Customer Video Review     Length:: 6:25 Mins

Published 10 months ago by jjceo

2.0 out of 5 stars Bright, but sucks color out of surfaces it shines on
These bulbs are alright. I own the first variant of these bulbs that had a CRI (color rendering index) of I think 82 (100 is the highest rating that is equal to a traditional incandescent bulb) and am not particularly impressed with the light quality that they produce.

Published 9 months ago by bblack07

5.0 out of 5 stars This is an excellent LED bulb for use in can lights in rooms or all over your home!, October 10, 2013
This review is from: G7 Power Elko LED 15 Watt (85W) 1100 Lumen BR30 Recessed Light Bulb, Dimmable 2700K Warm White Light (Tools & Home Improvement)
Length:: 6:25 Mins

This is an excellent bulb for a recessed can light and its 180 degree beam angle makes it one of the brightest and most power efficient that I have seen for use in a room can light. It is a dimmable 15 watt LED bulb that is comparable to a 85 watt AC powered incandescent bulb. The light color is very similar to an incandescent bulb at 2700 Kelvin. It outputs 1100 lumens. The bulb is designed for indoor use and it is UL approved and manufactured to ISO 9001 quality standards.

The bulb weighs 9 1/4 ounces. That compares to a 65 watt incandescent bulb that weighs 2 1/8 ounces. It is designed to fit into a can light fixture. It has the same physical size when compared to a 65 watt can incandescent bulb we use today. Please see my video. I love it for a room can light as the 180 degree beam angle spreads the light and it actually seems much brighter than the 65 watt bulb.

It features a 35,000 hour life span which means it will last 31.9 years when used 3 hours per day. It comes with a 5 year warranty. Unlike CFL (Compact Fluorescent Lights) these bulbs contain no mercury, emit no UV radiation and they do not flicker or hum. The lens is shatter resistant plastic and there is no glass to break.

The light is power efficient with a power factor of .95 which is very good. I measured a Power factor of .96 which is actually better than specified. At 14.3 watts of power I literally could place my hand onto the bulb and it was not warm at all. I used a watt meter and a power factor meter and verified the bulbs specs and they were actually better than they were specified. This is just what I would expect from a good company like G7 Power. It drew less than 1/4 the power of a 65 watt can light bulb and produced a brighter light. You will save power costs, replacement bulb costs and labor having to replace bulbs every 5 or 6 months as these could last for decades.

This is truly a 5 star product based on its quality and what it can save you in the long run.

I was supplied a sample for test and evaluation and I promised to provide a fair and honest review.

2.0 out of 5 stars Bright, but sucks color out of surfaces it shines on, November 7, 2013

Don't get me wrong, they produce TONS of light quantity, but when you have these running next to a high CRI LED Cree bulb (94 CRI LBR30) they look green! You don't realize how a low CRI LED bulb actually makes rich surfaces such as woods and brighter colored objects look absolutely dull. If you are trying to get as close to the warmth of incandescent bulbs as possible I think there is a good chance you will not be happy with these or any LED or CFL that has a CRI of under 90.

IF the higher CRI bulbs are still too expensive for you, I'd honestly wait before buying tons of these bulbs or anything with a low CRI. The technology is rapidly advancing since LEDs are catching on.

We ordered something like 20 of these and wish we could send them all back after seeing what a high CRI bulb looks like in comparison. We pulled the trigger too early. Since lights are becoming more like appliances that you will have for many many years....just be sure you do your research and do your own testing in small orders before replacing the whole house, office, or whatever you are replacing.

Good luck! REMEMBER 90+ CRI = higher chance you'll be happy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding performance; frugal energy use, October 3, 2013
I'm using this in a recessed can housing over my bathroom sink. It replaces a 120 watt incandescent that put out a fine amount of light, but also a lot of heat. The light is situated in a drop-down portion of the ceiling, so it's not too far from my head. After a few minutes, I got to know what a french fry feels like under those warming lights.

This LED, however, provides the same, if not better, illumination and zero appreciable heat. The light color is very natural, and the dispersion is excellent. Two of these light up the entire bathroom.

The build quality is solid. I have several other G7 Power bulbs and they have yet to disappoint me with regard to construction quality and performance.

The only downside is that better bathroom lighting is not a good situation at my age - I'm much better looking in dim light. But at least the better lighting will allow me to shave with greater accuracy while I bemoan the way the passing years have marked my face.

