5.0 out of 5 stars Compared to Kobi: Bright, Efficient, Nice Price
This is a cool (4000k) version of G7's 2700k model.

Right now, it's 5-star impressive, compared to the best alternatives I could find.

If you know of better alternatives, please post a comment.

There are lots of dimmer 700 - 800 lumen BR bulbs. My review of G7's 700 lumen BR30 LED compares those.

- - - LED Bulb Comparison...
Published 6 months ago by C. MacPhail

2.0 out of 5 stars Bright but Light Beam is very Diffuse
These are very bright and very blue (I suspect color temperature is much higher than stated). These lights offer no direction to their light pattern; you would get the same light pattern as using a plan light bulb in your fixture. Great light for general room light, unacceptable for directional lighting in kitchen or to accent a feature in a room. But remember their...
Published 4 months ago by StarBurst

5.0 out of 5 stars Compared to Kobi: Bright, Efficient, Nice Price, March 8, 2014
This review is from: G7 Power Tahoe LED 15 Watt (100W) 1200 Lumen BR30 Recessed Can Light Bulb, Dimmable 4000K Bright White (Tools & Home Improvement)
This is a cool (4000k) version of G7's 2700k model.

If you know of better alternatives, please post a comment.

- - - LED Bulb Comparison - - -

G7: This 1200-lumen 15 watt BR30 ($18)
Kobi: Kobi Electric 1100 lumen 18 watt R30 ($25-30)

G7 . . . . Kobi
----- . . ------
1200 . . . 1100 . . . . . Lumens
15 . . . . . . 18 . . . . . Watts Claimed
14.7 . . . . . . . . . . . . Watts Measured (After 10 minutes)
81. . . . . 61 . . . . . . . Lumens per watt (Energy efficiency)
4000k . . 5000k . . . . . Color temperature
80 . . . . ??? . . . . . . . Color Rendering (CRI. See Note 1)
35,000 . 25,000 . . . . Average Life (claimed) (hours)
5 year . . 5 year . . . . Warranty
Yes . . . . Yes . . . . . . Dimmable
Yes . . . . ??? . . . . . . Silent
No . . . . . No . . . . . . Outdoor use

It's efficient (81 lumens per watt).

"BR" series bulbs send even amounts of light in all directions (180-degrees). No harsh shadows. The light comes from everywhere within its frosted 3.6" diameter.

Downside of "BR" type bulbs vs PAR: 1.) Even light can make things a little drab, washed out, boring. 2.) More glare, if you look directly at the bulb from within it's wide 170-degree flood zone. If you want sharper light, check out G7's PAR38 bulb, which puts out fairly cool white light despite its 3000k rating.

Dimming works great with my Lutron dimming wall switch. Wide range of brightness, no noise.

In your hand, the bulb looks and feels like quality, and is very well marked with lumens, wattage, etc.

- - - Pricing - - -

Prices sometimes jump around. There's an "Online Price Alert" that will email you whenever this or any amazon product dips below your target price. Google it. Or try camelcamelcamel, which also shows price history.

- - - Disclosure - - -

The manufacturer gave me this bulb for review. I believe my review is impartial.

