I have had this range for about a month. It boils water incredibly fast! I have experimented with different ferrous cookware, and found that the humming reported by others is most noticeable with light-weight cookware when in the power boil mode. Heavy-weight cookware produce very little humming. I love the way that you can control the heat immediately, like with gas, with the added benefit that it heats up much faster than gas. The oven is accurate and cooks well. I have yet to use the warming drawer, but I can see using it for keeping things warm if dinner is delayed.
Updated after about 2 years of use: I reduced my rating from 5 stars to 2 stars, and would no longer recommend this stove. After about 18 months, the oven door suddenly refused to close completely. There are only 2 of us in the home, and neither of us ever put any weight on the open door to cause it to "spring". We had a GE tech out to look at it and he was not able to determine the cause or the fix. When using the oven, we have to keep a chair propped against the door to make the door close completely. Not good at all! My wife has done some research on the internet and found this to be a fairly common complaint.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
Like many other reviewers here, I too did tons of research before settling on this GE. I had a cheapie GE $200 stove at our first house, which baked and worked better than the $1300 Kenmore I bought 8 years later. SO missed my GE stove! GE stoves have always been know to be true workhorses so, that said, when we moved this time, I was going to be SURE I bought a GE. They're just pretty hard to beat on even baking - I bake ALL the time and well, again, they just are amazing (with a house full of boys, you KNOW how much I'm cooking!). Anyway, I stumbled onto this stove and after reading how it worked, I was hooked. It is the number 1 stove on Consumer Reports and although that is good, I've also come to realize that you HAVE to read what others say about it too. I started looking in January, 2012 and by March, I realized that was it. There was nothing better or cooked more evenly than this model. And, after getting a good deal on it at Sears, I bought it.

Honestly, if anyone ever broke into our home, I swear this stove would be the first thing taken! All of my girlfriends are about to walk off with it, as well as my family members. It's just cool to see how fast the pans heat up, all of them too - not just the fast boil burner, and how evenly everything cooks on the cooktop too, even with cheapie pans! You HAVE to have pans that, when you attach a magnet to the bottom, the magnet sticks, or the stove will not work. It is magnetic, and only stays on as long as a pan in on the burner. Saves TONS of electricity that way, no more accidentally leaving the house and wondering if you've turned off the stove (the oven, however, does not have an auto shutoff). The timer is quite nice and easy to use and to be honest, induction is IN just in case you're trying to sell your home. The pans stay hot so you can cook food on a much lower temperature than normal. SO much fun cooking on this guy!

The only downside that I can see you might have is that you probably have all aluminum pans like I did - none of them work on this stove. Brands that do: Tramontina (not all of theirs - just some of the stainless steel. Make sure the description says, "Tri-ply" or triple encapsulated core. What that is is the manufacturers are still using aluminum as the core for heat distribution, but it's triple bound by steel - thus making it usable on this cooktop.), cast iron (make SURE you get the enameled ones, the regular ones will scratch the stovetop but you can, however, use regular cast iron inside the oven), Le Creuset, and Circulon Symmetry, to name a few. DON'T buy Cook's Essentials from QVC - they are very, very poorly made and although they say you can use them with induction, they ruin your food and the entire induction experience. Then they top that off by falling apart - in less than a month! Ugh!

So, if you're on the fence, get off! SO in love with this thing that my husband told me that if I go before he does, he's burying me with it! J.P. Morgan did a great thing in creating General Electric so many years ago. Innovations like this is what keeps America strong - they're made in the USA TOO!

A BIG THANK YOU to GE for this stove - THIS IS SO AWESOME!

Highly, highly, highly recommend (I guess you already knew that!)!!!!!
on May 10, 2013
After much research, I bought this GE Induction range to replace a perfectly good traditional gas range. Since it's induction, I had to replace my well used and well maintained anodized aluminum cookware with new multi-clad stainless cookware and install a dedicated 220V line as well. So I'm well beyond just the purchase cost of this range. But I can say that I love using it. I know it won't really pay for itself since electricity is more expensive than natural gas where I live. But, I also live where it gets very warm, okay really hot and humid in the summer and I hated turning on the gas range to cook. I know the old adage "if you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen", only I like to cook and I was looking for a practical way to reduce the heat load in my kitchen. This range is perfect for that. It only heats up the pan and what is in it, so that there's no excessive heat build-up. Though I haven't yet experienced the full blast of summer heat yet, I can tell already that cooking on this range is a much cooler proposition than cooking with gas. Perhaps it's the better insulation from my older gas range, but the electric convection oven also manages to keep more heat inside the oven space. Of course, when one opens the oven door it can steam up my glasses, but if I have something in the oven, it doesn't radiate heat everywhere.

