5.0 out of 5 stars sticking with the old fashioned bulbs
Love these incandescent bulbs I can see clearly with these for both reading and working around the house. I don't have to worry about any dangerous and hazardous chemicals in my home to clean up if one breaks, and to depose of I can just throw it in the trash (not driving 10 miles to a special disposal locations).
Published on August 14, 2012 by DEL

1.0 out of 5 stars Defective
Published 14 months ago by Gary

5.0 out of 5 stars sticking with the old fashioned bulbs, August 14, 2012
This review is from: GE Lighting 41028 60-Watt A19, Soft White, 4-Pack (Tools & Home Improvement)

5.0 out of 5 stars Cozy light, June 29, 2013
Heidi M. (Seattle, Washington) - See all my reviews
I was looking for some inexpensive bulbs for bedside lamps, so I didn't want a harsh type of light. I found these and so far have been happy with them.

Brightness: Because they are a bit dim, I'd say they're great for bedside use but in general you might want the option of a brighter light elsewhere in the room. On the box GE lists the range of 600-1049 lumens as "comfortable, inviting light". These bulbs are 840 lumens. In my experience it's light enough for, say, reading a book before falling asleep, but for doing your homework late into the night you'll probably want a brighter bulb.

Packaging: The bulbs came with adequate packaging to ensure they aren't likely to be broken in transit. However, I found them a little it difficult to remove from the box, and sometimes had to actually tear the retaining piece of cardboard off to remove a bulb. It's not a big deal for me, but someone with arthritis (for example) might have some difficulty.

The box says these bulbs are made in China. The word "China" is also stamped directly onto each bulb along with the other general information on wattage and lumens.

All in all not much to say about these bulbs. They do what you expect them to do and at $5.99 are a pretty good deal. Let me know if you found this info helpful!

5.0 out of 5 stars Illuminates the room it's in, July 3, 2012
Jim S. (San Jose, CA) - See all my reviews
In my experience, if you turn one of these on in a dark room, you will then be able to see the things in the room. I couldn't be happier.

1.0 out of 5 stars Defective, October 6, 2013
I was pretty excited when I got my case of incandescent bulbs so I could thumb my nose at those who would legislate them away from me. I screwed in the first bulb, pulled the lamp's chain and "BINK", it burned out. Hmm... it must be an anomaly. I replaced it with another and basked in the glow of the soft yellow light for about five minutes. "BINK" OK, I'm starting to see a pattern here. Third bulb provided illumination for an hour until I turned off the lamp. The next day when I turned it on, "BINK". This is annoying. Bulb four followed the same pattern as the first with a "BINK" as power is applied. The remaining bulbs were returned. What junk.

1.0 out of 5 stars Unless you're desperate to get some 60 w incandescents, avoid these, January 13, 2014
Cynesige (Virginia, USA) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
These are not good light bulbs. Don't be fooled by the GE label. They are made in Eastern Europe and are junk. I bought a couple of cases in a panic -- the whole "we'll never be able to get these again!" thing at the end of 2013. What a mistake. These burn out in a matter of days; many did not work at all. Total rip off. The only thing that can be said in their favor is that if you absolutely must have 60 w incandescent bulbs and can't find them anywhere else, there'll be at least a few in the case of 48 that will work.

5.0 out of 5 stars Get them while you can!, December 30, 2013
Incandescent light bulbs will soon be a thing of the past due to the new laws. I'm really cheap so I've opted to keep buying them until "the man" forces me to start buying the new expensive bulbs. These arrived intact and work as advertised (i.e. they produce light when you screw them into something). Great value.

5.0 out of 5 stars Incandescent light is an idea whose time has come!, December 19, 2009
Well, I finally used up the last of the whale oil that I inherited from my great grandpappy, and I found that the only gadget giving off light in my house was this here computer monitor. But computer monitors are way too expensive to put in every room, so I went looking for another way to get light into my house at night.

For years I had marvelled at these strange looking socket type thingies with what look like screw threads, only bigger, sticking out of the ceiling of many of the rooms of my house. What were they for? I desperately started searching the Internet until I stumbled on these here "lamps". They look awful funny for lamps. My lamps are way bigger and have pedestals and openings for lighting the wicks, but not these. These are like bulbs, flower bulbs, but they supposedly give light. "Gee", I thought. Maybe they should be called "light bulbs". Just an idea.

So, I ordered a big box of these "lamps" and as soon as I got 'em I started screwing them into these funny socket things in my ceiling. Some of them went on as I got them screwed all the way in, and some only went on after I jiggled these little plastic things that stick out of many of the walls in my house. Guess I figured out what they're for too!

Anyhoo, now I've got light wherever I want it an whenever I want it. Some of my friends are into electrically generated light too, but they get their light from these piggy tail looking things. They're envious of the fact that my bulbs have much softer light and come on immediately and don't make strange buzzy noises. They're amazed to find out that when I accidentally break one of these new "lamps", I can just sweep it up and throw it away without worrying about the gas inside them. Maybe they should switch to these! Now that I have, I don't know what I'd do without them.

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent light bulbs, May 5, 2008
Matthew G. Sherwin (last seen screaming at Amazon customer service) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
GE Soft White Long Life 60 Watt light bulbs are perfect for any lamp in your household that needs a 60 watt light bulb of medium strength. This light bulb burns brighter than a dimmed light bulb; and it is less harsh on the eyes than a light bulb of greater strength. The bulb lasts 1,500 hours--great value and efficiency! The glass is rather well constructed so that if you accidentally drop the bulb before you use it you just might save it from ruin, especially if you drop it onto a carpeted floor. A single light bulb lights a 10 foot by 10 foot room fairly well. Excellent!

