5.0 out of 5 stars Very durable so far even, in sub zero temperatures.
Published 20 months ago by Joseph M. Lindsey

3.0 out of 5 stars Very slow to illuminate
Published on January 11, 2012 by JC the engineer

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars Very slow to illuminate, January 11, 2012
This review is from: GE Lighting 85384 14-Watt Outdoor CFL Post-Light, 60-Watt Replacement Energy Smart Light Bulb (Tools & Home Improvement)
I bought 2 of these about 2 months ago from Amazon. While they have been adequate in illumination, they are VERY slow to warm up and illuminate. Do not use these where you wish light to come up within 5 seconds. I estimate they take 1 minute to come up to 80% of their brightness. Both bulbs I purchased do the same thing, so I assume this is their normal operation. I have only had these during the winter months (although temperatures have been moderate), so I cannot comment on how they will work in warm temperatures. If you need a porch light to turn on when someone is at the door, these are the wrong choice.
Cold weather update: In temperatures below 30 deg F., expect 3 to 5 minutes to illuminate to a useful level. Seems as if no one at GE tested these in winter.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very durable so far even, in sub zero temperatures., December 31, 2012
Been using these for over a year and just bought some more for our other outdoor fixtures. Not as bright as a halogen obviously, but uses a lot less energy and holds up to freezing and scorching temps better than any post light I have tried in the last 10 years. The plastic lens/cover diffuses the light nicely. This bulb's color temp is the closest to an incandescent or halogen of any CFL I have owned.

4.0 out of 5 stars So Far, So Good..., December 8, 2013
I purchased 2 of these bulbs in early May 2012 for dusk-to-dawn use on my entry gate columns. They have been in use for 10-14 hrs. per night (depending on season) since. That's approx. 575 days x avg of 12 hrs/night for almost 7,000 hrs. of operation. They haven't missed a beat. Very bright, do NOT flicker at all, they come on fairly quick, and I am totally satisfied to this point. I have purchased another brand (from local box store) similar to these CFLs for my porch only 2 months ago. Those bulbs constantly flicker and one of them has already went out. They were advertised as being for "indoor/outdoor use" whereas these GE bulbs are advertised specifically for "Outdoor use". That may/may not be the difference - plus the other bulbs were an off-brand. They were only $10 for two (these GE Outdoor are $9 for one) but, if these actually work long-term as advertised, they are definitely worth it.

I gave this item 4.5 stars rating - will upgrade if they last the full 10,000 hrs. as advertised. I will add to/update this recommendation if/when these GE bulbs finally go out.

ADD-ON NOTE: Just wanted to mention that these bulbs are slightly longer than the ones you generally find in the box stores. These are approx. 4.25 inches long vs. 3.5 inches for the ones purchased locally.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best CFL for Outdoor Use (gives off a warm incandescent glow), November 23, 2011
Let me start off by saying these are good bulbs, but I hate CFL bulbs and will never use them inside my home. Outside my home is a different story.

Inside, I've had two different types of CFLs fail and the plastic base melted when they failed, filling the house with the smell of fire. After the second time, I've banned them from inside the home. Both times, they were in table lamps and both in the preferred upright position. There is no excuse to put something like that back in my home.

Outside, I have front post lamps attached to a brick wall, so I'm not worried if they scorch when they fail outside because it will not catch my house on fire or set off the smoke detectors.

These are the only CFLs I've seen that truly do have a lovely warm incandescent glow, like a "real" lightbulb. My post lamps have frosted glass and you would never know there were CFLs inside them. The only unfortunate part is these CFLs still give off that "hazy" light. Maybe just my eyes notice it, but CFLs give off a haze, almost like a fog to the surroundings they illuminate and I guess that's just part of CFLs. While not absolutely perfect, these bulbs have thus far exceeded my expectations.

Just so you know, there is a guarantee on the packaging and I have saved that along with the receipt, just in case these fail in less than two years. I know they say they can last up to 6 years, but that's only four hours of use per day. At the cost of these bulbs, they'd better last at least two years. The biggest reason I bought these is we're sick of changing the bulbs on those post lamps and ours are very difficult to change the bulb. If these don't make it the full two years with about 8 hours use per day, I'll be back to update.

So far, very pleased with my purchase and would buy these again.

***UPDATE: Sept 16, 2012***
Still going strong! To be honest, I leave these on about 12 hours a day (most days) and 24 hours a day when I'm not home or when I forget to turn them off which is frequent. They spend way more time "on" than "off". I cannot say how many hours they've been on over the last year, but it's a lot of hours and thus far these have far outlasted any regular bulb and give off a good amount of light that doesn't look like CFL from afar.
One more thing I forgot to mention in the original review: These do have to "warm up" when you turn the light on. It takes a couple of minutes to fully illuminate. These are not bulbs for people who quickly want to turn on/off a porch light. These bulbs are meant to be left on for long periods of time. Like I said, I turn mine on at dusk and off at dawn most of the time, but in the winter they were left on nearly all night/day. Our front door outside is like a cave without light and I prefer to keep my doorstep illuminated at all times when it's dark outside. If nothing else, people never know if I'm at home or not because I often forget and leave mine on all day. It gives me added security if I don't make it home before dark (particularly in the winter when it gets dark so early) to have these lights give off a warm, inviting glow from my doorstep to greet me when I get home.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Product, July 12, 2013
I initially used interior household bulbs for our outside post light. However, their service life was measured in days, especially in cold weather. This product is working perfecty so far and does not seem to be affected by cold temperatures, which destroyed all of the previous bulbs. I have already purchased a second one to replace the current bulb, when it is needed..

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Outdoor CFL Light Bulb, September 14, 2011
This is really a great light bulb. I was a little worried that it would be too large for the fixture I was going to put it in (not a post lamp), but I was pleasantly surprised that it is just slightly bigger than a regular light bulb. The plastic cover diffuses the light very well and the light is a warm color (not super bright white).

2.0 out of 5 stars short life, May 24, 2012
We purchased 10 of these and have hardly used them over the last year (they're over a patio with no furniture--yet). 4 are already out!

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, July 10, 2014
Thanks

4.0 out of 5 stars Works well in a "regular" situation. However, I ..., July 9, 2014
Works well in a "regular" situation. However, I bought these for an outdoor, motion detector/dimmer lamp and they don't dim.

3.0 out of 5 stars Lasted 16 Months. Not Really Great., July 7, 2014
I have two post lights that I bought these for. As others have said they are slow to light up, so if you need to scare a prowler...these aren't for you. But on the plus side they have a nice soft white color instead of the blue xenon looking lights my neighbors have. They also look pretty nice since you don't have to look at the spiral the way you do with regular CFL bulbs.

One of the two bulbs I purchased 16 months ago just burnt out. I estimate this is just over 1/2 of the 10,000 hour useful life of the bulb. I consider this unsatisfactory despite the plusses of these bulbs. I go have gone through other types of bulbs in these post fixtures quickly as well, but they didn't cost as much as these did. I suppose for replacement I should check out LED lights and see if they will last, because these weren't much of a success other than the 14-watt sipping they did instead of the 60-watt incandescents.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›