order to make the on-screen-display (OSD) function correctly. Other than that, it's been smooth sailing.

Buy with confidence and know that if anything goes wrong, I'll be back to update my review.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great laptop, July 6, 2012
I was looking for a laptop that looked nice and was also built for gaming and so far this one is perfect. It runs most games on highest settings smoothly and I absolutely love the sleek design of the laptop. The only problems I have had so far were its sound quality and occasional lag spikes. The speakers are VERY loud even at minimum volume and sometimes causes the laptop to vibrate. Disabling surround sound seemed to fix that problem for me. Every now and then I get lag spikes, causing the computer to freeze for a second but it doesn't happen very often and probably isn't noticeable half the time. All in all I am satisfied with the laptop and would recommend it to others. Also, the purchase came with a ROG backpack and gaming mouse which I think is a nice plus.

5.0 out of 5 stars I love it!, April 13, 2013
I love it! I love it! I love it! I love it! I love it! I love it! I love it! I love it! I love it! I love it! I love it! I love it! I love it! I love it! I love it! I love it! I love it! I love it! I love it! I love it! I love it! I love it! I love it! I love it! I love it! I love it! I love it! I love it! I love it! I love it! I love it! I love it! I love it! I love it! I love it! I love it! I love it! I love it! I love it! I love it! I love it! I love it! I love it! I love it! I love it! I love it! I love it! I love it! I love it! I love it! I love it! I love it! I love it! I love it! I love it! I love it! I love it! I love it! I love it! ....Did I say I love it? Oh yes!

3.0 out of 5 stars Expected much better boot time, December 21, 2012
Yet to try out any GPU/CPU/Memory intensive tasks.

I was unable to reach the BIOS menu. Tried the default keys F10 F12 ESC etc. nothing seems to take me to a BIOS menu.
Makes me wonder if one is actually available.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good with a twist of confusion, December 19, 2012
K. Lichev (Pernik, Bulgaria) - See all my reviews
OK, so, after a lot of surfing, comparing and checking I made the tough decision between G55, Lenovo Y580 and Alienware 14. The Lenovo was off because of potential heating problems, while the Alienware was in the upper region of price and a bit lower specs amongst the three. I got a clean G55 installed Windows 8 Preview on it then made clean install of Windows 8 Pro. I discovered that obviously Asus makes me stay in forums for problem solving more than playing games or using the laptop.

Before jumping on me, tell me, how many of G55 owners - almost all - have those problems. I see tons and tons of same posts for all ROG laptops (actually some are ASUS-wide). Please, read the whole story! I love latest drivers and as a result I have the latest NVidia 310, latest VIA Drivers from ROG site (tried VIA Arena, too). And those problems are repeatable on two separate installs of Win 8. For each of them I have written to ASUS - though I doubt it will be of any use.

What is wrong? Well:

(Both Preview and Pro installs)
- Squeaking sound from the space bar when typing. WTF?
- Defective VIA drivers that put the subwoofer to whatever they like. I tried the VIA Arena drivers (10050) just to discover that subwoofer volume is kinda tied to the main volume bar - it moves but not always and not in even steps
- "Subwoofer" - on that point alone Asus needs to go to court - what sub is that when it plays everything? Let alone the audible click static noise when the volume is low and the "sub" is trying to play a Windows notification. That's is a mock with us, guys!
- Brightness resets to 100% when starting/stopping games or even when I open ASUS Smart Gesture

!----------------- Fixed with latest NVidia drivers - plus 1 star now -----------------!
- ASUS Smart Gesture - is this a joke? Inertial scrolling is always on - a slight move and my screen jumps. I cannot control the pad borders and as a result I often toggle Win8 gestures when actually trying to move the mouse
!----------------------------------!

A whole story on its own - BIOS totally sucks. I was at 209 when installing the Preview and it hardly booted from the USB - I had to change some settings in the BIOS to tweak legacy USB in order to get it done. In comparison, my wife's Lenovo G580 that I bought, simply asked me in the boot menu whether I want UEFI or normal boot. The G55 did not even bother showing me the USB boot as an option before changing the default BIOS settings.
I later upgraded to BIOS 220 just to discover that Turbo Boost Disable has disappeared (I just wanted to try the heat levels when processor is capped, but obviously a no go). The configuration of north bridge has gone as well. The legacy USB setting is gone too - I installed the Win8Pro from DVD so that I do no bother with BIOS anymore. So I do not know whether it will boot from USB. "Firmware change" is the only explanation from ASUS while crippling the BIOS.

(Windows 8 Pro install)
- Screen brightness shuts down screen when setting to 0%. So, when I try to lower screen brightness, the screen goes off and then I need to turn it one level up. Niiiice, ASUS!