So, why only 4 stars? Well, it's the ceramic range surface - it scratches like crazy. I'm a bit of a picky guy, so I try to keep things well maintained, but in spite of my best efforts, the top is already showing excessive scratches. I have followed GE's recommendation and use Cerama Brite on it, and it does shine the surface nicely, but the scratches are still visible. I haven't used any rough bottom pans, and there isn't any sharp instruments, knives, etc. on the surface but it still managed to pick up a nice sharp round scratch that probably came from my very new Circulon pan (which is made for Induction cooking). How it happened remains a mystery, but if you're the kind of person who likes everything shiny, then you will be spending a lot of time trying to keep the surface from picking up hairline and deeper scratches. Because it's a slick surface, it's too easy for the pan to move off of it's center on the magnetic core requiring two hands to do simple tasks like flipping an omelet. Coming from gas, I'm used to shaking the pan which isn't a good idea with induction. If the range isn't making contact with the base of the pan, the magnetic field is interrupted and the cooktop will shut off after a few seconds. One can still lift the pan, shake quickly, then return it to the range before the hob shuts off. I understand it's probably a safety shut off, but I do wish that there was a way for the owner to adjust the amount of time that the range allows you to break contact before shutting off.

My wife complains that the all electronic touch control panel doesn't always accept inputs requiring repeated attempts to turn on the oven, or adjust the temperature. I haven't really found that to be as much as an issue, though I have experienced a momentary lag in the range showing the proper cooktop setting.

Still, all in all, it's a really wonderful way to cook - very fast and, with a little practice, very precise cooking temperatures. I kind if feel like I'm cooking in the Jetson's kitchen. Now if GE could just figure out a way to make the surface top a little more scratch resistant, I'd be giving it 5 starts for sure.
on October 19, 2013
We bought or GE induction range (30" Profile, slide-in) in July and it still(end of October) is not working properly! To be specific: the large "burner" doesn't work at all and the oven's temperature is wa-a-ay off. It took quite while for GE to send out a repair man (who confirmed the above problems). We scheduled a date for him to fix it, only to be told that the needed parts are back ordered (till December!). So it will be at least six months before I have a fully functional range. This is, supposedly, a premium quality product. Buy it only if you want LOTS of headaches.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on March 23, 2014
I'll first justify my rating here, before giving a detailed account of our ordeal.
- One star removed for GE being a company that treats its customers badly
- One star removed for Induction Range not being widely used in the US. (See ramifications below.)
- Two stars removed for this being a relatively higher end model of GE Induction Range. (Again, see ramifications below.)

The following is a simplified outline of events. Most phone calls were not fruitful and therefore not mentioned here.

We bought this range in early Nov. 2013, and it was delivered in late Nov. It broke down in less than a month. In the sense that it was totally dead. When we contacted the seller for returns, we were told that happy for us, the range was covered by GE's warranty. In other words, we couldn't.

We contacted GE for repairs. The first time slot a repair person was available was in three days. When the repairman came, he read the code on the range, and went to his van to check. Eventually he came back with bad news: not only he didn't have the part needed, it was on back order until January. He said that we'd be offered a replacement unit. But we had to call their 800 number ourselves.

It took another day for GE to "research" the case, in which time they verified that the part needed for repair was indeed not available, and the back order would be filled no earlier than mid-January. They offered us a replacement unit with a different model number. While on the phone, we did a quick research, and found that the replacement model was not available on Amazon, and on GE's website it was listed for $700 less than the model we bought. We asked for compensation of the price difference, and were told by the agent that day (Kaitlin) that she could only arrange for the replacement, and we had to wait until the agent whom dealt with our case first (Angela) to discuss monetary compensation. Considering that without the replacement we were set to go through the Christmas season without a working range, we agreed to have the replacement.

The replacement came in less than a week (i.e., we were without a range for more than 10 days total) and worked fine since then. We liked the fact that it heats very quickly. We didn't like the fact that we had to replace all our cookware, but are resigned to it.

Because the price we paid on Amazon Marketplace was less than the list price on GE's website, we also tried to find the unit on the Internet. It was available for about $700 less than what we paid for this unit.

