Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it The Jayhawks Tile Wearable Technology Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Grocery Mother's Day Gifts Shop now Amazon Gift Card Offer seeso seeso seeso  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite UniOrlando Spring Arrivals in Outdoor Clothing SnS

Size: 1-Pack/Soft White (2700K)|Style Name: 11W=40W|Change

on May 7, 2009
I recently bought four of these bulbs for my bathroom, to replace some others that had begun burning out. The good news is that these 11 watt bulbs are as bright, or even brighter, than the 14 watt bulbs (from a different manufacturer) that they replaced. The other good news is that there was little delay in achieving full brightness; snap on the switch and the bulbs light up the room, reaching full brightness in five to ten seconds. My previous bulbs used to light up at a fraction of their brightness and then take about 30 seconds to reach full intensity.

Having just received them, I can't comment on how long they will last, but if there turns out to be a problem in that department, I'll revise this review.

Now the best thing about these bulbs is the packaging. They come in that heavy, clear plastic packaging that is normally a real pain to open. Not these. The packages opened with minimal fuss and no need to resort to scissors or other tools, and no cut fingers.
on May 26, 2012
Well, these work well, but the product description can be a little misleading (which is why I gave four stars). The product description says "Instant On, Flicker Free," and I thought it meant that it would act like an incandescent bulb. That was wrong.

First, it's not quite instant on. After to hit the switch, there's a slight pause before anything noticeable happens. It's short, but long enough to make you think the lights don't work. Second, flicker free is true, but gives the wrong impression (turning on at full brightness). The lights have a somewhat gradual buildup to full strength, maybe 10-15 seconds. But they do get bright, seems brighter than the incandescent bulbs!

On a side note, the light itself is different than that from incandescent bulbs. This is expected when changing to fluorescent. Actually, I look more tan under these lights. So you pasty nerds might like these (and if you're reading a review on light bulbs, the odds of that are pretty high).

So, I would recommend this. Look tan, save money and energy - what's to lose?
on March 29, 2010
I bought three of these to replace the globe-bulbs in my bathroom. I didn't want to have nasty looking spiral-style CFLs there since they are exposed along a mirror. These work great. They DO take some time to warm up to full strength; maybe a full minute or two. Although, since this is in a bathroom, it is actually a nice feature, so that the lights aren't blinding when you first turn them on.

They were well packaged and protected, and arrived in good time (not the fastest, but not the slowest).
on November 9, 2011
I installed these bulbs in all of my bathroom lighting fixtures. They are a little slow to turn on to full brightness but then they provide excellent light at significant power savings especially since there are 6 bulbs in my light fixture.
on January 1, 2012
I bought this for my dear wife who is addicted to incandescent lighting.. feels leds are not bright enough.. doesn't like color of cfl's.. Bought this for a gift get her to try in our bathroom fixture which have 5 incandescent bulb each and she has not complained about it at all!!! This is a ringing endorsement.
on July 11, 2011
I don't know about all the technical aspect of this light bulb but I call it "the friendly vanity light". I was initially disappointed with the brightness. About a minute later I was very happy with it. After it heated up and came to full intensity it was slightly brighter then my other 4 vanity lights. When you wake up and walk into your bathroom and turn 5 of these on you won't be assaulted with eye searing brightness. It allows your eyes a bit of time to adjust to the brightness so you should be happy with it. I've only had it for a month so I can't speak to the longevity of this light bulb.
on February 8, 2013
When I pulled the package out of the box (well packed) I was a tad worried when I saw an orange package (rated 9 year life- yeah, right....) vs. the old blue one (6 year rated life) I bought a couple years ago. Got these for the bathrooms. To me it makes a difference because the bulb's brightness/output needed to match the others. I was relieved to find that the bulbs were exact replacements for the GE's I bought last time, just an updated package. These are the "daylight" type of bulbs which puts out a brighter/whiter light. Most others look "yellowish" in comparison. Now, if you walk into the bathroom and turn on the light, you can't tell which bulb needed replacing. Although 10 dollars/bulb from Amazon seems a tad pricey for decorative bulbs, most other places were asking about $50 per package. Something to consider.
on March 11, 2013
Update
Now that I have used these bulbs for over a month, I finally used a stopwatch to find out how long it takes for them to get bright.

These are in a bathroom and you get enough dim light to see when you flip the switch ( dim = maybe 15%-20% of full power)
To get to the 50% level takes a full 50-60 seconds
To get "bright" (80%+ takes a full 2 minutes.
Full brightness (when you can no longer tell there is a CFL coil in the globe) takes a little less than 3 minutes.

If the bulbs are off for just a few minutes (2-3) they come back on at near full brightness right away

I would still buy these, despite the slow warmup, but would downgrade my rating to 3 stars because 3 minutes is a long time to wait for full brightness.

If I could find them at a reasonable price, I would replace 2 of the 12 bulbs with LED's to get more light in the room during the warm up period.

My initial review:

I have a master bath with 12 bulbs - a real energy hog with 12 - 40 watt bulbs, and these lights are on about three hours per day, which in California translates into 45 cents per day/ $14.00 per month/$165/year, so these 12 bulbs should save me $122 per year., I replaced all 12 clear bulbs with these white CFL's and these are much brighter than the old ones.
These lights are a bit dim for the first 15-20 seconds if you start them cold, and even though they are sufficiently bright after 15 seconds,, it is about 45 seconds before they really reach their peak.,but I can live with that small inconvenience for the sake of the money I save.
I am going to put these in two other bathrooms - one has six bulbs, the other has 4. In those rooms, I am going to use one conventional bulb and the rest CFL's. That way I get a bit more initial light, and still get significant cost savings
on June 2, 2015
Bulbs buzz, are very dim (especially compared to their incandescent counter parts) and are off colour. The advertized soft white rating is not correct and the bulbs buzz when turned on. Also, there is up to a 3 second wait time before they even light up from the time the switch is thrown and an additional 2-3 seconds until they reach anything close to their "Peak" brightness (which is very dim).

Do not purchase these if you have purchased any high quality CFL's in the past. These bulbs are horrible.
on July 31, 2015
These are great CFLs - they put out a great full spectrum light, they're bright, and they last a while. I tried cheapo knock offs, and they did one by one within 6 months. These are 2 1/2 years old, and I have only replaced 1 unit. The light from the older bulbs are identical to the new one.