Automotive Holiday Deals Books Gift Guide Books Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Indie for the Holidays egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Grooming Deals Gifts Under $50 Amazon Gift Card Offer bf15 bf15 bf15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $30 Off Fire HD 6 Kindle Black Friday Deals BestoftheYear Shop Now DOTD

on June 7, 2010
For a 2-bedroom apartment, may not need this GE45138 repeater. However, for any size beyond this or for multiple levels, you will definitely need to place perhaps multiple Signal Repeaters between essentially all >25ft. 3V cell sensors (i.e., garage and window/door sensors), along with the 9V battery motion sensors, if those placed more than 50-ft away from any GE Control Center. Each repeater takes up ½ of an AC duplex outlet, but includes a test button with LED indicator. If you have a choice, I suggest placing these repeaters closer to the sensors vs. midway between sensor and any you're essentially 120VAC boosting the weak 3VDC sensor cell transmission.

And these repeaters are not just plug-&-play, either: i.e., just by tilting the antennae 60 degrees vs. 90 degrees will often make the difference between bypassing interior wall wooden studs or fire-blocking to make this repeater boost sensors reliably 24-hrs. a day. If you're a "technoid", like me, and don't mind playing with your system---no problem. Conversely, if you're easily frustrated, you should probably avoid this GE Choice Alert system entirely, and just spend about $75/month for a professionally installed hard-wired service. But professional systems false-alarms occasionally too. Plus, then you will usually need to also spend $148/yr. just for a city alarm permit, plus likely get $75.00 city citations per more than 2 false-alarms per month.

My overall advice for technoids is to purchase multiple GE45142 controllers + GE45137 as a basis for designing your own "silent-alert" (with non GE phone dialer) vs. "audible-alarm" system and get creative, remembering that the 3VDC cell sensors will not have the radio-transmission range as compared to 12VDC equivalent Skylink sensors. But GE system generally much cheaper, plus GE's Controllers and ordinary 9V motion-detectors work great! Just remember, you'll have the flexibility of multiple and movable control centers as its primary advantage (vs. hardwired). Additionally, while the system sets up in minutes, you'll probably spend hours tweaking it over time. But that's the fun part!
on January 23, 2012
About 1.5 months ago I bought this repeater as part of an alarm system after someone broke into my garage. The system consisted of GE 45142 Choice-Alert Wireless Control Center with Door or Window Sensor Kit, 3 GE 45131 Choice-Alert Wireless Door/Window Sensor and GE 45138 Choice-Alert Wireless Signal Repeater. With the exception of the repeater I am delighted. For me however, the repeater was worse than bad. Multiple times the system would set up fine but by morning the switch in the garage (which was on the repeater) had dropped out. There was no indication that it was no longer working -- it just wouldn't trip the alarm when the door was open. In the evening I tested the zone to make sure the switch was working before setting the alarm but in the morning the zone on the repeater often no longer worked. I finally modified the switch in the garage so that the reed switch sensor was on a wire and the wireless part of the switch was about 6 feet away. For the last week the system works fine but the repeater is no longer a part of the system.
on March 26, 2013
Happy with this Alarm system. I just wanted something that would alert me while inside my home. This works perfect for my need.
on October 25, 2012
Some components of the Choice-Alert system have really weak radios. I found out the hard way when I got the keypad, which has a very small battery. It turns out that this repeater was necessary to make the keypad useful. If you get some of the weaker devices or if your house is more than 2 bedrooms, there is a good chance you will want a repeater.

The repeater was super easy to set up, and it works as expected. The downside is that it does not have a battery backup, so if electricity supply is disrupted for some reason, a part of your alarm system may be disconnected. This seems to be a serious design flaw. Fortunately, all the essential sensors in my house can communicate with the control center directly, so if power goes out, I will only loose the keypad. No big deal for me now, but it could be one day.
on September 30, 2012
This is a must have for any home that has 2 floors or more. I got tired of having to put fresh batteries every other week in my back door first floor sensor. I keep the arming reciever on the 2nd floor bed room to arm prior to sleeping and I would wake up with the reciever flashing rapidly because it lost signal with the back door or I couldn't arm it at all because it thought the door was open. I use my alarm as a first warning system to alert me of trouble so that I have time to prepare/perform defenseive actions if nessesary and the signal needs to be reliable. This repeater solved all the issues I had. I recommend this product to anyone owning a GE Choice Alert Alarm.
on November 16, 2011
I bought this because my control centre (on the second floor) would occasionally start flashing, indicating that the signal had been lost from sensors on the ground floor. There were also occasional problems with receiving a signal when the motion sensor was triggered.

Once I plugged in the signal repeater (close to the problematic sensors downstairs), there were no more problems. All signals are being received, and there is no more loss of contact with any sensors. I would say that this is a necessity for this home security system if you have a large property or multiple floors.
on May 12, 2013
This system worked reasonably well with just an occasional loss of connection between my garage (basement level) and the receiver (one floor up). however, since installing this signal booster, I havent had a problem. I put the booster on the same floor as the garage door sensor but under the receiver. I'm a little reluctant to give it 5 stars at this point as I still need to install another sensor in my shed but should that work out, I will come back here and give it 5 stars if it passes.
on November 13, 2013
The sensors on the basement walkout doors, which were furthest away, always indicating a weak battery. The distance between the doors and the base station was only about 35 feet, but it was a change of floor level and multiple walls between. I installed the signal repeater between the doors and the base station. It eliminated the weak battery signal without changing the batteries. Its been installed about one month now.
on September 7, 2012
This unit (or more than one unit)is ABSOLUTELY required for the Console/sensors.
Jasco/GE doesn't publish the frequecy range on the Console/sensors but the signals must be of a low signal output level.
I have a small one level 1100 sq ft house and am using TWO repeaters for the system to operate reliably
on October 11, 2011
This security system works well. Sometimes difficult to get programmed, but once programmed it works great and gives some relief of security and a good night's sleep. The motion detection works great and the other accessories go great with the unit. All accessories I added only made the system better.