GE NIGHTHAWK SPORT 9006 Halogen Replacement Bulb, (Pack of 2)
Price:$28.00 + Free shipping with Amazon Prime

Verified Purchase
I was torn between the Nighthawk bulbs and the Sylvania 9006SU SilverStar Ultra, Twin Pack. After reading some negative reviews about the lifespan of SilverStars, I opted to go with these.

Initially, I was worried about how blue these would look, versus the regular Nighthawk bulbs, but I was happy to find that there's really not much of a blue tint in the light at all.

The light is very bright and very white. I wouldn't put them against an HID system, but you can absolutely see a difference. Driving at night took a little getting used to, as the beam pattern doesn't seem to bleed the same way my stock headlights did.

Another concern I had was that oncoming traffic would be blinded by the extra light output. However, this hasn't been a problem. And, again, from a distance these lights look pure white, rather than blue.

December 2009 Update: Well, after just under a year and two months, a bulb died on me. Just outside of the 1-year warranty, no less. Since I'm just outside of the warranty, I decided to order the SilverStar Ultras.

In the meantime, I had saved the OEM bulbs when I put the Nighthawks on, and am pretty surprised to see the side-by-side difference. The throw and clarity on the Nighthawks really is excellent. It's a shame they don't seem to last very long.

February 2011 Update: Not so much an update as a tip: apparently, the SilverStar Ultras last just as long, and cost more. So, I'm going back to these bulbs.
1010 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on September 18, 2009
When looking for replacement head light bulbs I wanted something that was bright and covered a wide area to both sides since I drive through some country where wildlife tends to run across the road at night. My main thing was increased visibility from the generic bulbs I had used before, BUT I did not want to blind other people on the road. One of my pet peeves when driving at night are people with blinding headlights; evidently they think it's stylish.

All in all, I found exactly what I was looking for with these bulbs. I was not looking for blue tinted lights, but true to what I had read in other reviews it comes off as a white light, which is what I was looking for. I have been driving with them for approx. one month now and love how they have improved visibility while driving at night.

I definitely recommend these to anyone looking for effective, but not blinding, white lights. I also suggest buying them off Amazon.com - they had a GREAT deal going at the time I bought them.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on December 26, 2009
Verified Purchase
I had purchased the Silverstar's earlier this year and they did not even give a year. So, I went searching for something better and came across the GE Nighthawk Sports. There is absolutely no comparison!! The GE are much brighter, clearer, and from what I have read they last a lot longer. I love the cleaner color of the GE's. I still have Silverstars as my brights, but I don't have to use them. Also, the Silverstar's are more yellow than white. It's kind of looking through an old glass bottle. My advice: do not waste your money on Sylvania! That is another thing. GE's are much cheaper!
on December 11, 2010
Verified Purchase
Update: After being used for perhaps 150 hours at night, bulbs burnt out. Decided to go back to standard bulb design which is slightly less bright, but cost half or less as much and will last for many more years.

Original Review Follows

In general the low price run of the mill yellow halogen bulbs provide perhaps the best night time visibility as the eye is more sensitive to yellow light than white. Critical road signs also tend to be yellow and red for they reflect yellow light better. In addition, according to the Federal Register ( Vol. 66, No. 189 / Friday, September 28, 2001 / Proposed Rules), yellow light is preferred over white because it has less backscatter in the rain/fog and results in less glare from wet roads.

The yellow lights will also last significantly longer because the filament temperature is much lower. According to the official GE website the Sport Nighthawk bulb is only rated for 450 hrs while the more yellow Nighthawk version is rated for 800 hrs.

However, a whiter halogen light bulb may better reveal the true color of an object and makes white (i.e. snow), blue and some green objects more visible than yellow light.

Given the sale price of these whiter Nighthawks is comparable to a basic yellow halogen light, I chose to try these bulbs which reveal true colors to see if it would be a better option for my driving environment. They have improved visibility at night and provided more natural color differentiation.

The biggest waste of money are the blue/white halogens which have a very short life, are really the least bright of all because the eye is less sensitive to these higher frequencies, and they don't show up road signs as well. These unjustifiably expensive HID wannabes can't compare with a real HID which is typically three times the intensity of the best halogen bulb. It isn't the HID's white light but the intensity which makes the difference. But as noted above cool looking intense white OEM HIDs can literally blind the HID vehicle owner due to backscatter in rain, fog and wet road conditions. That is why you'll note some dedicated fog lights are intentionally yellow. The spikey spectrum of an HID compared to a halogen bulb is also very hard on the eyes.

