Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: GE DV1-CO Waterproof/Shockproof 1080p Pocket Video Camera (Citrus Orange) (Discontinued by Manufacturer)
Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Songs of Summer Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro STEM

on May 1, 2011
I'm giving this camera 5 stars, not because it takes the best pictures of any camera I've seen, and not because it has more features than any camera I've ever owned, but because this camera survived surfing, snorkeling, a dusty ride on the back of an ATV, and being dropped from a zip-line in the mountains of Costa Rica (take a look at the video that was taken immediately after it was retrieved). For less than a hundred bucks I would not expect any camera, waterproof or not, to survive even half the activities I made this bad boy a part of.

As far as the camera itself, it takes decent pics in good light. It does not have a flash, so you won't get much out of it if used at night or in a dark room, but with the sun is shining and the picture taker facing the right direction, you can snap some really high-quality photos with this sucker. I got some amazing shots that my Canon Elph has yet to shoot.

The user interface is a little confusing to figure out because at first it looks a bit complicated with a bunch of icons on the screen, until you realize that it's really just a basic point and shoot camera and the icons are just there to let you know what you are working with (how many minutes you've been recording or what your zoom level is, for example).

It comes with a little bit of internal memory, but I recommend you pick yourself up a SD card with a decent amount of memory so that you don't have to constantly be transferring pics. If you're planning an long, active trip somewhere, the last thing you want is your SD card running out of memory right as soon as things start to get exciting (speaking from experience).

It takes really good video/pics underwater. And being underwater does not change or affect the mechanical functioning of the camera from my experience. I took more pics and videos underwater and diving into heavy waves in the ocean than I took in a dry environment. And the camera still works as good as it did the first day I got it.

I will continue to use this camera for all active outdoor photos until it can't take any more. And then I will probably buy another.

EDIT: Please note that the video that is part of this review is of much higher quality when watched straight from the memory card. Although it uploaded at poor resolution here and appears grainy and somewhat pixelated, the video is actually crystal clear - you can even see the ocean in the distance beyond the mountains. This camera produces much better picture and video quality than meets the eye!
77 comments|141 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 30, 2010
I read loads of reviews for this type of HD cam and was all set to get the kodak playsport, but I was lucky enough to be able to test several, in my local electronics shop. This one is by far the best quality in my view, in not only movie quality but sound and still's. The feture I like best is while your taking movie, you just hit the camera icon and it takes a real good quality photo without disturbing your movie and saves it sepately. I read in some reviews of other brands that there good outside but rubbish inside, not this one, takes movie and stills inside just as good. The only problem I have is that my PC finds it hard to keep up, so I have to render it to a smaller avi size to convert to dvd, not a problem for me as I love doing stuff like that. P.S the sound quality is great as well, I'm well chuffed with my purchase.
P.P.S I use a 4gig sdhc class 4 card and it works great at all resalutions.
11 comment|150 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 21, 2011
Amazing little camera. It is waterproof. I took it in the shower. Strong water stream and moderately hot water. I found one tiny drop in the USB area. Then I went swimming in the pool and took video and stills under water to a depth of 3 feet. No water found in either the USB or SD card area. Then I took it kayak fishing and sailing in saltwater. Never dunked the camera in the saltwater but it did get splashed and handled with wet hands.

The camera saves video as .MOV files and stills as standard .JPG files. My camera with an 8gig SD card shows about 2 hours and 20 minutes of video record time (720p @ 30 frames per second). The manual gives just the basic functions and was not clear how to charge the camera. Had to figure how to spring open the USB port. The USB charging cable is only about 15" long.

The under water video and stills are amazingly good with bright sunlight in clear pool water. Your not going to win any photo contest with this camera. With the fixed focus 2.8f lens, sharp focus isn't the camera's strong point, but good enough for 4x6 prints with good light. This camera need lots of light. You'll be disappointed in the video of your 80 yr old grandmother blowing out 80 candles. I said fixed focus lens, I should mention fixed zoom lens. It has digital zoom. What a joke. Don't even thing of using the digital zoom. A noisy, unsharp mess in both the video and stills with digital zooming. If you need to zoom, use the professional photographers tip, "Zoom with your feet" get closer.

I am happy with my purchase. I bought it to use on my kayak in wet conditions. Considering the price of other waterproof point and shoot cameras, it's a great bargain.
44 comments|99 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 2, 2011
Very impressed with the value this underwater camera offers. Had read in advance of some concerns with water leakage, but liked that as many, if not more, had no complaints plus it was rated to 15 feet, not 10 feet like so many others. When I snorkel I can easily go deeper than 10 feet, so didn't want a marginal capability.

Pre-tested this camera for basic leakage before my vacation started (bathtub, so only 2 feet), but gave me some confidence. Did not need to touch the instruction manual to use it and found it much more intuitive than suggested by some of the reviews.

In Maui, it really performed! Very nice video images and the sound capture of some of the underwater's unique noises also was a bonus. I dove as deep as I could comfortably go, probably in the 12-15 foot range. Never saw an iota of leakage. I did rinse the camera in fresh water after each dive for good measure. Also, from time-to-time opened up the memory card and USB connector compartments to ensure the seals, etc. had an opportunity to dry out. Like that it can also be dropped 5 feet, but didn't put that to the test.