- - - Notes - - -

Note 1: Color Rendering Index tells you how faithfully a bulb illuminates all different colors. Incandescent bulbs tend to have a CRI close to 100, the best possible score. According to a Wikipedia article, most fluorescent bulbs have a CRI between 50 and 90.

~~~ Comments & questions welcome ~~~

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for Photography or Crafts, February 28, 2014
My lights came directly from the manufacture in a timely manner, and in good condition. They are heavier than the incandescent 65w bulbs and the CFL's that I replaced. The Incandescent and CFL's gave off a soft yellow light. My Photography Studio/Craft room has 11 ft ceilings and always looked dark, so I upgraded then with 85w replacements. These bulbs bring just the right amount of brightness to this space. The white light is pleasing to the eye, and better for photography than the 'yellow' light from incandescent and the CFL's I had.

I chose these lights because of the 1200 Lumen, as well as the "Day Light White" color. They are 'only' 4000K (most lights are down in the 2700K range which is a 'softer/yellower' light), I had hoped for 5500K or 6500K for an even whiter light which is what most photographers use, but these lights are perfect at 4000K. They work well for photography, but they are not too harsh for everyday use in the craft room.

They fit perfectly in our recessed can light's. They are the exact same dimensions as the lights I replaced. Originally I ordered 4, but quickly ordered 2 more when they arrived and I was able to evaluate them. I will likely order many more as my house has many recessed lights. However, the priority was the Photography Studio, the rest can wait. These are a fantastic value for the price.

In the 5000K range, there was only a '65w' replacement Philips which was $22 with lower Lumens (800) than I needed, or another brand '65w' replacement that only put out 650 Lumen. This bulb cost less ($18), and put out more light (Lumens).

I was a little apprehensive to order these, as there were only 3 reviews when I ordered these lights, and one of those reviews was 2 stars. It said "The illumination of these lights was very week, did not match the existing lights. The existing lighting system has 12 fixtures that have halogen lights." -- I did not replace Halogens, so I can not comment on that, but I can say that these are MUCH BRIGHTER and whiter than the standard 65w incandescents and CFLs that I replaced.

5.0 out of 5 stars Cool Color - Really Bright, March 20, 2014
The G7 Power BR30 LED lamp is a bright cool flood light. If you are looking for a white light on the blue / green side, this is perfect. The amount of light output is impressive using only 15 Watts of electricity. The lamp can be dimmed, as with all not incandescent lamps your mileage may vary with the specific dimmer switch you have.

Replacing incandescent lamps with LED will save a lot of electricity - in this case 70 Watts of electricity. If you are replacing ceiling lights or a bank of lights - you should replace all of them with the same type of bulb. Don't mix and match incandescent and LED. Make sure all the LED's have the same color temperature - in this case 4000K, or cool. You don't want the light to look strange with different colors.

The lamp is instant on, there is no warm up period compared to CFL's. The lamp runs cool; it gives off very little heat. The light is even, there are no hot spots or strange shadows. Unlike incandescent bulbs, there is no light spill around the sides of the bulb. The exposed part of the lamp that will be visible from a can or light fixture looks a lot like an incandescent bulb. The back 3/4 is usually hidden inside the fixture - those fins are heat sinks to keep the lamp the proper temperature. If LED's are overheated their life is reduced dramatically.

Personally, I'm not a huge fan of the color of this light. I like the warm glow of an incandescent bulb - I like lamps that are much warmer than this bulb. The color of this light is similar to the colder CFL bulbs. A lot of people like this look, it approaches daylight. If you are mixing this lamp with incandescent bulbs, you will notice a big difference in the color temperature.

How do you choose which bulb to use? I was certainly confused when I started looking at all these bulbs. The lamps are a letter prefix for the type of light, followed by a number that represents the lamp diameter. PAR means Parabolic Aluminized Reflector - like car headlights, these are intense highly focused lights. BR means Bulged Reflector - these spread light out farther and have a bulge at the top so that light can shine to the side a little bit. Incandescent lamps may be called simply R meaning Reflector. For all practical purposes, BR and R is the same thing. The number side of the equation is strange. 20 = 2.5 inch diameter. 30 = 3.75 inch diameter. 38 = 4.75 inch diameter.

This lamp is a BR-30, meaning it is a flood lamp that is 3.75 inches diameter. If you need tighter coverage, then a PAR-30 lamp would be the right choice.

This is an excellent, bright lamp that sips electricity, and is very affordable. If you don't mind the cooler color temperature, this is a great choice.

I was provided a review sample.

5.0 out of 5 stars Medium white light, long life, 5 year warranty and it uses less than 1/6th of the power of a 100 watt bulb!, July 10, 2014
Length:: 6:10 Mins

I like this LED bulb a lot. We have more than 40 can lights in our home and it fits into them perfectly. It is about the same size and shape as a standard spot flood lights that we are using. The main difference is the level of technology and power savings that you can achieve by using this light. First of all this light actually outputs 1200 lumens of light. It replaces a 100 watt bulb but it only uses 15 watts of power! I show the actual wattage readings in my video. This bulb is UL certified. The bulb is designed to last 22.8 years when used about 3 hours every day. It has a 35,000 hour life and you should compare that to the 2,000 hours of life for the Westinghouse spot lights we were using. That means as a minimum this bulb will last longer than 18 incandescent bulbs. I can also tell you that I never seem to get 2,000 hours of life out of an incandescent bulb.

I have 24 can lights in my basement and you can imagine how much heat they emit and energy they use when we are having a party. These bulbs save a lot on power consumption but also on heat generated from just being on.

The bulb weighs 9 1/4 ounces and an incandescent spot light bulb weighs 2 1/8 of an ounce. This bulb is ruggedly made with a nice heat sink for the LED element and it stays cool. In my testing I could reach out and touch the bulb after having it on for 10 minutes and it was only slightly above room temperature. It contains no glass to break and to cut you. There is also no mercury in this bulb like there is in a CFL bulb. When I first started using CFL bulbs I found it difficult to find a place to recycle them because of the mercury in them. I had to drive 30 miles to a county recycling site to throw them away. Wonderful, conserve energy and burn up gasoline!

