Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Men's Leather Watches Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums All-New Amazon Fire TV Subscribe & Save Valentine's Day Cards Bring a little greenery into your home Amazon Gift Card Offer jstfd6 jstfd6 jstfd6  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Lisa Loeb AMO Winter Sports on Amazon.com Sale

on October 23, 2008
We were already successfully using one Instajack set to hook up the DVR on our satellite TV system to the phone line on the other side of our living room. Later we wanted to add an additional telephone jack in a bedroom on the other side of our home. I purchased the second receiver and installed it in the room. This room, while on the same floor, is separated by about 50 feet and down a hall (with several walls) from the original transmitter. As far as the installation, I followed the instructions and had both receivers programed to the one transmitter in no time. Now both the DishDVR, and the telephone in the bedroom, dial and receive calls flawlessly.
For those Instajack users who are having problems dialing out with their satellite receivers, and also have DSL internet; we also initially had some trouble dialing out, but we realized that we had failed to put a DSL filter on the Instajack receiver. Since we've corrected that, we haven't had any further trouble.
0Comment27 of 28 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon December 26, 2008
I returned a different brand after it quit working only a few days after installing it. That brand also had hissing background noise.

This product is much better as it has no noticeable background noise at all. It works like it's directly connected to the phone line.
on June 26, 2007
The package said this jack would work with computers as well as phones, but I found that when I used it for dial-up internet service in our vacation home it was completely unstable, cutting me off every 30 seconds to 1 minute or so. Then I would have to jump through many hoops to get connected again. When I gave up on the thing and reverted to my old method of connecting by stretching a phone wire across the kitchen to get to the phone jack, everything worked just fine. I was very disappointed and had to "eat crow" for being so gullible as to believe the package claims without checking any further. Maybe the unit would work for a phone jack, but it sure didn't for an internet connection. My local phone company told me as much when I called them for help.

GE TL86597 InstaJack Wireless Phoneline Jack
11 comment12 of 14 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 8, 2015
Although we are active participants in the National "Do Not Call" program, we are besieged with unwanted telephone calls throughout the entire day. The primary goal for making this purchase was to provide a telephone connection to the back of our DISH DVR to permit us to see the Caller ID information at the top of our television screen. The existing telephone jack is across the room in our family room and is about 22' from our DISH DVR. This product has met or exceeded this requirement. There is also no static or degraded audio when the existing portable telephone is being used, which also uses the same telephone connection jack.

Before making this purchase I also considered several other possible solutions from the Amazon website: AudioVox ($27.85), Radio Shack ($44.00), Phonex ($54.99), and GE ($119.99). This was a somewhat difficult task based on the information from the "Customer Reviews". The reviews covered a very long period of time (circa 2006 to present) and range from a rating of One Star to Five Stars, with every possible rating in between these ratings. I could not determine which were valid, objective, based upon the results after following the manufacturer's recommended installation procedures, or attempted installation in applications not recommended by the manufacturer, etc.

My final decision was based on the response to a customer question and the manufacturer's "Information" at the Amazon website. It is also the most expensive solution.

Before this product arrived I went to the GE website, downloaded and read the installation instructions several times. I also searched the Internet for installation and post-installation problems for this product. I also read the responses that are available from the Customer Q&As.. I then followed each of the procedural steps during the actual installation process.

NOTE: The product does not include a telephone connection cord that will be used to connect the "Extension Unit" to the intended device (i.e. DISH DVR). If needed, you should obtain one before this product arrives. I already had one from the many Dell PCs that I have purchased in the past.

I did notice that both units utilize two-prong electrical connections and not the expected three-prong version, the third round connection being associated with a Ground. If I am correct, unwanted static and degraded performance can be related to either a loss of, or poor Ground connectivity. Therefore, this third wire availability could potentially resolve some of the application installation static problems that has been reported by other Amazon customers.

I first plugged in the "Base Unit" and the green light appeared, just as stated in the instructions. The existing telephone line was connected to the appropriate port, then I reconnected the existing remote telephone to the second (other) port on the "Base Unit" and tested the telephone connection. No static or degraded connection.

