Professional restaurant supplies Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Sixx AM Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Made in Italy Amazon Gift Card Offer out2 out2 out2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now SnS

Size: 1 Pack|Change

on February 16, 2015
At nap last week my 3 year old decided to open all of his windows and yelled out them. Note that our windows in that room have a built in tab that blocks the window from opening... He managed to get the window open without even disengaging those tabs.

I haven't found any baby proofing items that I was confident he wouldn't hack or overpower so I decided to order these AND some additional baby proofing items. I installed them while he wasn't looking- this is key. They're pretty easy to switch off. I don't want him knowing they're there until he opens a window.

These make a great loud chime or alarm, depending on which setting you chose. You can also turn it off. I had to install mine on the right side of window in order to not block my access to switch. The battery pack is installed facing room for easy access- but the problem I have is that means my son can get to the batteries. It would be bad if he ate one, but he seems to be past that stage so I'm hoping it will be okay. I think you could install this differently by putting batteries towards window, but then you'd need to replace the sticker whenever you changed them and I don't believe it would install as nicely. In my ideal world that battery pack would be difficult to open.

For my sliding door, it works better because I was able to install it so high that he can't ever reach it. I used alarm for his room and chime for sliding door.

As you can see in photo, the pieces don't need to be side by side perfectly (for my windows and door, they couldn't be installed exactly next to each other).
review image
33 comments|80 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 7, 2010
I bought these to put on our back sliding doors so I'd know when the kids went outside. I love the chime feature, its loud enough to hear through most of the house. They go on so easily, and are inexpensive. The alarm feature is LOUD...so they'd work great for that purpose, too. There is also an off switch, so that's nice.
33 comments|147 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 27, 2015
Our 6 year old son is nonverbal autistic, and has recently figured out the latch-style childproofing locks that we've had on our doors for a few years now. We've had a couple of terrifyingly close calls with him almost running away, and knew we needed to step up our security before something really bad happened.

These are perfect. They have off, chime, or alarm positions. We keep them on chime during the day so that if anyone goes out we hear a very loud chime (I can hear it easily from anywhere in the house). I like that option because we do need to go in and out the doors during the day, and the chime is loud but not as awful as if the alarm went off every time. They work with almost any door, even or kitchen door where the sensor had to be positioned a little whopper-jawed (see pic).

At night we switch it to alarm so it would wake us up if the door opened. This is not likely because we have turned his doorknob around so we can lock him in his room at night. That may sound cruel if you don't have an autistic child, but it is the only way to keep him safe at night, since he regularly wakes up in the middle of the night. We never leave him in there crying or anything, but our door is just across the hall and we want to have to wake up and let him out when he wakes up so we know he is up.

I also put some of these on alarm on the bedroom windows. He hasn't yet tried to get out the window, but I didn't want to wait until he did. It also gives me more peace of mind at night in case someone tried to break in, especially when my husband isn't home.

I highly recommend these!
on August 29, 2010
It is perfect for the job! This alarm is a basic portable alarm. I have purchased different brands of door alarms and GE is my favorite. The alarm is loud enough -- which is exactly what I want so I can hear it even from another room (let's be real, what is the use of an alarm if I can't really hear it?) and because it's loud, it is truly alarming once you hear it. Another big plus is that the adhesive sticks very well unlike the other brands. Batteries are included -- it's ready to be used as soon as you get it out of the box! I am very satisfied with this product.
on August 23, 2011
UPDATE: 11-25-2013
Thanks to you another customer posting a question, I've noticed that amazon replaced the picture with the correct one. However, I am leaving it at a 2-Star rating because the security concern still remains: The Off switch is visible from the outside and, hence, it is too easy to turn off the alarm.

Original Post: 08-23-2011
GE makes very good and LOUD Window Alarms. The reason for the low rating is that the item on the picture is not the item that is being shipped. Beware of this fact. The one on the picture is a much more secure model since the "on/off" switch is inside of the battery compartment. This design makes it difficult for someone unfamiliar with the device to turn it "Off".