Nor is it a good idea to consider aftermarket HID bulb upgrades as they require a special reflector technology and thus are illegal to just put into an existing fixture designed for a halogen bulb. There is NO WAY a HID retrofit bulb can work correctly in an existing halogen bulb refector - see the Federal Register referenced above.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on November 16, 2008
Verified Purchase
I had one bulb go bad in my 1999 Silverado so I got one of the GE Nighthawk two packs on the advice of a friend. Amazon had a great deal going with a rebate so I gave them a try. I can tell that the field of vision is wider with these new bulbs. The white/blue color is also nice. Now i just need to change my highbeams over to the same type of bulbs and i'll be set. You can certainly tell the difference between the Nighthawks and my current laser white bubls.
on December 13, 2008
I will admit that GE Nighthawks Non-Sport(and Phillips Vision Plus) are one of the few replacement lights that do help to naturally see further than many stock oem instead of just being substance however...

Many White lights do NOT give you better visibility over the older oem yellowish colour. The reason people believe it so is because a "hotter" looking colour K is associated with brightness to people and it inherently makes them believe they are better(many claim it's most true to the sun). In truth the standard yellow K is more efficient with the way human eyes work and will not needlessly blind your fellow motorists who have to deal with your white/blue monstrosities as well as decrease your weather glaring. I even see people with the wrong lights in their foglights fused >.< This change will force your eyes more near the road right infront of your own car instead of looking out farther as you should be for safety.

White lights are also much worse in the rain...however I do find that these Sport version Nighthawks are not super annoying and work well with other motorists if you have them properly aligned. GE NightHawks, like Phillips Vision Plus, not only have longer lifespans than other aftermarket "coloured" bulbs but also have proper colorless clear glass(Non Sport) and emit considerably more usable seeing light with less glare unlike said competitors' products.

"Most cars already stock fit with HIDs come with proper anti-glare devices such as a self-leveling system which automatically adjusts the lights so they do not point higher than they should.

The safe range normally goes up to about 5000K +/-. Headlights at 6000K aapproach PURE white. In fact, at 6000k, drivers will feel that traffic signs on the road will start to be glaring. Over 6000K, lights will start to turn BLUE; this is when your headlights are better off being off. Other than aesthetics, your headlights are practically useless in brightening up the roads. It simply becomes an irritant to other motorists.

Yellow:
-----------------
Purple:
28000 Northern sky
12000-30000 k Ultra Violet light (black light)" --stompdotcom

Retrofitted xenon lights are glaring because the reflective plates within the headlights are not made for HID bulbs. At a traffic light stop...You will notice that a factory fitted HID vehicle has its light cut off below the bumper of the car ahead and the headlight cut off is very defined and does not throw diffused light.

Retrofitted HID cars can have their light beams directed up to the license plate of the car ahead. This is done because originally, more resonance reflection is required due to the lower intensity of halogen fitted cars.

In summary, while these Sport version of the original Nighthawks do perform worse than said originals for viewing purposes they will give you a lower white/high yellow look more people seem to want and won't blind your fellow vehicle enthusiasts.
on October 28, 2010
Verified Purchase
I wanted to switch new headlights because my old ones were kind of dull and not as bright so I decided to go with these GE Nighthawk lights because I've heard Sylvania lights are crappy. Installed this yesterday and man do these two little suckers bright up the whole place at night. At first I thought I had high beams on but these really are bright and have a bit of a blue touch to it. They aim a bit high so you might blind some drivers in front of you but besides that, these are perfect!
on December 4, 2008
Verified Purchase
I bought this item pretty much only because i needed new bulbs and because of the buy 1 get 1 free deal + $10 off twin pack. They were very easy to install and the they were much much brighter then the bulbs i had on ( probably because mine were over 2 years old). I was really hoping for there to be a obvious blue tint to the light as indicated but there really wasn't. The bulb itself is colored blue but you won't see it when its lit.
on May 17, 2009
Verified Purchase
These do definitely increase the visibility distance when driving. Hopefully they last longer than the 450 hours they are rated for.
on March 23, 2009
PRODUCT UPDATE -Sept. 09, 2010-
Since installing them in March 2009, these babies are still going strong without a single issue. If I was still using SilverStars, I would probably be installing a 3rd pair now instead of writing this update. GE came out with the NightHawk Platinums, I don't know if they are worth it since it's double what these NightHawk Sports cost. Will try them once the price comes down.

Original Review -March 22, 2009-
It's a nice white light, at least looks whiter than stock halogens. I checked the stats on GE's website, the longevity of these bulbs seems to last 2 times longer than the SilverStar Ultras, but can't compare to the life of Sylvania's regular halogen bulbs. But SilverStars are whiter. I'm willing to trade a little "white-ness" for longer life.

Your Recently Viewed Items and Featured Recommendations