5.0 out of 5 stars A Different Perspective
So I'll write a review on these from a different perspective, as I'm actually using them on my 10 gallon aquarium.

Normally the hoods on these tanks use a old style T10 tubular incandescent bulb. It's a long skinny tubular bulb and not your typical house light.

Published on February 27, 2012 by Geomancer

2.0 out of 5 stars CFL 10 watt
Fairly bright light bulb. Mine was short lived and each lasted less than a year even though they were not used very often.
Published 18 months ago by Shawn

5.0 out of 5 stars A Different Perspective, February 27, 2012
Geomancer (Northern USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: GE2PK10W Spir Fluo Bulb (Tools & Home Improvement)

Well, they are hot (at 40W each, so 80W total) which can heat the tank water, they are also hard to find and what you do find is expensive. Usually you will only see them in pet stores which charge far higher than here or hardware stores.

Well, I also fully plant my tanks with live plants so I need a bulb with the correct color spectrum, and at 6500K these bulbs are perfect for that. I was able to find T10 tubular 6500K fluorescent ones at a hardware store, but they wanted nearly 10 bucks per bulb, which is about what this two pack costs. I was a little worried on if they would fit, since these are spiral and not tubular. Well, they WERE a tight fight, but they do fit and so far have worked wonderfully.

So, if you happen to be looking for bulbs for your fish tank, aquarium, or terrarium these will work just fine for you.

Update: I wanted to point out that while in Walmart I noticed they stock these, but in a 3 pack box (same GE brand) instead of a 2 pack blister pack. They sell the 3 pack though for only four bucks which is far, far cheaper than Amazon here. Great lights, but check your local area before buying.

5.0 out of 5 stars More expensive than bargain CFLs but provides perfect light for reading, February 4, 2012
This review is from: GE2PK10W Spir Fluo Bulb (Tools & Home Improvement)
I purchased these bulbs for a floor lamp my wife recently got for reading. The lamp takes 5 40w equivalent bulbs and I had picked one of these bulbs up on clearance at some point - I don't remember where or when. The bulb really does provide very bright white light that makes reading much easier and when compared with a bargain CFL bulb I have in a table lamp in the same room, the difference was very noticeable.

I looked for 40w equivalent CFLs with similar Kelvin Ratings (these are rated at 6500 which is "daylight" rated) and although I found cheaper bulbs that had lower Kelvin ratings (they look more yellow than white) I was not able to find any either in local stores or at many other places online with the specs I wanted. At just over $5 a bulb, these are significantly more expensive than many $1 CFLs you can get but I decided to pay a little more for the specific bulbs I wanted.

I picked up 2 - 2 Packs (4 bulbs total) and they came completely wrapped in bubble wrap with the plastic air bag type padding in the box as well. They arrived undamaged and are perfect for reading. The bottom line is that you can find cheaper 40W equivalent CFLs out there but if you are looking for light for reading, the extra expense is well worth it with this product.

I can't speak to the replacement life of this product yet as I just installed them but I think it is safe to say the package claims of 5 years are greatly exaggerated. In my experience I generally get about 2 years or so of normal use out of a CFL and I would expect these to perform similarly.

5.0 out of 5 stars Super Energy Savers!, December 26, 2013
This review is from: GE2PK10W Spir Fluo Bulb (Tools & Home Improvement)
The moment I came in to my new apartment, I immediately changed all the incandescent bulbs into these energy-saving compact fluorescent light bulbs. My electric bill dived down into as much as $23.48. I'm very happy I am using very efficient light bulbs and save a lot! They are pretty bright for the purpose I bought them for. They're all great!

2.0 out of 5 stars CFL 10 watt, January 23, 2013
This review is from: GE2PK10W Spir Fluo Bulb (Tools & Home Improvement)

5.0 out of 5 stars If You Want BRIGHT At Ten Watts Then This Is The Right CFL, June 12, 2012
This review is from: GE2PK10W Spir Fluo Bulb (Tools & Home Improvement)
Some folks believe in checking color spectrum before buying and choosing a lamp "color heat" based on conditions they have deemed appropriate for the usage. I fit into this category. If I want to accent living room decor I'll choose something in the 4,000 range. For working, reading, or for night lighting where a lamp will stay lit and illuminate a large area for twelve to fourteen hours, I choose pure white, 5,000 to 6,500. I don't see well outside with low spectrum yellowish sodium lighting. When reading, I don't wish to have a book "look good" with yellowish lighting, I want to read the print on the pages. For my own use, a 10 watt GE daylight CFL lights my way to the bathroom at night every bit as well as a 26 watt "soft white" CFL. Where I live scorpions can make their way into living area floors, and the white light definetly illuminates them better than decor "soft white". The GE lamp seems to be appreciably brighter watt-for-watt than its competition, and I have yet to find someone who will disagree with that observation after checking it out for themselves. So it pays to pay attention to color spectrum. Writing about color spectrum, I may as well add another crabby thought: People jump through hoops to try and keep night time insects from entering when they open their front or patio door. Ever think about placing a reflector floodlamp (or flood lamps) twenty feet away and shine the light toward whatever you're trying to illuminate?

1.0 out of 5 stars Very cold, harsh light, February 10, 2012
This review is from: GE2PK10W Spir Fluo Bulb (Tools & Home Improvement)
"Daylight"? No way! These produce an extremely cold light, not the warm, inviting light you want in your home.

You know those super-bright new headlights? That's the sort of obnoxious light produced by these CFLs.

GE2PK10W Spir Fluo Bulb