on December 29, 2010
I am a 79 year old first time owner of a compact digital camera. Because of the size of the print and my sight limitation it was difficult for me to learn the basics.from the accompaning booklet. I personally found the instruction booklet difficult to follow. I have become quite adept at operating the camera because of my tenacity of going through trial and error functions in actually operating the camera and seeing the results. The more I operate the camera the more I am enjoying the operating simplicity of the camera. The results of the pictures are excellent
on January 14, 2011
GE has proved an American Company can come up with the goods!
This camera is so easy to use, that we took a risk, buying this for our 7 yr old grandaughter! She figured it out even before we did..never underestimate how brite kids are, particularly with gadgets.I originally decided to purchase it, rather than a Disney or other kid fad camera which were getting bad Amazon reviews, thinking she could use the Automatic settings, until she was older and able to use the manual setting for sunsets, back lit areas(a constant problem) and indoor work. My surprise came when she started using manual settings within 3 days! She takes pictures of everything, all the time,lol!
This camera is far better than our Nikon, and insist on a 5/1 zoom what ever you buy..I would like even higher ratio, ie, 10/1.Pix are outstanding, and I prefer to change batteries rather than charge them.Get the flashcard too, for added memory, thugh internal memery fine.
Good shooting!
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on May 21, 2011
I bought one of the GE A1455 cameras because I needed something inexpensive to give to my daughter to take pictures at school. I just did not want to go out and buy another camera in the price range of my Canon SD1200IS so took a chance and got the GE A1455. After having taken numerous photos with both the GE and Canon, here are my general impressions:

Enlarging the photo off of both cameras, the Canon is slightly sharper but I am amazed at how good the GE looked. How much sharper is the Canon, about 15% sharper - I had to blow up the photo to 16x20 inches to see the subtle difference in sharpness.

Color on both is pretty good, noise on both cameras is low at 100 ISO and both get a little more noisy at 200 ISO but pretty close. Once you hit 400 ISO, the Canon is slightly less noisy.

Movie mode on both is a draw since both do a VGA 640x480 video. Nothing close to the 720p I am used to off of my Samsung TL105.

The zoom is greater on the GE since it is a 5x (35-175) zoom versus the SD1200 which is only a 3x (35-105mm) zoom. Minimal distortion on the GE lens considering the amount of zoom.

The GE uses two AA batteries which are great since you can always carry extra batteries with you instead of having to buy a second expensive rechargeable Canon battery.

Image stabilization works better on the Canon than on the GE. What GE calls image stabilization is just the camera boosting the ISO to keep the shutter speed high and possibly eliminate hand shake at the cost of increased noise. The Canon does a great job of stopping hand shake even at a shutter speed of 1/30 sec. and at full zoom. If you take a lot of low light pictures, the GE will work at times but the Canon approach of true image stabilization is the only way to go.

Amazing performance for the GE concerning the price difference between the two cameras.
on August 11, 2010
I didn't expect that so cheap camera could do so good job. The functions of this camera very impressive. It gives you a lot thing to do easy way. Easy to operate, easy to use. I like it. Only I prefer to have lithium battery instead of two AA.
on January 5, 2011
I purchased this low cost digital camera to use outdoors. I cycle quite a bit and love to take pics while on rides. I was looking for a low cost camera that I would not worry about if I dropped or misused it. I have been using this camera for all my family photos. It does a terrific job. The inside photos are clear. There are many settings. The 5X optical zoom is unheard of for cameras in this price range. The only drawbacks I can see is that it is slightly bigger than the very thin pocket cameras and it uses 2AA batteries. About the batteries, they last a pretty long time. I would recommend this camera for folks who want a no hassle low cost camera to take everyday photos.
on October 8, 2011
I am the author of an (about to be released) book, "How To Use The Digital Camera You Just Bought!" It will be submitted to Amazon as soon as it is off the press. Along with technical proofers (pro photographers and photo instructors), the final typos proof was done by a friend who is a Franciscan Sister. Because she has taken a vow of poverty, I could not pay her as I did the others. Instead, she asked me for a modest camera that she could use in her travels. I ended up getting TWO of these, one for her and one for myself!

As I say in the book, we are only about 12 years into digital photography. When PHOTOGRAPHY was 12 years old, people were still making their own "film" out of glass plates! Things are changing fast and we have a long way to go before digital cameras settle in, feature-wise. While I appreciate cameras such as the Sony I just saw with a 30x zoom and every bell and whistle you can imagine, the average person wants less, not more!

Few folks a tutor ever use aperture priority, shutter priority and (gasp!) manual exposure. This camera does away with them, and even has a setting that supposedly uses artificial intelligence to pick a "scene" that works well.

The camera seems to have the same sensor as their superb GE X5, and also has a sharp lens. The only gripe I have (on both cameras) is that the automatic white balance does not like the compact florescent bulbs in my house, and the colors are sometimes off. Setting the white balance manually fixes that.

