1,069 Reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars Glad I had this!!
Published on November 29, 2008 by Rose-Lynne K. Osborn

2.0 out of 5 stars Great Window Alarm. But You DO NOT GET THE ITEM PICTURED.
UPDATE: 11-25-2013
Thanks to you another customer posting a question, I've noticed that amazon replaced the picture with the correct one. However, I am leaving it at a 2-Star rating because the security concern still remains: The Off switch is visible from the outside and, hence, it is too easy to turn off the alarm.

Original Post: 08-23-2011
GE...
Published on August 23, 2011 by NY Dude

5.0 out of 5 stars Glad I had this!!, November 29, 2008
On our recent trip to Egypt and Jordan we stayed at the St. Catherine's Plaza Hotel in Jordan, the hotel was not very secure and had no added security locks or chains on the door. It was 7 am, I was just waking up when I heard steps coming up our staircase outside and then there was a key in our door and our door being unlocked. We had set the GE Smarthome Door alarm the night before and of course when they tried to enter our room the alarm went off scaring them away, I could hear them running very fast down the stairway. I am so glad I had bought this for our trip or we may have had an unwanted stranger in our room. I highly recommend this alarm!

4.0 out of 5 stars A MUST HAVE for traveling and even your house!!! CHECK your door SPACING. Read more for useful tips!, July 16, 2011
R. Frank (Aiea, Hawaii) - See all my reviews
I've been using this for about 3 years and here are some tips for using the GE Smart Home Door Stop Alarm.

1. Before purchasing make sure you have enough door spacing that the door stop alarm can be activated by the door opening and depressing the metal activator on the door stop alarm. (If there is not enough spacing then it will just push the stopper away from the door and won't go off)

2. When putting it in your baggage or luggage for travel I recommend either taking the battery out so it doesn't accidentally turn on in your bag or putting a piece of tape over the switch so it doesn't move.

3. When placing the device in your door, give it a test by opening the door and checking that it will activate the alarm. You can also place something heavy behind the door stop alarm so that it won't slide when the door is opened and touches it, raising the chances that it will depress the activator.

4. Make sure you keep some spare 9V batteries around for this and that you have one before you throw this in your bag. Check the battery by testing the alarm before you pack it away.

5. Place this on your door at every hotel you visit. This also makes a great gift for frequent travelers.

6. You need a small Phillips head to access the battery compartment.

If you have more feel free to add them below. Thanks!

4.5 stars for it being too easy to accidentally switch the alarm to on in your bag and a pain in the butt to change the battery. You need a small Phillips head to access the battery compartment.

5.0 out of 5 stars Affordable and Works Great!, January 30, 2008
Even though I keep a gun next to my bed, it really bothered me that if someone managed to get into my house, I probably wouldn't wake up in time to get to it. (I'm a VERY deep sleeper and my bedroom's on the 2nd floor)

I'm so glad I decided to order this!

It's VERY loud and the 4 I ordered work on all my doors leading outside.

I even found a way to use this on my sliding glass door. By propping it gently against the sliding part of the door, and then putting something heavy behind it, to hold it in place, the alarm will go off if the door's opened.

Like the other reviewer said, I love that it's portable, so I can bring it with me to hotels and stuff.

Anyways, between how well it works, the simplicity of using it and the very reasonable price. I very highly recommend this!

5.0 out of 5 stars Effective and LOUD, May 21, 2009
This product will not disappoint you. 120 decibels is no joke. Fire/Police sirens are approx. 120 decibels. Gunshot approx. 140. Most sound charts start the pain threshold at 125. Excellent product and a cheap/simple security measure. Understand this is just an added level of security (like a tall fence, door lock), not an all-encompassing security solution. I'm not worried about amateur/undetermined intruders now. However, now I'm worried about waking the dead... that might be problematic. They're always so angry.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect!, May 7, 2010
I bought these to put on our back sliding doors so I'd know when the kids went outside. I love the chime feature, its loud enough to hear through most of the house. They go on so easily, and are inexpensive. The alarm feature is LOUD...so they'd work great for that purpose, too. There is also an off switch, so that's nice.