I then plugged in the "Extension Unit" and the handshake-connectivity (green light appeared on the "Extension Unit") was achieved on the "Extension Unit" instantaneously. Success!! Then I connected my second telephone cord to my DISH DVR. Both green lights remained on. I had already configured our DISH DVR to accept (function or provide) the Caller ID information. I tested it using my cell phone and all of the information was correctly presented on our television screen. This unit has been working perfectly since it was first installed. I also believe that there is a one-year product warranty from the manufacturer and a toll-free number to call for assistance, if needed.

Final Note: This product requires an electrical connection for both units and the connectivity could be lost during weather related electrical outages. Be sure to keep the installation instructions in either hard or soft copy for these future eventualities.
on March 22, 2010
I bought this because my kids (I think) did something in the bowels of my house -- I still don't know what -- and the multi-line phone jack that's nearest my DishNetwork receiver quit and it's beyond me to figure it out. Since Dish charges 5.00/month not to be connected to the phone, I think this InstaJack has paid for itself now. I haven't hooked a real phone up to it - so I have no idea about dial tone, or consistency - I just know that Dishnetwork is happy that I'm "hooked back up" to the phone line and I'm not paying them the privilege of having the receiver on my shelf.

All I did was take it out of the plastic wrapper, plug the line in, plug both boxes into walls at opposite ends of the house and the lights turned on and stayed green - and we ordered a movie! The one time they changed color I discovered someone had disconnected the phone line from the wall outlet.

I'm going to try buying an additional extension and hook my printer/scanner/fax machine to see if i can get back in the fax game again. Unfortunately, it looks like the extra extension doesn't come "free" via Amazon Prime though :(
22 comments8 of 9 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 4, 2007
I give one star because it's a great idea for anybody who has a phone jack in an inconvenient place. I bought this because I thought it would solve my need to move the base unit of our cordless phone from one side of a room to the other. Boy was I wrong! Great idea, poor execution! The transmitter and receiver are IN THE SAME ROOM and can't maintain a signal. It seems like the cordless signal interferes, which is ridiculous. I couldn't get a signal at all when I moved the transmitter to a different room. When you read the instructions, they give you a whole list of things that interefere -- why can they make a cordless phone that works throughout the house, but they can't make this work better?!
11 comment10 of 13 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 27, 2009
I have had the GE InstaJack for about six months in the bathroom (no typical phone jack there) to connect an automated weight scale that reports my weight daily to a "remote nurse." I have a heart condition and my health insurance provided the scale and the nursing service. Too much information, maybe? The receiver is in the next room, across the hall, where there's a phone jack. The InstaJack worked right out of the box and I have not had any problems with it. I have used the InstaJack with the phone company DSL service (put a filter on the phone line) and now, with the cable company's cable internet and phone service. My use of the unit is not the same as so many other persons' use, as reported in the other reviews here, so I am sure I was not very demanding of the unit. However, for me, it worked and is working.
on August 3, 2007
I bought this to enable connecting my satellite reciever. It worked in the beginning for about a week with no problems. Then it started acting up. The extension unit would lose the connection about 2-3 times a day. Sometimes it would self-restore, sometimes needed to reset. It was a nuisance but we tolerated it. Then about a month after we bought it, it completely failed to connect. I tried all the troubleshooting tips, and even did the new channel set-up shown in the manual. I work in electronics, so I tried other ideas I knew as well. Still doesn't work. No choice left but to try and return it (and I don't have the original package either so it could be a problem). $60 down the drain :( . Don't buy it. I now am going to run a line through the walls for an extra jack!
11 comment7 of 9 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 12, 2015
It works as advertised. We did have some stack on the line using one outlet, but it went away when we installed it in a different outlet. I can't explain the static/interference on the line, but I am not complaining as it got the job done. The call quality is slightly degraded using this device, but for the price this is definitely a 4 star item that I would recommend.
on May 24, 2015
This really did work as advertised! Solved the problem in my Mom's house where the old wiring failed and we didn't want to tear up the walls to find the problem.