The light from this LED bulb is a middle grade of white light at 4000K and I show that in my video when I compare it to incandescent bulbs and measure its power usage and power factor. I also show it in a light fixture and it looks great. It can be dimmed and it comes with a 5 year warranty. Not only are you saving energy by using less than 1/6th of the power you are saving money on buying replacement incandescent bulbs and the time and labor of replacing them. I plan on replacing a lot of bulbs in my home with this LED bulb. I rated it as a 5 star item!

I was supplied a sample for test and evaluation. A review was not promised to the supplier in exchange for the sample but I stated that if I provided a review that it would be fair and honest.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent product - top value, March 30, 2014
This light yields more light for your dollar than at least one competitor. And it gives a more "natural" light, meaning the the color temperature (4000K) is neither cool (bluish) or warm (more red), but right in the middle - more like sunlight, i.e, more natural/neutral.
I also bought a similar competing light at the same time to compare. It cost considerably more ($~28 vs. this one at ~$17) and gives a more bluish light (5000K), but it is brighter than this one, as bluish LED lights tend to be. If you want a light for outdoor night use, I would spend the extra money for the extra (bluer) brightness, but for most uses, especially indoors, this warmer light is gives a more pleasing, natural looking light. And again, this light is significantly less expensive than the bluer light.

5.0 out of 5 stars Night and day difference, March 8, 2014
I received a review sample and tested this bulb against a 100 Watt filament style incandescent bulb. The difference was like that of night to day. Although the product description claims that this is a replacement for 85 Watt bulbs it will easily replace a 120 - and still illuminate better.

Part of the better illumination of this one comes from the 1200 lumens of brightness, but both the color temperature and the form factor of the bulb itself are factors. This is a large light about the size of an outdoors spotlight, so it will not work in anything smaller than a six inch can style holder or other style that is at least six inches across. Also, while I compared this to an outdoors spotlight, this is strictly an indoors bulb. The packaging warns against using it outside.

At the time of this review the product description contained 'important information' that claims an annual energy cost of $5.38. The packaging in which my bulb came puts that number into more context. It claims $1.81 per year based on three hours per day with an energy cost of $0.11 per kilowatt hour. The $5.38 number reflects a more realistic eight hours per day useage, but the variable is the cost per kilowatt hour. Regardless, the annual cost of this bulb is nominal and it pays for itself in most circumstances in less than a year.

These bulbs run very cool, which is another indication of their energy efficiency. I was able to touch and hold my finger against the review sample I received without discomfort after it had been illuminated for a continuous twelve hours.

One final claim that the product box claimed is a twenty-two year life (assuming the three hours per day use). At eight hours use per day that would still come to over seven years, which beats CFL bulbs by a large margin and greatly lowers the total cost of ownership of these bulbs. I own other G7 bulbs and they have been in near continuous use for well over six months without any degradation. I am inclined to believe the numbers stated and will update this review if - at some later date - I do experience failures or degradation.

Bottom line: these bulbs are everything G7 claims and more. The value proposition is solid and these bulbs will pay for themselves in less than a year in energy savings along. That is a short breakeven point for a bulb with a seven plus year life span.

5.0 out of 5 stars Cool, not cold, March 7, 2014
I received this Tahoe BR30 as a 'for review' unit but I wasn't asked and I didn't promise a 'good review' in exchange.

The Tahoe claims to be the equivalent of a 100W incandescent which is to output the 1200 lumens this 15W LED shines. G7 estimates that the the bulb would last for almost 23 years if used for 3 hours a day (of course, nobody actually used an LED bulb for 32 years yet but estimates are okay). The 4000K light which is a 'warm white' is not the warm 'yellow' most of us learned to love in our old incandescents but I happen to prefer it to 'yellow' when working these days (office).

There are significant benefits to using LEDs over incandescents and even CFLs (fluorescents) starting with lower energy costs and when it comes to LEDs vs. CFLs the LEDs are environmentally cleaner (no Mercury).

I happen to believe that the LEDs are the future of illumination and all the G7 products I've received for review are well engineered, nicely packaged, quality products. Not calling this 'cheap' or 'a bargain', getting this product is probably as good as you can get for your money today if you factor in quality, design and today's ongoing prices for LEDs.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice Bright White,, February 6, 2014
Need dimmer bulb, Reasonable price. The color is nice not too yellow nor too white. Just what I wanted. Works great with Evolve dimmer.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Light Bulbs, May 12, 2014
This is a quality product. The bulbs are well constructed, heavy and ventilated. The 4000K light emitted seems to be right as I have 2700K, 3000K and 5000K lights to compare to. It is clean light not too harsh and white. The light dispersion is as good as incandescent or CFL flood lights not like a spot light, very happy. These are supposed to be 85W replacements, but that may be understated, as they are every bit of 1200 lumens and more like 90W to 100W replacements. I'm using 4 in my kitchen and it's more than enough light, as I like. I'm using 2 over a dining table with a dimmer and they dim to the lowest settings without issue. I'm very pleased with these lights and am recommending to friends. There is nothing in the big box stores that come close to putting out this much light under $20, but it's not the low price that will drive my future purchases of G7 bulbs, it's the design and quality of the product.

5.0 out of 5 stars Instant on natural light for a recessed can, March 26, 2014
Got this light for a recessed can in bathroom that had a Home Depot LED. Prior bulb was supposed to be a flood light but was just a spot light that had a 3 second reaction before it came on and then just shot light over the sink the rest of the room was in shadows. Flicked on the switch light after installing this bulb, came on instantly and the flood filled the bathroom with warm natural light. Simply could not be happier with the bulb. Will be ordering again.