5.0 out of 5 stars sticking with the old fashioned bulbs
Love these incandescent bulbs I can see clearly with these for both reading and working around the house. I don't have to worry about any dangerous and hazardous chemicals in my home to clean up if one breaks, and to depose of I can just throw it in the trash (not driving 10 miles to a special disposal locations).
Published on August 14, 2012 by DEL

1.0 out of 5 stars Defective
Published 17 months ago by Gary

5.0 out of 5 stars sticking with the old fashioned bulbs, August 14, 2012
This review is from: GE Lighting 41028 60-Watt A19, Soft White, 4-Pack (Tools & Home Improvement)

5.0 out of 5 stars Cozy light, June 29, 2013
Heidi M. (Seattle, Washington) - See all my reviews
I was looking for some inexpensive bulbs for bedside lamps, so I didn't want a harsh type of light. I found these and so far have been happy with them.

Brightness: Because they are a bit dim, I'd say they're great for bedside use but in general you might want the option of a brighter light elsewhere in the room. On the box GE lists the range of 600-1049 lumens as "comfortable, inviting light". These bulbs are 840 lumens. In my experience it's light enough for, say, reading a book before falling asleep, but for doing your homework late into the night you'll probably want a brighter bulb.

Packaging: The bulbs came with adequate packaging to ensure they aren't likely to be broken in transit. However, I found them a little it difficult to remove from the box, and sometimes had to actually tear the retaining piece of cardboard off to remove a bulb. It's not a big deal for me, but someone with arthritis (for example) might have some difficulty.

The box says these bulbs are made in China. The word "China" is also stamped directly onto each bulb along with the other general information on wattage and lumens.

All in all not much to say about these bulbs. They do what you expect them to do and at $5.99 are a pretty good deal. Let me know if you found this info helpful!

5.0 out of 5 stars Illuminates the room it's in, July 3, 2012
Jim S. (San Jose, CA) - See all my reviews
In my experience, if you turn one of these on in a dark room, you will then be able to see the things in the room. I couldn't be happier.

1.0 out of 5 stars Defective, October 6, 2013
I was pretty excited when I got my case of incandescent bulbs so I could thumb my nose at those who would legislate them away from me. I screwed in the first bulb, pulled the lamp's chain and "BINK", it burned out. Hmm... it must be an anomaly. I replaced it with another and basked in the glow of the soft yellow light for about five minutes. "BINK" OK, I'm starting to see a pattern here. Third bulb provided illumination for an hour until I turned off the lamp. The next day when I turned it on, "BINK". This is annoying. Bulb four followed the same pattern as the first with a "BINK" as power is applied. The remaining bulbs were returned. What junk.

1.0 out of 5 stars Unless you're desperate to get some 60 w incandescents, avoid these, January 13, 2014
Cynesige (Virginia, USA) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
These are not good light bulbs. Don't be fooled by the GE label. They are made in Eastern Europe and are junk. I bought a couple of cases in a panic -- the whole "we'll never be able to get these again!" thing at the end of 2013. What a mistake. These burn out in a matter of days; many did not work at all. Total rip off. The only thing that can be said in their favor is that if you absolutely must have 60 w incandescent bulbs and can't find them anywhere else, there'll be at least a few in the case of 48 that will work.

5.0 out of 5 stars Incandescent light is an idea whose time has come!, December 19, 2009
Well, I finally used up the last of the whale oil that I inherited from my great grandpappy, and I found that the only gadget giving off light in my house was this here computer monitor. But computer monitors are way too expensive to put in every room, so I went looking for another way to get light into my house at night.

For years I had marvelled at these strange looking socket type thingies with what look like screw threads, only bigger, sticking out of the ceiling of many of the rooms of my house. What were they for? I desperately started searching the Internet until I stumbled on these here "lamps". They look awful funny for lamps. My lamps are way bigger and have pedestals and openings for lighting the wicks, but not these. These are like bulbs, flower bulbs, but they supposedly give light. "Gee", I thought. Maybe they should be called "light bulbs". Just an idea.

So, I ordered a big box of these "lamps" and as soon as I got 'em I started screwing them into these funny socket things in my ceiling. Some of them went on as I got them screwed all the way in, and some only went on after I jiggled these little plastic things that stick out of many of the walls in my house. Guess I figured out what they're for too!

Anyhoo, now I've got light wherever I want it an whenever I want it. Some of my friends are into electrically generated light too, but they get their light from these piggy tail looking things. They're envious of the fact that my bulbs have much softer light and come on immediately and don't make strange buzzy noises. They're amazed to find out that when I accidentally break one of these new "lamps", I can just sweep it up and throw it away without worrying about the gas inside them. Maybe they should switch to these! Now that I have, I don't know what I'd do without them.

5.0 out of 5 stars Get them while you can!, December 30, 2013
Incandescent light bulbs will soon be a thing of the past due to the new laws. I'm really cheap so I've opted to keep buying them until "the man" forces me to start buying the new expensive bulbs. These arrived intact and work as advertised (i.e. they produce light when you screw them into something). Great value.

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent light bulbs, May 5, 2008
Matthew G. Sherwin (last seen screaming at Amazon customer service) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
GE Soft White Long Life 60 Watt light bulbs are perfect for any lamp in your household that needs a 60 watt light bulb of medium strength. This light bulb burns brighter than a dimmed light bulb; and it is less harsh on the eyes than a light bulb of greater strength. The bulb lasts 1,500 hours--great value and efficiency! The glass is rather well constructed so that if you accidentally drop the bulb before you use it you just might save it from ruin, especially if you drop it onto a carpeted floor. A single light bulb lights a 10 foot by 10 foot room fairly well. Excellent!

Insert a new light bulb into the socket of the lamp (or whatever needs the light bulb) and screw it in until you feel that the bulb is snug and secure in the socket. Then turn on the lamp or whatever device you're using and--voilà! Your bulb works for the next 1,500 hours. That can be many months if you're careful with your energy bill.

The bulbs stay fresh for several months at least after you buy them; this is a great feature if you need to stock up on light bulbs for any reason. Obviously, these electric light bulbs must never go near water and or any other liquid. Dispose of them carefully so that any glass won't break and hurt anyone if they walk around barefoot in the house.

Overall, these 60 watt light bulbs by GE fit the bill very nicely. They are economical, easy to install and remove and they stay "fresh" for months after you purchase them. They take up very little room in any closet while you're waiting to use them, too.

I highly recommend these light bulbs for lamps or vanities that require 60 watt light bulbs.

1.0 out of 5 stars Burn out quickly, December 29, 2013
These particular bulbs GE 48415 are stated on the packaging as being made in Europe and there must be something wrong with them because they burn out within days after first being used! You have now been warned!

5.0 out of 5 stars Finally, the soft, warm white we remember, December 27, 2013
K. Schrecker "KJS" (Owensboro, KY United States) - See all my reviews
We hate the new whites that are coming out in the new energy-saving bulbs. It's getting harder and harder to find the old, warm light from the bulbs we used to get. With a household of migraine sufferers, those new bulbs are just too harsh on our eyes. Glad to find these old-style bulbs, even if they use more energy and don't last as long.

GE Lighting 41028 60-Watt A19, Soft White, 4-Pack