Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Men's Leather Watches Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon St Lucia Explore Home Audio All-New Amazon Fire TV Subscribe & Save Valentine's Day Cards Knock snow out cold Amazon Gift Card Offer girls2 girls2 girls2  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Shop Now Sale

on September 11, 2012
After seeing that the replacement filter for my refrigerator was about $46 at the home improvement stores (closer to $33 on Amazon), and reading all about how little difference the filter actually made, I decided to spend the $13 on this, and I'm glad that I did. It's a factory GE part, fit perfectly, and did exactly what it was supposed to. My water now comes out with good speed, as it was intended, and the ice maker is back to working efficiently. If the water coming into your house is of decent quality, save yourself hundreds of dollars over the life of the refrigerator and pick this thing up. You'll be glad you did. :)

Note: I use a GE refrigerator and it uses a "MWF" filter. This plug uses the same connector type. Check yours for compatibility.
33 comments53 of 53 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 8, 2014
This item works as it should, and I recommend it if you don't want to do the following - but truth be told there is no reason to buy it if you are handy enough to change a light bulb. Take your old filter off and look at it from the top. You will see a hole in the middle where the water goes into the filter, and two small rectangular areas 180 degrees apart that are right up against the hole. These small rectangular passages are where the water flows back into the fridge. Take a drill, or a file, or a knife, or any handy sharp object and file away the plastic between the center hole and the rectangular passages. Its only about 1/16" thick, so its very easy to accomplish. Wash off any plastic shavings and re-install the filter. Voila! Now the water "bypasses" the filter and you will have great water pressure again and no more hollow ice cubes! McGuyver approved this message!
99 comments22 of 23 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 20, 2012
This is exactly what we were looking for, just didn't know if it existed! We have well water so we don't really need a filter, but had to buy them or we couldn't get ice or water through our fridge. Filters are so expensive, and have to be replaced too often. This filter bypass plug works just fine, and our water tastes great!
11 comment9 of 10 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 18, 2011
If you use reverse osmosis, it doesn't create enough pressure to get a good flow going through the internal fridge filter. This bypass does the job.
0Comment13 of 16 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 18, 2014
This worked perfectly. Just screws on just like you would a new filter. If you no longer have a need for a filter (mine was the GE MWF model), this is what you want.
on October 6, 2011
Perfect fit for my GE. Thought I lost my original so I ordered this one. It was lower priced than anywhere else!
on April 23, 2014
My fridge model wasn't listed but it uses the MWF type filter, so I figured I would give it a try. It fits great and finally gets rid of the annoying useless filter. We have a whole house filter so it was redundant. I just wish I could disable the filter change idiot light.
on September 9, 2015
This is so easy to install, was less expensive to purchase than a disposable filter, the little red light has turned to green and I haven't tasted any difference in the taste of my water at all! My husband hated changing the water filter on our fridge and I hated seeing the red light go off right in the middle of having company. I decided to go ahead and get one on Amazon because he never would buy one. It was while I was searching that I discovered this fabulous little easy to use gadget, the GE WR02X11705 Cap Filter Bypass for Refrigerator. I crossed my fingers that it would work and it DOES! We've had it installed for about a week and everything works just as it always has...except for one thing.... my fridge no longer makes the noise it use to make. I don't know why that happened but it doesn't. I use to make a sort of humming noise...not just when it was filling the ice chamber but just "whenever". Oh I'm not saying this will stop the noise of your fridge, just sharing what happened to ours.

The HUGE plus with having this filter is that now my husband doesn't get upset with having to buy & install another disposable filter. What a fabulous savings this will be. PLUS, I now have just a little more space at the back of the fridge because this takes up so much LESS room.

Although I am a product tester / reviewer and test several products each week, I purchased this filter bypass on my own at regular price. No matter which way I'm buying products, I always pre-test each item and give my honest & unbiased opinion.
on December 31, 2013
This bypass cap replaces the GE MWF model refrigerator water filter if you choose not to replace the filter.

When the water from the refrigerator began flowing very slowly I looked for a new filter. The prices seem to be ridiculously high for an OEM GE replacement filter. Therefore, I ordered a bypass cap to be done with filter replacement once and for all.

The bypass cap screwed in easily and fit perfectly, It did not leak. However, once it had been installed absolutely NO water flowed from the refrigerator. From reading most of the other reviews it appeared as this cap was the solution to slow or no water flow. One review did state that after installation the water flow stopped completely, So now this is the second review that says the same thing.

I replaced the original filter and the water began flowing again, although just as slowly as before. But some water is better than no water.

I am not going to send this item back. I'll just keep using the existing filter until the water flow stops. There are non-GE filters that will fit my refrigerator model at lower prices. So I might just try one of those.

The bottom line here is with this bypass cap you don't know until you install it whether it will improve water flow or totally stop it.
on February 3, 2014
Worked great, was easy to install, provides a little more space in the fridge, and allows me to stop purchasing expensive and unnecessary water filters for my fridge. My guess is most people who purchase the GE filters would be much better off if they spent their money on one of these bypasses than on a tiny over-priced filter.

If you do insist on filtering your water, I'd highly recommend an inline filter on the water line running to your fridge, you can get one that is easy to install, significantly bigger, and cheaper to maintain.

The only reason I didn't give it 5 stars is the price, it's just a piece of plastic, could easily be priced at just a few bucks.