The item that was shipped is also a "GE" Window Alarm, however, a completely different and less secure model. While it has an "Alarm/Chime/off" switch, it is clearly labeled on the outside of the device. Depending on your window, you could actually see the "Off" label from the outside of the window. This makes it extremely easy for anyone to disable the alarm before anyone is able to pinpoint the source of the sound. You would want it to make noise long enough to notice the noise and its location.

The product that arrived makes for a very good Chime. The "Chime" is new on this model. When switched to this mode, it makes a single "Dinnngg/Donnnngg" sound when activated - great for Dorm Rooms or to make sure you hear kids opening a window or door. However, the external and labeled controls on the outside of the device make this a very bad "alarm" that can be too-easily disabled.

This Product link shows the 2-Pack of the one being shipped on this page. Notice the square-shaped speaker as supposed to the round one on the picture. GE 45115 Magnetic Window Alarm, Wireless Battery Operated, 2 Pack
88 comments|96 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 26, 2010
I'm very happy with this product. I did not want to spend the money on a central alarm system, but did want some form of security, mostly for the windows in my building. This item is small and fits all my windows. The alarm is also quite loud. The alarm and sensor are secured to the window with double-sided tape, which so far, has been fine, but I would like to see these with a more secure way of holding them to the window.
on October 28, 2008
This alarm is terrific if you're in an apartment. For a house I would spend the money to have the whole house wired, but for apartments, it does the trick. Put one on each window/door and forget about the $100's in gates and bars. I refuse to be the prisioner in my own abode with gates and bars on the windows... I live in NYC. This alarm is loud and the batteries can be tested without setting it off. If you have old wooden windows it may not line up properly but you have a half inch deviance to play with before it activates, but most of the windows in NYC are energy efficent aluminum double glass..so for $6.06 each they're a bargain. I highly recommend it for apartment living.
22 comments|63 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 24, 2011
My daughter loves to escape and not everyone remembers to lock the doors, so I was desperate to find something to alarm me when the front door or sliding glass door was opened. I thought for such little money that these wouldn't be that great, but took a chance anyhow. COMPLETELY WORTH IT! And man, are they loud! Maybe because we have wood floors throughout and not much carpet to absorb the sound, but to tone it down a bit, we just put a piece of scotch tape over the speaker. These peel and stick to the door and frame in seconds. They would be great just about anywhere you need to be alarmed when opened, like a window or medicine cabinet, etc. You can easily slide the switch to off so disabling them is easy too. I'm going to order another set to cover every "Exit" since my daughter is truly the next houdinni. Better to be safe than sorry!
on November 12, 2015
AWESOME! Just what I needed. These suckers are LOUD and easy to install. Installation took a whole 2 minutes - for both doors! Your time may vary depending on how far apart your doors are :) I bought these because I have an adventurous toddler with older siblings who often forget to shut the door and we live on a very busy street. And while my 14 month old can't open the front door yet, he'll be able to soon enough. Three modes: Off, Chime, and Alarm. There is no volume control and the alarm mode is about as loud as a fire alarm - you will hear this go off anywhere in the house! The Chime just dings twice and then you can leave the door open. The Alarm setting will not shut off until the door is closed again. The two alarms came with 3M adhesive backing. Because I live in a house built in 1906 on the California coast, my doors do not sit flush. Please see attached pics for how far apart each alarm is - both still work beautifully! I attached the alarms at the top of the door so the kids can't reach them. Be sure to remove the plastic piece in the battery compartment before installing.
review image review image review image review image
on February 22, 2015
These worked great for me. We have a professionally installed and monitored security system, but had two rooms that only had glass breakage/motion detector sensors. These were perfect as added security. I also installed one at the bottom of my Pella roll-away screen, so that I can activate it when I have the screen open. Then, I'll know if my young grandson is going out, or someone else is coming in.

As some have mentioned, I didn't want these mounted where they were visible from outside. But, I was able to mount these at the bottom of my window, under the lip, so it's not at all visible. Yet, I can still get my finger under the bottom to turn it on and off. There are lots of mounting options.