Well, I cannot ignore the 30% CPU usage when playing The Secret World, nor I can ignore the quiet fans at that load. The look is great. I don't care for the battery since I have a 12 inch Elitebook. There are no words to describe the amazing feel when using the backlit keyboard or the amazing 70 degrees Celsius of the GPU while gaming. And did I say that it is quiet? The noise level of the fans while playing on the G55 is lower than the noise of a brand new Toshiba L580 on idle :) There is no arguing that a lot of thought and knowledge has been put in this notebook.

Edit: With NVidia 310.90 drivers performance got even better. Now playing The Secret World gets 20-25% CPU usage. Amazing!

But the devils is in the details and the screen brightness jumping or shutting down the screen and the squeaking space bar are something that I can only describe using symbols like !@#$%...

Edit 2: NVidia Drivers 314 fixed the jumping brightness issue. Performance under Windows 8 + Direct X is still unsatisfactory.

For comparison, the aforementioned G580 just worked - from the boot from USB to later using drivers (sound, video, whatever). And, boy, have I met laptops? Right now I have the Lenovo and the Asus next to me. There are also a Dell Inspiron and the Elitebook. And on none of these have I had such problems. Except the Elitebook with its one-of-a-kind-build-attempt-in-"quality" (but that's another story).

Update: After an year of very moderate use (sometimes not used for a week or two), the "\" key started popping out - some broken key retainer hinge. So, one star less. Meanwhile under Windows 8.1 the performance is actually better. For instance, Guild Wars 2 on default settings and capped at 30 FPS runs at about 25-30% CPU.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best laptop I've ever tried!, October 7, 2012
This laptop has awesome performance and power. It has a great battery life, too.
It helps me edit videos and export them faster than I ever could before.

5.0 out of 5 stars Solid., September 24, 2012
This PC appears so far to be a solid investment, arrived promptly and works very well. Plenty of computing power.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Laptop, August 7, 2012
Azenor (Livingston,TN USA) - See all my reviews
Laptop does a great job with games (does very well on BF3 and Skyrim).
I went from a 17" to a 15" laptop, and when comparing weight they are about the same.
So, I am impressed with the weight, was worried it was going to be heavier.
Very well built, this thing feels solid. Only problem with it is the CD drive bay is kinda loose.
Battery life is great. Lasts 3 hours when not in gaming mode and lowest brightness. Big step up from what I was use to.

In regards to the missing 1 star from this review,
When i first bought this thing and was updating all the drivers, things just didnt work right.
Took me forever to install a 360 controller onto it, as it wouldnt recognize it on any of the ports.
Most of the time I was unable to adjust the screen/keyboard brightness (which I have still yet to fix)
And the CD drive seems to keep disappearing from the device list on the computer.
Had slight problems with the wireless connections

Computer cons:
Bootup time is slow, a little slower than my desktop with the same speed HDD.
Power brick is huge. I dont know what they were thinking, but its huge.

But all that set aside, the hardware of the computer is superb.
Thing runs very cool when gaming, doesnt even get my lap warm when playing things on max graphics.
All in all, it was a good purchase. Talking with Asus is a pain though, as it takes over 3 days to get a reply via email, and I waited for 3 hours in chat one day and never got a chance to talk. The best way of communication is the just call them, as the call hours are 24/7 for Asus notebooks.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very solid laptop, August 3, 2012
This laptop is incredible. I haven't found one thing wrong with it other than the sound. The sub woofer is very loud, but if you just turn it down in the settings, the sound is fine. The battery life is adequate and it's actually pretty good considering it's a gaming computer. It's very fast and it never heats up because of the cooling system. The mouse and the backpack that come with it are nice.

4.0 out of 5 stars Item Dead on Arrival - Now Repaired, July 3, 2012
Original Review:
While the notebook arrived quickly, it completely fails to boot up, and so far is a $1400 paperweight.
No boot disc or other recovery software was provided, so I cannot fix the situation on my own.
I have contacted ASUS tech support, and they will theoretically get in touch with me some time in the next 48 hours.
~~~~
After contacting their tech support on the and going through an email form the notebook was sent in for repairs on the 6th. It was shipped via Fed Ex, who quickly moved it to a shipping / distribution building and then held it there for four days before sending it another 20 miles to the ASUS site. Once ASUS' repair center actually got a hold of it, they fixed it (by replacing the hard drive) and shipped it back out within a day. The notebook is performing well now.

ASUS G55VW-DS71 15.6-Inch Gaming Notebook (Black)
Used & New from: $1,285.00