2.0 out of 5 stars Great Window Alarm. But You DO NOT GET THE ITEM PICTURED., August 23, 2011
This review is from: GE Personal Security Window/Door Alarm (Tools & Hardware)
UPDATE: 11-25-2013

Original Post: 08-23-2011
GE makes very good and LOUD Window Alarms. The reason for the low rating is that the item on the picture is not the item that is being shipped. Beware of this fact. The one on the picture is a much more secure model since the "on/off" switch is inside of the battery compartment. This design makes it difficult for someone unfamiliar with the device to turn it "Off".

The item that was shipped is also a "GE" Window Alarm, however, a completely different and less secure model. While it has an "Alarm/Chime/off" switch, it is clearly labeled on the outside of the device. Depending on your window, you could actually see the "Off" label from the outside of the window. This makes it extremely easy for anyone to disable the alarm before anyone is able to pinpoint the source of the sound. You would want it to make noise long enough to notice the noise and its location.

The product that arrived makes for a very good Chime. The "Chime" is new on this model. When switched to this mode, it makes a single "Dinnngg/Donnnngg" sound when activated - great for Dorm Rooms or to make sure you hear kids opening a window or door. However, the external and labeled controls on the outside of the device make this a very bad "alarm" that can be too-easily disabled.

This Product link shows the 2-Pack of the one being shipped on this page. Notice the square-shaped speaker as supposed to the round one on the picture. GE 45115 Magnetic Window Alarm, Wireless Battery Operated, 2 Pack

5.0 out of 5 stars GE56789 window/door alarm is great, October 28, 2008
trinitycause (Queens, New York) - See all my reviews
This review is from: GE Personal Security Window/Door Alarm (Tools & Hardware)
This alarm is terrific if you're in an apartment. For a house I would spend the money to have the whole house wired, but for apartments, it does the trick. Put one on each window/door and forget about the $100's in gates and bars. I refuse to be the prisioner in my own abode with gates and bars on the windows... I live in NYC. This alarm is loud and the batteries can be tested without setting it off. If you have old wooden windows it may not line up properly but you have a half inch deviance to play with before it activates, but most of the windows in NYC are energy efficent aluminum double glass..so for $6.06 each they're a bargain. I highly recommend it for apartment living.

5.0 out of 5 stars It works!, December 31, 2008
Its loud, hurts ears, and blocks entrance. Any thing better and you would be paying monthly for it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Inexpensive Security, February 7, 2009
Living alone and on a fixed income, I needed, but could not afford, an elaborate security system. While my 'watch' dog was licking his hand, a man looking for yard work asked how I protected myself from break-ins! This really made me nervous, so I hinted that I was protected by 'Mr. Smith and Wesson' and hurried back into the house!

Usually I can find anything I want on Amazon, so I searched it for 'door and/or window alarms'. Among the choices that showed up was the GE 50246 SmartHome Door Stop Alarm. For the price it seemed to be what I needed to do the job. I got one for each outside door and sleep much more comfortably now, knowing that an earsplitting alarm will sound as soon as anyone attempts to open the door. (My windows are made of small panes that no one could get through, though Amazon also carries an inexpensive alarm that would be ideal for windows.) So even without 'Mr. Smith and Wesson' the noise from the door stops alone would be enough to scare off the Baddest Burglar and bring the neighbors running! I am very glad I made this purchase and would reccommend them for anyone who cannot afford the monitered systems, yet cannot afford to be without some kind of warning device.

4.0 out of 5 stars LOUD, October 6, 2008
J. Hahn "J.Hahn" (Colorado Springs, CO) - See all my reviews
Use ear protection to test this door stopper alarm. It is ear splitting. It is not designed to stop anyone...just let you know the door has been pushed, even slightly.

GE Personal Security Window/Door Alarm