In January, 2014, when we were in contact with Angela, she told us that GE guideline was that a replacement unit only has to be functionally equivalent; no monetary compensation was given. When we protested, she (yes, Angela herself) reviewed the case and found it totally satisfactory. She even sent us a letter to that effect.

In February, we complained through NYS AG's office. A different woman, Kelly J------, took the case. After some days of research, she came up with an offer of $200, plus a one-year extended warranty. I did not think the offer fair, and rejected it.

In March, we complained through BBB Kentucky. Again, Kelly J------ got the case, and replied that she made the offer of $200 plus one year extended warranty, which I rejected.

So now let me briefly explain my rationale for the rating:
- GE treated us badly. You could judge that from the fact above. I do not have experience with other brands because of the no-return policy, but I couldn't imagine another company treating their customers worse than this.
- Induction Range might be more troublesome to repair than other ranges, due to its unpopularity. The repairman came with a van full of parts and tools, and yet the parts needed to repair our range was not on it. Or anywhere in this country, for that matter. My guess is that the van did contain parts for repairing other, more popular, types of ranges.
- Lastly, if you had to get a GE appliance of any kind, get the cheapest one you could find! Our experience suggests that for economic reasons GE would only provide replacement units of like functionality but of the cheapest price.
on May 26, 2014
If it did everything it is supposed to do, I would be giving it 5 stars ... but it doesn't. Purchased mine late May 2013. Have yet to be able to use all 4 burners at one time. The back burner behind the large burner will not work if the large burner is on. Sometimes it will not even work if the large burner is off. The GE repair person has replaced the entire top TWICE ... and I still have the same problem. So, out of 3 tops, 3 are duds. It is extremely picky about the cookware it will work with. The magnet test means nothing. It isn't even reliable to use the same piece of cookware one day over another (may work one day and not recognize it the next)... in addition to limiting my use of the burners. The convection oven doesn't work all that great either ... but that is another story. Bottom line ... save your money for something that works.
on October 15, 2014
We bought this GE induction range (30" Profile, slide-in) in Oct of 2013 and it still (middle of October 2014) is not working properly! To be specific: the large "burner" heats/cooks water/food slower than the small burners do. It took quite tow different GE repair men to try and fix problem. They both ordered parts to have the parts come in damaged. Its now a year later and finally the GE repair man replaced the burners and board. After trying back to square one, the large burner is still slower than the others. I have concluded its just a bad stove with bad service and a bad company. Very very unsatisfied with every aspect of GE quality control and slow inadequate responses. have a fully functional range.
on February 15, 2015
I first learned about induction cooking when my family and I rented a house in France. At first, I couldn't figure out how to turn the stove on, so I had to call the owner who told me to put the pan on the burner first! Duh! Don't confuse induction with electric. There's absolutely no comparison. The following year, I renovated my kitchen. I used to have a high-end, dual-fuel range. I loved cooking with gas technology and baking with an electric oven, but I love this induction range so much more. Here's why:
* The burners are as responsive and as powerful as gas,
* The burner surface cools down as soon as a pot is removed,
* The surface of the stove can be used as countertop, so it's ideal for extra work space
* It's very safe around young children precisely because the surface cools down so quickly
* The shiny surface is very sleek and looks great against marble or granite,
* Clean-up is super simple. Cleaning my duel fuel used to be a pain: remove the burners, pull the crumb tray out, blah blah. I'll never to back to gas technology.
* Here's the best reason of all - induction is way, way, way less expensive than Viking, Wolf or other designer appliances. We saved a ton and plowed those savings into really nice cabinets and counters. Don't be a slave to price. I've learned that more expensive does not mean better!
on November 7, 2014
Totally frustrated with my GE Induction range which I paid over $2,000 for in August 2013. Last Sunday the front burner made a loud popping sound and we smelled smoke, error code F640. Called for service on Monday the 3rd, gave them the error code and they couldn't fit in a service call for a whole week - scheduled for Monday the 10th. That wasn't bad enough! Just got a phone call from them saying they need to move my service to Friday the 14th because they just NOW figured out they have to order parts and have two service techs available. Seems to be a broken system of scheduling service if they don't know WHEN THEY SCHEDULE THE FIRST TIME what parts will be needed and how much time/how many techs will be required to fix it. Will never purchase GE again.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on March 6, 2013
I had a brand new stove but had heard a ton about these and since I could afford it I gave it a try, wow. this stove is amazing

See 1 answered question