Now, if G7 could come up with a bulb that would make people look more attractive, they would fly off the shelf at ten times the price. Until then, this is an excellent choice for good light output at a fraction of the energy cost of an incandescent, well-balanced natural color, and very low heat output. Highly recommend.
[Sample provided for review]

5.0 out of 5 stars Great LED bulb at a great price, November 17, 2013
I ordered 9 of these to replace the incandescent ones in my ceiling. I am very pleased with them so far. They are incredibly bright and have just that right "soft white" color I was looking for. The only little drawback for me is that I wish they dimmed down a little further. I was aware that LED lights don't dim as far down as the incandescent ones though before I purchased.
These are so comparable to my old incandescent bulbs that my wife still hasn't noticed that I swapped them out yet :). You can't beat these bulbs for the price.
Edit 12/1/2013: I replaced my old dimmer for the incandescent bulbs for a Lutron DVCL-153PH-WH dimmer designed for LED and CFL bulbs. This dimmer includes HED technology which allows you to adjust the dimming range for these bulbs. I am now extremely satisfied with these bulbs thanks to this new dimmer. I can dim the bulbs WAY down now with no flickering or such. In fact they get so low now that I never lower the dimmer to the bottom setting. G7 told me that with this recommended dimmer, I should be able to get the bulbs down to 15 to 30 percent of their maximum light output, but I feel that I can dim them down to about 5 percent.
Thank you to G7 and to Jon (the person who replied to my review) with the information I needed to solve my issue. Or should I say perfect these bulbs :).

3.0 out of 5 stars Price is right, color is not, February 20, 2014
I purchased the 1100 lumen 2700k 85W equivalent R30 light, and thus far it is very nice an dims on my LED lutron dimmers without problems. However there are 2 caveats:

1. To get 1100 lumens they probably needed to make the lens cover a little more clear, so when they are at full brightness you can see the LED star pattern through the lens. Since I use these in an uplight situation, not a problem. If you use this in a downlight solution this may bother you.

2. More concerning - While this is 2700k (and that is an average), because CRI and wavelength distribution also matters, to get the high lumen output the "color" of the Lumiere is quite biased to the yellow/green spectra (525-550nm), closer to a metal halide/CFL, NOT incandescent which say favors more red. Cree and others have used neodymium to reduce this "unpleasant" frequency but of course than lowers lumen output. I have newer BR30 LED and CFL that have less "halide" bias and they look more like incandescent. I also purchased the A21 G7 (little bigger than regular edison bulb) and that also has a distinct 550 bias, to the point of me not liking it much. My wife has no idea and just says "it's brighter".

To sum it up, most people would NEVER notice but those who complain that CFL's "dont look like incandescent" will probably not enjoy these bulbs because they definitely have yellow/green bias that people equate with older generation CFL's.

I strongly feel that LED technology is still in it's infancy and until they have CRI of 90+, lumens/watt 200, at 2700K with a high R9 (California is pushing), these are still 1.5 gen products. Also of BIG concern and of TRAGIC misinformation of the entire LED industry is that when you see 25,000 hours quoted, that is simply referring to the capabilities of the LED semiconductor to keep light to 70% of it's original value under NORMAL temperatures, NOT the MTBF (mean time before failure) which CFL and incandescent must quote. As these 1.5G lights are not very efficient they have these big heat sinks, and the electronics in the driver components typically die much faster or the high heat kills the LED. I have yet to have an LED last more than two years. 100% failure rate in 3 bulbs So when the CFL says 4,000 hours this is 4,000 MTBF, there is NO SUCH rating for LED's yet, and IMHO one of the biggest SHAMS foisted on the American public to buy first generation product for big bucks.

With that said, LED is the future -- I'm just not going to rush out and replace my incandescent and CFL's because they offer better value and in 2-3 years LED will have become good enough to fully replace CFL at a decent price, and maybe 5 years incandescent. But know they probably won't last 25,000 hours, and will cost 50% less in 2 years and be far superior.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brighter and warmer light than I expected, October 30, 2013
I bought 4 of these bulbs about 3 weeks ago, but figured I'd be returning them because they were too dim, too narrow a beam, or the light was too white. I was wrong, these bulbs are bright floods with a warm light. I like them so much, I just ordered 5 more for other places in my house. The technology has really advanced compared to LED bulbs from a year ago.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bright, Efficient, Affordable, October 31, 2013
I've been holding off on the LED lighting revolution for a while, since I really didn't like the quality of light from some early products that I tested. They were also very expensive, which made me even more reluctant to invest into something that I was not too keen on to begin with. However, the technology has come a long way and some of the recent products are every bit as pleasing to the eye as the familiar incandescent lightbulbs. The prices have also been coming down, so there is very little reason not to jump on the LED revolution bandwagon.

This 15 Watt G7 warm LED light bulb gives off a crisp white light that is very sharp and well defined. It even feels brighter than the equivalently rated incandescent light bulb. The bulb seems really well made and it fit the flood light socket perfectly. As an additional feature, this light is dimmable, which is a great feature to have. I also really like the warm, natural look of this light, and IMHO it's one of this light bulb's main selling points. I've discovered that, for me at least, the light bulbs in the 2600 K to 2900 K have the most pleasant look. That temperature range resembles very closely the light that comes from the traditional incandescent light bulbs and even candles.

I have not used this light bulb long enough to be able to ascertain how much of a saving it really is. I have no reason not to believe that the savings can be substantial, and some of the estimates are given on the packaging that comes with this light bulb. One of the main reasons I like the LED light bulbs is the fact that they don't need to be replaced very often. (The estimated life of this light bulb is over 22 years.) That comes in handy especially with the flood lights - most of mine are in not-easily-accessible places and less work I have to do replacing them, the better.