I purchased a 16 GB memory card and the recommended float/strap to go with it and confidently enjoyed at least two dozen snorkeling sessions with nothing but delight at being able to save the memories and share them with others.
on January 10, 2011
I really like this camera as soon as i got it - it's a great size - fits in the palm of the hand very nicely, looks like a mobile phone - people keep asking me if it is a mobile.

Well built or so it seems so far - tested in the pool, has sturdy rubber waterproof seals - the battery life is pretty decent also as the screen is no bigger than a nokia E72 - lasts long enough with a good power save function when not in use.

Not sure if i'm a fan of the USB interface ... click out the USB connector and plug it in directly to a port! i'm always paranoid i'll damage it so i tend to use the supplied extension cable to charge and transfer pics which can be slow when u have HD res movies...

Doesn't shoot on motion or sound detect - which would be a cool feature to have. actually this camera is relatively featureless but makes up for it with simple user interface and control.
Movie quality is very good a clean - the best i've seen underwater with good low light conditions - has a zoom function which is rather slow - but useful.

Camera does not take good still any closer than 1 meter at least.
it's also very wide screen - so make sure you shoot this thing the right way up or it will just look odd.

Easy to scratch the surface be careful to keep it in a pouch or it'll be looking shabby in no time ... black surround on the back comes off easily.
Apart from that ... one of the best around - buy buy buy
on March 13, 2011
I was a little nervous about buying this camera since it's so new and very little has been written about it. But I'm glad I did. The camera is easy to use, has good battery life, and takes great pictures and videos. I really like that the memory is expandable unlike other palm camcorders.
VINE VOICEon May 18, 2011
Color: Graphite Grey|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This is a very good, pocket-sized video camera for anyone on a budget. It takes quality video and pictures (assuming you're in good light - no flash) and sports a very sturdy build. I paid an almost identical price for a Kodak digital camera some years ago, and I can say this small HD video camera from GE is a far superior device.

I recently lent it to a friend whose young son used it to record dugout action during one of his little league games. Any camera that survives being passed around by fifteen 9 year old boys passes the durability test in my book. I initially had some misgivings because the USB jack is built into the camera, but it's actually turned out to be a nice technical feature. No more searching all over the place for those missing cables!

I dock it one star for the cluttered LCD screen interface. The shooting screen displays 14 different features, which, for a camera this size, only manages to complicate things. Chances are that someone looking to pay under $100 for a video camera doesn't need a histogram analysis.

Another thing to keep in mind is that you will absolutely need an SD card for memory. The memory is far too minimal to be of any use otherwise. But for such a reasonable price, I'd say it's a fair trade.
on September 2, 2011
 This video I have uploaded is shot with this GE Video Camera. I used it while diving through caves on Santa Cruz Island off the coast of California. The caves are about 15 ft deep. I have since used this camera many times in the ocean, and it has held up like a champ. It is very durable and very waterproof, even when used in sandy and salty conditions.

This is a great and durable underwater video camera for the price. Still pictures are acceptable, but not great. It can take close range pictures in well lit conditions pretty well. In low light or when using the digital zoom, the quality is sacrificed a bit.
VINE VOICEon May 19, 2011
Color: Graphite Grey|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
It might have the look and feel of a cell phone, but you can't make any calls on the GE Digital HD video camera.
What it can do, however, is take some very nice video at for a very affordable price.

With its rounded edges and compact design, the DV1 fits great in your hand and has straight-forward, easy-to-navigate controls, with one big button in the middle to make stopping and starting your shooting a breeze. Playback is equally easy, and you can view your video or photos while holding the camera horizontally or vertically.

We also like the Face Detection feature that works in both photo and video mode, where the camera automatically detects a face in the image. When it does so, a green square appears around the face and as you zoom, the box zooms along with it, keeping your subject in sharp focus.

The 2.5" LCD screen is certainly sufficient in size, and, since we use it primarily as a video cam, the 5.1 megapixels are fine for the occasional times we'll use it to take stills.

While we have yet to put it to the test for its waterproof capability--and don't really intend to--it's also shockproof, which we did discover after accidentally dropping it one occasion--and it has a built-in Li-ion battery. The software, meanwhile is is compatible with Windows 7 and all the stuff that came before it, as well as Mac OS X (10.3.9 or later).
on April 22, 2011
I have tried Flip cameras and wanted something similar, but I knew I wanted something waterproof to carry around everywhere. You know what they say: the best camera is the one you have with you.
I found this camera, seemed to have good reviews, so I thought I'd try it.
I've been impressed so far. I can't comment on the sound because I haven't downloaded anything from the camera yet, but the video playback just on the screen is impressive! I'm going on vacation next month and this is the only camera I'm taking.
5MP stills are plenty big, and you can shoot stills while recording video with no interruption.
The only reason it's not a 5-star review is there's room for improvement; controls are not exactly intuitive (I have to look at the camera to find the still shot button every time) and it doesn't do so well in dim light.
Other than that, great little camera, especially for the price!