Automotive Deals Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Enter for the chance to win front row seats to Barbra Streisand Water Sports

VINE VOICEon February 3, 2008
I live in an apartment and wanted to add an inexpensive alarm system that could serve as a deterrent to intruders. I know that this GE system cannot substitute for a centralized alarm system in which authorities/police are immediately notified, but I felt that the activation of a loud alarm could scare off an unsuspecting burglar and was far better than not having any alarm system. It could also serve to wake you up at night as soon as a window or door is opened, giving you precious seconds to call 911, freak out, pray, reach for your 9mm, etc. (I mean this jokingly, but nevertheless, it is better than waking up to an intruder by your bedside.)

The main door unit is extremely easy to set up. You unscrew the back and install 3 AAA batteries and program a 4 digit code. You can also set the device to serve as a simple door chime, instead of an alarm if you desire. You mount the door device and its accompanying magnetic sensor to the door frame and to the door. The kit includes double-sided tape and the sensors have openings for you to use a woodscrew. I just chose to use some double-sided Velcro tape but obviously, it would be better to screw the sensors in directly.

Once you activate the alarm, you have 45 seconds to leave your apt/home. When you want to enter your armed home, you open your door, and then are given 30 seconds to punch in your alarm before it is triggered. This alarm is very loud, and I believe will at least startle most unsuspecting burglars and also potentially wake up your neighbors.

The kit also includes 3 very simple window alarm and sensor pairs. These are very easy to set up as they only have an on/off switch (besides the battery test switch). You simply attach the sensor pairs to the windows and flip the switch to on. If you want to open your window, you have to flip the switch to off, then open. These are really just deterrents, but I believe effective. In theory, an extremely relaxed, prepared burglar could just open your windows, study the device, and realize that he had to just flip the switch off. While the door alarm is very loud, the window alarms are not nearly that loud and perhaps just acceptable.

Again, if you live in an apartment without any alarm system presently, this system is infinitely better than not having anything. The alarm is so shockingly loud, that I sleep better at night knowing that I would be notified the very first moment an intruder enters (minus the 30 second "grace period" for the alarm to trigger). This can be a part of a more comprehensive security plan, which could include stronger door/window locks, lighting, signs of alarm system, alarm, guard dogs, self-defense education, TASER, pepperspray, tactical flashlight, firearms, etc. You must tailor a security system to your own specific needs, budget, practical concerns, etc.
2525 comments| 826 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 23, 2009
After reading the reviews posted here, I was actually surprised at the loudness of the 3 window alarms. Perhaps the batteries were fresh, because all of the window and the door alarms I received are piercingly loud at 120-decibels.

The kits I received did come with all the necessary screws and double-sided tape to install the door and window alarms. But, I used double-sided Velcro tape (as recommended by a reviewer) and this has worked like a charm!

Using chime mode, the kits have been very effective alert systems for toddlers in the house. Also, if strategically placed, a burglar won't be able to see the window alarm attached to the frame. It would be nice if the chime made a double set of 'ding-dong' sounds instead of a single set, but this is the only mild complaint I have about chime mode.

Also, the door system is pretty effective in alarm mode. The alarm will continue to pierce even if the door is closed after being opened, so the only way to turn off the sound is to enter your 4-digit code.

All in all, more than I expected and I'm extremely satisfied.
33 comments| 226 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon August 5, 2009
As a college student living in a college town apartment complex with a fiance who is gone the majority of the week for work this alarm system allows me to sleep peacefully at night. As a worrier who is 26 years old I have read one too many accounts of terrible incidents occurring at night. I am attending a college in the heart of the Midwest and my apartment building is well lit and closer to cornfields than anything anyone would consider a threat. However, with college gearing up, kids getting rowdy, and a sea of unidentifiable people; one never knows what might happen...better safe than sorry. This system provided three alerts for windows (of which I have three) and while the alarm sounding is softer than the main sounding you will hear on the door it is more than sufficient for my space. There is no possible way I would not hear any one of the three if they were triggered. The alarm sounding on the door is just plain loud...I suspect it would wake the entire apartment complex were it triggered. There are two setting on the door alarm one is HOME...it is what I set in the evenings before heading to bed. In the HOME mode the alarm will sound if the door is opened 1/2 inch and it will continue to sound until the door is closed or the code is entered. The other mode the door offers is the AWAY mode...this is what I set when leaving. In AWAY mode once door is opened one has 30 seconds to disarm the system before the alarm sounds. Alarm can only be turned off when code is entered. The window alarms have a CHIME or ALARM setting on them. When switched to ALARM the alarm will sound when the window is opened 1/2 inch and continue sounding until the window is closed. This systems primary function is to act as a deterrent for an intruder. I would say that 99 out of 100 times the system will do its job at deterring crime. However, if an intruder is determined or has the knowledge of the system they will know that in HOME mode the alram will cease to sound once the door is closed again...just as the windows will cease when they are once again closed. In such a case I would argue that the system still buys one precious seconds they need to telephone for help...nothing is perfect. I would reccommend this system to any young girl living on their own or any parent looking to keep their children safe away from home.
11 comment| 140 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 23, 2013
Use the main alarm at the entrance door and two of the smaller alarms at the less used doors. Have grandchildren and just like that I can set it to make tone noise as door is opened so that don't slip outside accidentally without me. Easy set up and happy with product.
on February 27, 2008
The door alarm is pretty loud, but the screws to mount the sensors, which are mentioned in the instructions, aren't included. (double-sided tape is included.)