Given that fact that every six months a newer camera is out with bigger resolution and more features, perhaps buying an inexpensive camera more often is a better idea than buying a $400 model and keeping it for years. The $1,200 camera I bought years ago (5 mp!!) is now worth 50 bucks.
on April 27, 2011
Hi, I just bought this camera and after 4 days using the camera the battery reading went up and down. I tried looking for answers on the company's website, but they don't have any upgrades for the product. I even looked for answers on other websites, but I couldn't find an answer. Right now the problem with the camera is that when I turn it on with a new pair of batteries the camera shows, "Warning Battery exhausted". I've tried over 6 new batteries in the camera and all the results were the same.
55 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on June 10, 2011
Love the camera - just got here yesterday and I have been taking pictures with it ever since. Works like a charm. I use the manual mode instead of the auto mode and pictures are of great quality - at least for a point and shoot camera. The manual mode is really easy to understand and gives you great control over the quality of the pictures you take. One thing to be noted is that just like most (99.9%) of point and shoot cameras you can't get very good pictures at ISO 800 and above - the sensors are too small for that kind of quality - but you can actually use the additional noise you get at higher ISO levels to create spectacular effects in pictures. For ordinary pictures ISO 200/100 works just fine. You can adjust the shutter time to take pictures of night skies and all that, got some spectacular pictures of the skies above central new york last night. I really like the auto focusing on the camera with the AF assist beam. Works pretty effectively. You can adjust the exposure, the flash (not that much though - just stuff like forced flash on/off, red-eye reduction and a couple of other settings) the picture quality, the resolution (pixels), white balance (quite cool if you do it right, especially at night). You can also adjust the color settings between normal, vivid, black and white and sepia. Generally though I'd advise against using the vivid setting. It is also good at capturing moving objects and the video on this thing is just amazing - I mean I was really struck by the quality. All cameras I previously owned had really really sucky video. Also if you're careful you'll note that it has a wider aperture than most other cameras in its class so its gets better light, has a faster regular shutter speed and is less susceptible to being hazy due to your hand being unsteady and stuff. On the bad side it goes through batteries really really fast but I expected that and it might be better to leave the all-time-auto-focus (I think thats what its called) off. What I'll say though is that you'll be hard pushed to get a better camera for this price.
on March 16, 2011
I will be going to Hawaii later this year. While there we will be doing some water type activity and wanted to take pictures while out on the water. I wanted a camera that I could take out onto the water and not worry about it getting ruined. I was not about to take my Nikon digital SLR out on the water. I also wanted a camera that was of high enough quality that I can take pictures of at least 10mg. I read the reviews and ordered this camera. WOW. This camera is all the things I hoped to get and more. It's small and compact to put into my pocket, has a range of features that all work well. I especially like the Panoramic photo feature permitting you to take three photos and putting them into one wide photo. The 5X Zoom is enough for my purposes and the closeup feature of 2.7" works great. The camera has a good feel to it when you hold it in your hand. Construction seems pretty good. Only time will tell how well it survives the Hawaiian Islands. This should be great for Hawaii as a backup. The quality of the photos is fine....I am not a professional photographer and these are not for a magazine. You just can't go wrong for this this type of camera for this price. I paid $69.00 on Amazon plus $3.50 for shipping. I would certainly recommend this camera for the type of use I am going to get out it. However, I will also be taking my Nikon Digital SLR. Aloha.
on February 26, 2011
I bought this camera yesterday, and have been messing around with it, checking out the settings and all :)

On the outside: It feels kind of like cheap plastic. The battery compartment is a little hard to close for younger children (batteries try and push themselves back out). Compared to my other digital cameras, this is slightly heavier (not by much), and this, unlike my older camera has a panoramic mode. The zoom button is vertical (I like mine horizontal, but as long as it works, right?)The little square with the function menu and lighting and stuff is kind of small (maybe not good for you people with big thumbs! I accidentally hit the ok button while setting the date and had to go back to fix it, and I have one of those small asian hands!) Menu is kind of hard to figure out, but I guess it's okay once you get used to it/read the manual.

Picturewise: They're pretty good :) Video is great. My voice isn't really great when picked up by cameras, and if you're speaking from behind the camera, your voice is slightly muffled, but the picture quality is pretty great. Also, if you press the zoom buttons while you record, you can hear a click.

It doesn't know when to flash, I think. I try and take self portraits, and it flashes in my face, blinding the whole picture. Sooo, set it on auto, and it's less likely to do that.

Panoramic pictures are easy. It gives you a horizontal line to move the camera, and when you move it to the circle at the end of the line, it snaps a picture.

I like that it has face-finding and smile-finding. But the smile one is hard to use. You have to point it for a while o.O; Tell me if I'm doing something wrong.

Internal memory gives you about 8 pictures or so. Default settings, your pictures will end up in a dimension of 4320x3240. You can change it by hitting the function button before taking a picture (it's not in the photo settings o.O;). There's a 16:9 ratio, and a few other dimensions (photo size, A4 size, etc)

Takes pretty vibrant pictures if you have it on the right setting. Pretty clear pictures.
Probably great for children/teens who want a camera. I have a feeling this one will be pretty sturdy, even though it feels like sucky plastic.
review image review image