Overall, this is a great light that will probably save you a lot of time and money over the years that you own it. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for Can Lights, February 9, 2014
David Loy (United States) - See all my reviews
I bought one of these for a trial run for recessed lights in our kitchen. It works perfectly. My wife says it's a little different than the incandescents we have, but not much. She's picky about lighting--she can't stand the old, cold-white LED lights, and standard fluorescent lighting gives her a headache. She's got no problems with this bulb. We don't hear any buzzing, and we feel less heat coming from it than from the incandescents. Best of all, I figure that we'll save $11/year in electricity costs by going from a 65+ watt bulb to this one (southern California rates). The bulb will pay itself off within a year and a half. I'll be replacing the rest of the incandescent bulbs in the kitchen shortly!

5.0 out of 5 stars Best value, extremely happy., February 18, 2014
I have been monitoring BR30 bulbs on the market for a long while, waiting for the brightness to reach 1000 lumens. Finally I found this product and it does not disappoint. And the cost is the lowest I have seen for BR30 LEDs.

Brightness:
Significantly brighter than the 65W Halogens I was replacing. They have good linear dimming. After a lot of research, these G7 2700K 15W BR30s were definitely the brightest BR30s available - perfect for my 2-story cathedral ceiling cans. Not only that, they also cost less than other brands that were less bright. These are the highest lumen/dollar by far.

Color Temp:
I was worried these would appear too warm (at 2700K) because I was also considering 3000K. But I am happy to say they are a perfect warm white. My halogens were actually very orange at low brightness (probably down to 2000K or lower) and would get "cooler" white as brightness increased. Not so with these G7 2700K 15W BR30s. At their dimmest, they are the same color temp as at their brightest, and that color temp is the same, or ever so slightly whiter (cooler) than Halogen at full brightness.

Screw base:
The only negative I encountered was the minor difficulty in screwing them into my ceiling canisters. The Halogens I had, had no issue, but these G7 BR30s needed to be wiggled persistently as they were screwed in. They were just a bit tight. I measured the base and compared them to my old Philips BR30 Halogens. The outer thread dimension of the Halogens were 26.1mm, the G7 LEDs were 26.4mm. The inside thread dimension was 24.31 and 24.56 respectively. Not much different, and probably within spec, but I had to lube the LED bases with some petroleum jelly to reliably get them all the way in (considering I was using a suction cup on a long pole to screw them in).

I would recommend this to anyone looking for dimmable high brightness in the ceiling can lights. A great value.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great product, if they had more variety in temperature I'd buy more, June 23, 2014
I am reviewing the BR30 size 11-watt 700-lumen 2700k version of the G7 "Power Jackpot" LED bulb.

This bulb is intended to replace a 65-watt incandescent bulb, and I find that comparison to be very accurate. I put one of these in my kitchen with 3 other 65-watt incandescents, and this bulb was a little bit brighter and fresher than my old dirty bulbs, just what I was after.

That being said, I don't really like the light I get from my old 65-watt incandescent bulbs, and so this light is just a slight improvement. I think this is my personal preference - I tend to enjoy more full-spectrum light (I think that means I prefer 3000k or higher temperature bulbs). I see another reviewer discussing "CRI" but I have not yet researched what that implies for my experience.

The beam angle is excellent for recessed kitchen lighting. This light acts just like the old incandescent bulbs.

I agree that this bulb is "instant-on," however it is interesting that there is a half-second delay compared to the 2 other incandescent bulbs in my kitchen. It would not be noticeable if I had all the same bulb type installed, but with mixed bulb types, it is a stutter effect that catches our eye. That merely suggests that we should buy more of the same bulb, of course, nothing against this bulb itself.

Perhaps helpful, before using this bulb I tried a stronger BR40 bulb, just to see if I liked the change in our kitchen.
For reference, this is the BR40 bulb we tried:
"GSTAR LIGHTING BR40 15 Watt LED Warm White 3000K ETL listed E26 Socket, 100 Watt Incandescent bulb Replacement Light Bulb"
Here is the Amazon link:

The 15-watt LED was MUCH brighter, almost to the point of annoyance for us. I personally like the 3000k light more than the 2700k light, however I would like to find a balance between the 11 watt and the 15 watt (I imagine it's out there, just haven't found it yet).

I would love to find 11 or 12 watt 3000k bulbs (or maybe higher? Not sure yet, more testing opportunities there).
In the meantime, I think I'll be purchasing more of these G7 BR30s to fill out my kitchen, unless I find the magic in-between bulb (and if my wife's patience continues with my search for the perfect light =)

Note: While writing this review, I decided to order this bulb to test, will update my findings:
Satco S9044 11 Watt (65 Watt) 800 Lumens BR30 LED Cool White 4000K 108 Beam Ditto Light Bulb, Dimmable

If G7 had more combinations of wattage and temperature, I'd buy the product again since it seems to be well-made.

Rate and Discover Movies