5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect!
I bought these to put on our back sliding doors so I'd know when the kids went outside. I love the chime feature, its loud enough to hear through most of the house. They go on so easily, and are inexpensive. The alarm feature is LOUD...so they'd work great for that purpose, too. There is also an off switch, so that's nice.
Published on May 7, 2010 by BS

3.0 out of 5 stars So, so, LOUD...
Published 5 months ago by Alden Snow

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect!, May 7, 2010
This review is from: GE Personal Security Window/Door Alarm (2 pack) (Tools & Home Improvement)

5.0 out of 5 stars DOES THE JOB WELL, August 29, 2010
It is perfect for the job! This alarm is a basic portable alarm. I have purchased different brands of door alarms and GE is my favorite. The alarm is loud enough -- which is exactly what I want so I can hear it even from another room (let's be real, what is the use of an alarm if I can't really hear it?) and because it's loud, it is truly alarming once you hear it. Another big plus is that the adhesive sticks very well unlike the other brands. Batteries are included -- it's ready to be used as soon as you get it out of the box! I am very satisfied with this product.

4.0 out of 5 stars Inexpensive source of home security, September 26, 2010
I'm very happy with this product. I did not want to spend the money on a central alarm system, but did want some form of security, mostly for the windows in my building. This item is small and fits all my windows. The alarm is also quite loud. The alarm and sensor are secured to the window with double-sided tape, which so far, has been fine, but I would like to see these with a more secure way of holding them to the window.

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than our last ones..., April 1, 2012
We bought these to replace the super cheap ones we initially bought. The ones we had (not GE) would go off at any given time, never mind that the door was closed and locked. After being woken up several times to the false alarms those presented us with, we decided it was time to upgrade and throw those pieces of crap in the trash. These GE ones are what we purchased and boy, what a difference! They actually do what they're supposed to do! Imagine that! :) We put them our sliding glass door and our garage door. They were very easy to install and the alarm is pretty loud. We don't have any issues with hearing it throughout our "average" sized home (2 levels, roughly 1500 sq ft). My only complaint is that the chime mode actually seems to be louder than the alarm, but unless you're running a store out of your house (or you own a store and that's why you're buying these), you will probably never use that mode. Overall, a great purchase for the price. Well worth the peace of mind you get - and the discount on your homeowners insurance!! :D (If you're looking for something REALLY loud for a larger house or whatever reason, I'd suggest the Deluxe version that GE offers, which we purchased for our front door. It claims to be the same decibels, but it is MUCH louder!)

3.0 out of 5 stars So, so, LOUD..., June 30, 2014
We used to pay for a security service and the one thing I miss are the door chimes to alert me when the exterior doors open. They were just a chime, like a doorbell- loud enough to hear throughout the house, but not too loud. Although this one has a chime feature, it is not any quieter than the alarm. Both are unbearably loud. I found it amusing that in the instructions, it says to cover it with something or to cover your ears while testing it, so as to not damage your hearing.

I think this system is really intended for nighttime use, or for when you are away from the house. Regular use for a family of kids going in and out of the doors all day would be unbearable. I had to return these. I want to know when the kids are going in and out, but not at the expense of my hearing.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great buy for a great price!, June 24, 2011
K. Kukla (Lincolnshire, IL USA) - See all my reviews
My daughter loves to escape and not everyone remembers to lock the doors, so I was desperate to find something to alarm me when the front door or sliding glass door was opened. I thought for such little money that these wouldn't be that great, but took a chance anyhow. COMPLETELY WORTH IT! And man, are they loud! Maybe because we have wood floors throughout and not much carpet to absorb the sound, but to tone it down a bit, we just put a piece of scotch tape over the speaker. These peel and stick to the door and frame in seconds. They would be great just about anywhere you need to be alarmed when opened, like a window or medicine cabinet, etc. You can easily slide the switch to off so disabling them is easy too. I'm going to order another set to cover every "Exit" since my daughter is truly the next houdinni. Better to be safe than sorry!

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Noise Makers, Not Sure About Effectiveness, November 1, 2012
I ordered 8 of these devices to add to all of the windows in my home. I actually have a real alarm system with door sensors and motion sensors, but the motion sensors only cover the living room and hallways, not the bedrooms, my garage, or utility room.

I don't expect these to thwart professional thieves, but opportunist teenagers that might want to steal something from my bedroom could possibly be swayed from entering the house.

These offer 3 settings, Off, On, and Chirp. I actually use the Chirp setting for all of mine because then I can open the window, hear the chirp and leave it like that without having to turn it off while the window is open and remember to turn it back on when I close the window. The Chirp setting only goes off after re-opening the window. I feel as though its the more fool proof method.

Overall, these things do what they're supposed to. They don't claim to be a fully functional alarm, and there is no guarantee they will even prevent your home from being robbed, but every little bit helps. Ive had these for over a year and am still on the original batteries.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works Great, October 23, 2010
We ordered this for the office so we could hear when people walk in. The optional chime and alarm settings are very good. They are loud and they always work. We have the two components about half an inch apart and it works just fine. I would recommend this product.

5.0 out of 5 stars GE 45115 Window Alarm, September 1, 2010
Item is just what I needed. Loud enough to be heard when someone enters or leaves. Just what I needed for my small children. Simple, battery operated with switch on the side to turn on, chime or alarm. Can't beat the price.

3.0 out of 5 stars they're OK, August 31, 2010
L. Erley (Southern boy) - See all my reviews
I read the other reviews before posting this one. In the first review, the poster stated the alarm was loud enough to hear, in most of the house. I think that is a perfectly accurate statement.

The reason, I'm only giving these alarms an average rating (3 star) is because I want to be able to hear an alarm throughout all the whole house! I want the alarm to be loud enough to wake me in a dead sleep, from the other side of the house! I want an intrusion alarm to be loud enough to wake my neighbors (and there is NO way these alarms will)!

The package claimed the alarms were 120 db. As someone who is familiar with decibels, I can guaranty these alrms are NOWHERE near 120 db!