Also, it would have been nice if there was a way to set the chime/alarm mode from the keypad (with the code) instead of having to open it (with a screwdriver).
A 10-second warning beep before the alarm goes off would be nice too.

The window alarms aren't very loud, and also, they turn off as soon as the window is closed.
I put one on a sliding-glass door, and then discovered that... so, a burglar could open the door, come inside, and close the door, and the (not very loud) alarm would only go off for a few seconds.
They really aren't loud enough to be heard by a neighbor, even in attached condos.

I haven't checked to see how loud the door alarm is with the doors closed yet, but it is louder than the window alarms.

Can't really complain for the price, but still, I was hoping it would have been a little better.
1111 comments| 250 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 27, 2011
This product was useless for me as it can only be installed if door/window and jamb are flush. If there is any moulding around the door the alarm cannot be installed correctly.
11 comment| 72 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 27, 2011
My husband and I are currently building a house. One of our soon-to-be neighbors told us that they saw some random people snooping around the new house at 2:00 a.m. What are the odds that someone at a construction site at 2:00 a.m. has any good intentions? Enter: need for an immediate burglar alarm system. The house is wired for a professional home security system, but we can't activate it yet until more construction is complete. I looked up battery-operated alarm systems and decided to try the GE system kit because of the mostly positive reviews.

Overall, I think the system kit will fit most our needs. It's not the fanciest, but it's loud enough to wake up next door neighbors during the night and call attention to our house. I set the door alarm off while testing it out, and my ears were ringing for almost 30 min. As discussed in other reviews, the alarms might not be enough to protect against the more determined burglars, but I think it will ward off most. Plus, when combined with motion-activated floodlights and other defense measures, it becomes just another way to make burglars reconsider their plan.

Setting the door alarm code is simple, and installation is easy after reading the instructions. I like the door alarm, but I wish it was not so bulky. The window alarms are not as loud as the door alarm, but they are still pretty loud. After installing the window alarms, I realized that my positioning of them made the "alarm, chime, off" label visible to an outsider looking in. I am probably going to run a black sharpie across the label so it won't look as obvious that it's an alarm, and hopefully the burglar won't go right to it.

I have not come across any problems with false alarms yet. Hopefully that won't happen because the alarms are not on a timer and will continue to blare unless deactivated. Also, I live 30 mins away and will not know about any alarms going off unless a neighbor or police call me since the alarms are not tied to a phone system. The alarms are not controlled by a central unit, which makes it a little incovenient since I have to turn off all door/window alarms individually before the construction crew arrives. A little inconvenience, however, is still way better than having stuff stolen or the house vandalized.

If you go to Youtube and do a search for "GE Personal Security JascoProducts," there should be a professional video and you can see a demonstration of the window alarm. Also, buying this kit on Amazon is a good value. I decided to buy more of these kits, and I saw either the exact same or almost the same GE kit (it had a door alarm and three window alarms) at Lowe's going for $36/each!

UPDATE, November 29, 2011: It's been a few months now, and I've since installed a professional home security system. Overall, I am really happy with the GE alarms. Nobody tried to break in (fortunately), so we didn't have any real tests (no false alarms either!). A few things I noticed: First, one of our door alarms would require a few trys before recognizing the disarm code. Second, as previously mentioned in other reviews, it might be hard to install the door alarm if you have non-flat decorative door trim. The only reason I was able to use the door alarms is because I used the blue painters tape to stick the little door alarm magnet at an angle on the door trim, which made the doors pretty unsightly. You should be ok if you can stick a popsicle stick flat against your door trim at the site of the door magnet; otherwise, you may have get creative or consider not getting this product. I removed all the GE alarms after installing the professional security system, but I plan on keeping some for future use and giving others to family and friends.
on June 2, 2012
As others have stated door alarm is very loud window alarms not that loud. There is some misinformation in some of the comments. You do not have to use the chime mode. If you don't want the chime just leave it in alarm mode. If you want the door alarm to sound instantly when the door is open arm it with the left side switch set to home. The 30 second delay is only active with that switch set to away.
on December 21, 2015
This inexpensive alarm kit is great. So easy to install and the alarm is VERY loud. I bought two kits -- one for each door and some windows; however, I had to return one kit as there was not enough width on my glass door with shutters to mount the door alarm. It will be fine with just a window alarm installed on the door. The door alarm is programmable to allow time to enter or exit while it is set. The window alarms are either on or off and sounds an alarm if window is opened when on. Both the door and window alarms have a chime sound or siren according to your choice. The decibels on these alarms are higher than other inexpensive alarms. My home is 2200 square feet and I will certainly be able to hear if one of the windows or doors is opened that I have armed. What a very easy do-it-yourself setup. There are many YouTube videos showing the installation and sound. These can be screwed into door/molding/etc. or a 2-sided tape is included.
on March 13, 2015
Very loud .it hurts your ears witch is a good thing