Insert a new light bulb into the socket of the lamp (or whatever needs the light bulb) and screw it in until you feel that the bulb is snug and secure in the socket. Then turn on the lamp or whatever device you're using and--voilà! Your bulb works for the next 1,500 hours. That can be many months if you're careful with your energy bill.

The bulbs stay fresh for several months at least after you buy them; this is a great feature if you need to stock up on light bulbs for any reason. Obviously, these electric light bulbs must never go near water and or any other liquid. Dispose of them carefully so that any glass won't break and hurt anyone if they walk around barefoot in the house.

Overall, these 60 watt light bulbs by GE fit the bill very nicely. They are economical, easy to install and remove and they stay "fresh" for months after you purchase them. They take up very little room in any closet while you're waiting to use them, too.

I highly recommend these light bulbs for lamps or vanities that require 60 watt light bulbs.

5.0 out of 5 stars Finally, the soft, warm white we remember, December 27, 2013
K. Schrecker "KJS" (Owensboro, KY United States) - See all my reviews
We hate the new whites that are coming out in the new energy-saving bulbs. It's getting harder and harder to find the old, warm light from the bulbs we used to get. With a household of migraine sufferers, those new bulbs are just too harsh on our eyes. Glad to find these old-style bulbs, even if they use more energy and don't last as long.

5.0 out of 5 stars Incandescent Bulbs, December 18, 2013
GE has produced bulbs for many many years.Our Fine Government has now decided to make it illegal to manufacture and sell incandescent bulbs here in America. We are now going to be forced to buy Fluorescent Chinese made bulbs laced with Mercury. The whole Glo-Bull warming lie has produced a grand change in our Country.It has destroyed jobs, it has cost tax payers billions in so called Green -energy companies taking the money and then filing bankruptcy, and we still have no energy policy that works.
Behold the electric light bulb for some odd reason has caused Glo-Bull warming, but they said cows in the open field does the same thing, and so do airplanes and even people( pass the beans please )...anyway...the mindless folks setting in D.C. passed a law stopping the manufacturing and selling of bulbs we have used now for what ? A 100 years + ?And when Industry here was King and we had little to no regulations and we also had No Glo-Bull warming pandemic.
But what we did have was a Country that ruled, the Industry, with might and people had jobs and people were happy and every other Nation wanted to be like us and people came here and even was willing to wait to become citizens. They loved our Light Bulbs, our automobiles and our way of life.
Now for the past 40-50 years probably more, they come here illegally, want to take away our freedoms, our way of life and and our Government has pandered to them in every way. Now a few mindless drones have stood up and claimed our way of life is destroying our Nation and the world. Instead of real science facts and real science in general, they have mastered a plane to regulate our Industry to the place it can not survive here in America. SO Industry has fled over-seas, and they have trade with everyone, we spend and buy and spend so much our deficit is now well over $17 trillions dollars and with every passing day , these people who are suppose to be representing the American citizen, sells us out more and more, this Bulb fiasco is just one detail in an entire list of Government knows what's best for us, we are so dumb attitude the politicians have.
Now beginning Jan.1,2014 they will no longer make the 60 and 40 watt incandescent bulb. The 100 watt and 75 watt has already stopped some time back.
Now they are allowing these companies to sell their stock beyond that date, but however no more will be allowed to be manufactured or sold in the U.S. They demand we use a fluorescent bulb made in China and has mercury that has to be handled and disposed of in certain guidelines and can poison you if handled wrong. They claim by using CFL bulbs instead of the incandescent type it causes less green house gases ? Yet everyday Thousands of planes, automobiles , people, cows. chickens and they still , run, fly, eat, poop,burp,yell and scream and whine and cry, and get eaten and have more offspring that does the same and yet over-seas they still have a mass Industry going from Companies that fled America due to these regulations, that produce those same green house gases they claim caused glo-bull warming, and their automobiles, planes, people, cows , chickens, etc etc, still run,fly,poop,burp,yell,scream,and whine and cry,and get eaten,and have offspring that does the same and use LIGHT BULBS............
Thank you Amazon for selling these bulbs. I have stocked up bulbs because, I will Not use fluorescent bulbs I can not see by and have to be regulated on how I dispose of them when they do not last long enough to justify the $5 dollar a piece price I see in the stores everyday. Most people feel the same way. They claim these bulbs use less energy than the incandescent bulbs, but everyone I spoke to who have changed all their bulbs these past two years have had No reduction in energy consumption and their use. All I hear is the complaint they can not see by them, the cold and heat affects them, they do not last very long, and you have to be careful not to break them and or get a cut by them. They do contain mercury, that is harmful and being made in China we already know what that means, poor workmanship and poor materials.If you break them they have special instructions, people and pets have to leave room, it has to be air-out for 15-20 minutes, turn off heat and or air conditioning and clean it up a certain way, no vacuuming, use damp paper towels, place in sealed container blah, blah , blah.....when a NORMAL Bulb breaks clean up anyway you can throw in trash can.....so.it goes on.
And because i know soon these bulbs will be gone I am purchasing a few more to ensure my stock pile is enough in case some family did not listen and they may need a few, anyway, That is why i am buying more of these here.Most stores locally have already stopped selling them, Amazon has them at a fair price so I am buying them here.
My suggestion , buy them while you can, they soon will be another way of life taken away from us....what's next our Toilet paper ?
Do you have a Beday-Bidet yet ??

GE Lighting 41028 60-Watt A19, Soft White, 4-Pack